2007.0 boot splash icon problem [Still not resolved...]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: 2007.0 boot splash icon problem [Still not resolved...] Reply with quote

I switched my bootsplash theme to 2007.0. Now, during the boot process, it can't stop repeating "Starting XDM..." and showing the Xdm icon. No other icon is shown. Any hint?

Last edited by WildChild on Wed May 30, 2007 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
di1bert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy

I know on my system XDM is one of the last system services to start up. Does X actually
start on your system ? What happens when you remove xdm from the default run level ?

-m
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, xdm (gdm) is automatically started at the end of the boot process. If I remove xdm from the default run-level, the same problem happens but with the "netmount" icon. The theme cannot stop cycling this icon. The progress bar works perfectly.
funklord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2007.0 boot splash icon problem Reply with quote

WildChild wrote:
I switched my bootsplash theme to 2007.0. Now, during the boot process, it can't stop repeating "Starting XDM..." and showing the Xdm icon. No other icon is shown. Any hint?

I have no idea if this will help, but I remembered seeing this and thought it might help. In the ebuild for splash-themes-livecd-2007.0.ebuild:

Code:

if ! built_with_use media-gfx/splashutils mng
    then
        ewarn "MNG support is missing from splashutils.  You will not see the"
        ewarn "service icons as services are starting."
    fi
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNG support is enabled in splashutils. 2006.1 theme works OK. Only 2007.0 theme has the problem.
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anoyne have any idea? I'm still stuck with this problem of boot icons stuck and cycling on "Starting xdm". The progress bar works.

Thanks
hansmaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007.0 boot splash icon problem [Still not resolved...] Reply with quote

WildChild wrote:

I have the same problem. Would be interested in any help on this problem.

Looking at the .cfg files, there are differences between the 2007.0 and 2006.1 version, but, then again so it is with the image-files.
Maybe it is time for an update?
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found someone else with the problem on the italian forum. Again, no solution...

I opened a bugtrack entry:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182065

Still waiting for a reply.
hansmaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splashutils seems to be stuck at the end of the list of icons it is supposed to show.

Changed the splash startup from boot to default without any change in it's behaviour.
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you think it's a problem with splashutils or with this particular thème scripts? 2006.0 and 2006.1 themes have no problem like that.
hansmaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a script-error. Have tried fiddeling with the script to figure out what the author has been trying to achive, and while the 2006.1 script is pretty easy to understand (although Idon't know the first thing about perl, which I guess is the language used) the 2007.0 is not so straight forward in the section that put the icons on the screen.

relevant section in 2007.0 script:
Code:

if [ "${P_ERROR}" -eq "0" ]; then
  P_SERVICES="$(splash_svclist_get start)"
  for service in ${P_SERVICES}; do
    if [ -z "${P_ICONS/* ${service} */}" ]; then
      if [ "${P_ICONTYPE}" = "mng" ]; then
        echo "anim loop icons/${service}.mng ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_start ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      else
        echo "icon icons/${service}.png ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_start ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      fi
      echo "icon icons/${service}_started.png ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_started ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      echo "icon icons/${service}_failed.png ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_start_failed ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
    fi
  done
fi

Same section of code in the 2006.1 script:
Code:
if [ "${P_ERROR}" -eq "0" ]; then
  P_SERVICES="$(splash_svclist_get start)"
  for service in ${P_SERVICES}; do
    if [ -z "${P_ICONS/* ${service} */}" ]; then
      echo -e "icon icons/unlit_${service}.png ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_start ${service}\nicon icons/unlit_${service}.png ${P_ICONX} ${P_ICONY} svc_inactive_start ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      if [ "${P_ICONX}" -eq "0" ]; then
        echo -e "icon icons/lit_${P_RESOLUTION}_${P_ICONX}.png ${P_ICONX} $((${P_ICONY} - 34)) svc_started ${service}\nicon icons/lit_${P_RESOLUTION}_${P_ICONX}.png ${P_ICONX} $((${P_ICONY} - 34)) svc_start_failed ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      else
        echo -e "icon icons/lit_${P_RESOLUTION}_${P_ICONX}.png $((${P_ICONX} - 4)) $((${P_ICONY} - 34)) svc_started ${service}\nicon icons/lit_${P_RESOLUTION}_${P_ICONX}.png $((${P_ICONX} - 4)) $((${P_ICONY} - 34)) svc_start_failed ${service}" >>"${P_TEMPDIR%/}/${P_RESOLUTION}.cfg"
      fi
      P_ICONX="$((${P_ICONX} + ${P_ICONW}))"
    fi
    if [ "$((${P_ICONX} + ${P_ICONW}))" -gt "$((${P_RESOLUTION%x*} - 40))" ]; then
      break
    fi
  done
fi

Will look further into it
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The script looks more like a sh/bash one. ;) I'll try to look at it too when I have time.
hansmaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I found the problem.

Code:
P_ICONX and P_ICONY are placeholders for where on the screen to put the icons
ICON_W is the width of the icons

As you can see in the 2006.1 script, the value in P_ICONX is increased with P_ICONW (the width of the icon) for each icon placed on the screen.
In the 2007.0 script, no such thing happens, ie. the icons are placed on top of each other and as such, we only sees the icon placed last, that is the XDM- icon.

Either the author means to place the icons in a row after eachother, if so he forgot to increase the P_ICONX of each icon shown on the screen
or
he wanted to show the relevant icon for the process happening at a given moment, and if so, he should have inserted a break in the code after the relevant icon is shown to prevent the loop from ending with the XDM icon every time it runs
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guess! I'll take a look at it soon! I know that on the livecd, the theme works fine. Maybe I could diff the livecd script with the ebuild script.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: