Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 2007.0 maybe a stupid question, but...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papapenguin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2007.0 maybe a stupid question, but... Reply with quote

OK, I've been running Gentoo Linux 2006 for a while, and I'm wondering if it is necessary to rebuild my system in 2007.0?!?

I realize the packages may be stale, of which, perhaps leading to problems on updates to my system. I also have a problem using my touchpad since kernel 2.6.18.

If so, is it possible to upgrade the system to 2007.0 AND keep my current files? This one I'm trying to solve, but haven't found the answer yet.

As I said, it may be a stupid question...
joysofpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe emerge -uDN should get you the most recent versions of any installed packages. 2007.0 gets you a more up to date system when you first install, but after you sync and update I don't think there should be any difference between 2006 and 2007.0.
tboloo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 2007.0 maybe a stupid question, but... Reply with quote

papapenguin wrote:
OK, I've been running Gentoo Linux 2006 for a while, and I'm wondering if it is necessary to rebuild my system in 2007.0?!?

I realize the packages may be stale, of which, perhaps leading to problems on updates to my system. I also have a problem using my touchpad since kernel 2.6.18.

If so, is it possible to upgrade the system to 2007.0 AND keep my current files? This one I'm trying to solve, but haven't found the answer yet.

As I said, it may be a stupid question...

Just do
Code:
eselesct profile list

and
Code:
eselect profile set default-linux/x86/2007.0

and emerge -pu --newuse world to see what is goign to change.
Basically upgrading profile is connected with nothing more than couple of changed USE flags, and maybe with couple of additional programs, to go with those updated USE flags, so it's perfectly save to upgrade to 2007 profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: