alsa, via82xx, hardware and kernels
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: alsa, via82xx, hardware and kernels Reply with quote

Ok, I just want to get a sort of centralized source of information on the semi-infamous alsa + via sound driver that supposedly became broken in 0.9.0rc7 and became refixed, but only working ok for some people even up to the current version of 0.9.3c. I've been mulling over the various mailing lists for a while and it seems there are a lot of solutions to try but none guaranteed to work. So, in an effort to cut down on the questions that pop up about this common sound driver, please write down all of your relevant information here (motherboard chipset, sound card type, alsa drivers tried, kernels tried, etc.) and, of course, whether or not it works for you and how well. If you've found any patches or got it working on a different distro, note that as well.

For me:
Shuttle SK41G
VIA KM266
VIA8233 soundcard (onboard) (listed on their webpage as Realtek ALC650...)
Code:
Bus  0, device  17, function  5:
Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 80).
      IRQ 22.
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe8ff].

Currently using alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6 (which has been removed from portage, it seems) + 2.4.19 gentoo-sources (continuing to use because bttv compiling broke somewhere in 2.4.20...) with pretty decent results.

I have tried:
- Any 2.4.x kernel + 0.9.0rc6 - works
- Any 2.4.x kernel + 0.9.1 - 0.9.2 - doesn't work/works randomly
- Any 2.4.x kernel + 0.9.3c - off by a bit, plays some things ok, plays video sound way too fast or mplayer stalls with some sort of bad audio driver error
- 2.4.21_rc2r3 (ac-sources) - did some weird things, don't remember what exactly
- Any 2.5.x kernel + any version of alsa (not builtin) - doesn't compile
- 2.5.69-mm8 kernel w/ alsa builtin support - going to try again tonight (experimenting with /dev/adsp - a lot of the same results as 0.9.3x)

Several possible fixes exist on the alsa-devel mailing list and the alsa-user mailing list. I'm going to try some this week and I'll post any results I come up with. I'm dying to get this working how I want it as it is the last real obstacle I have to getting my MythTV/jukebox fully functioning how I want it.

Constructive success stories and suggestions more than welcome, none of that "mine works fine, u r kernel must be fscked" stuff please. :) I'll try anything once.

Edit: Here's a short list of some related threads:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2477&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=53615&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=53692&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=52867&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49649&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47505&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=19778&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47650&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=34574&highlight=via82xx
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27469&highlight=via82xx
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i'm currently running the 2.4.21_rc2-gss kernel
with ALSA v0.9.3c-r1. I had the problem earlier at the switch. This fixed itself apparently later about rc8 or rc9. One thing that I do is compile the kernel with the built in sound driver for via82xx... as a module but I do not install it. then I compile the alsa-drivers afterward. I've also activated APIC in this kernel (the modern interrupt structure which my board supports)

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-7VRX board athlon-xp 1900, via KT333. It uses via 8233ACE and the alsa emulates an Avance logic ALC200/200P rev0 ( uses irq 22) (Sigmatel 9721T Codec 'AC97' chip)

synth and midi are not working /proc says they are 'not enabled in config' although the alsa config file does include them. I've also got the alsa-oss compatability stuff loaded as well.

I remember zapping a few links at one point in /dev or in the saved devfs files. This may not help much but it's worth a shot. Sorry I have not looked at all your links yet, but I suspect something is still screwy with my set-up. I did fool with the command line alsamixer tools somewhat as well to ensure all channels were active .. but I'm only using stereo sound.

derk
elkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54757
elkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54757
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

My config:
Code:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 3802
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium>TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 9
        Region 0: I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mAPME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r5, alsa-driver 0.9.3c-r1. Works with aRTs set to 48 kHz. xmms with the alsa output works but sounds like crap without the fixed 48 kHz, and crashes with the (masked) aRTs driver when I press the play button. Error message:

Code:

GThread-ERROR **: GThread system may only be initialized once.
aborting...

The aRTs driver worked until I've upgraded. But since it's masked I guess I can't complain :(

mplayer and xine (with aRTs driver) have sync problems, everything without the samplerate fixed to 48 kHz by aRTs everything sounds awefull.

xmms, mplayer and xine worked with a previous version (with aRTs driver) of the alsa-driver, now even downgrading doesn't bring them back.

Edit: I've created a ~/.asoundrc containing

Code:

pcm.via82xx {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
                rate 48000
        }
}

ctl.via82xx {
        type hw
        card 0
}

to set the samplerate to fixed 48 kHz like described here.

And now xmms, xine and mplayer run fine (even with a running artsd) using the OSS driver. It's a bit strange, but anyway, if it works... :lol: who cares!

Frank
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a combination of the .asoundrc and acpi=off I've succeeded in getting the development kernel alsa via82xx driver working with the via8233 chip. I assume that the same formula would work with alsa 0.9.3x and a 2.4 kernel. Just an update.

Edit: I was wrong, I still have the "fast video" problem (the audio on video playback goes waaaaaay too fast speeding up the video as well) even with the .asoundrc fix. Back to the drawing board.

Edit 2: Was able to fix the "fast video" problem by adding -speed=0.99 to mplayer's command line. Worked like a charm.

So: Currently using kernel 2.5.70-mm1 w/ built in via8233 alsa support using a combination of a .asoundrc (as listed above), acpi=off and -speed=0.99 on mplayer and everything appears to be working flawlessly. Yay! I'll try some more configurations as time allows.
erob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: forget ALSA - update your kernel and you get perfect sound! Reply with quote

Hi Everybody!

I've been reading about alsa and trying different possibilities for days... all I got was a bad sound (scratched] output, when I got one.

So I read in a german thread the foloowing instruction and it worked perfectly!

The following Solution worked for me using:
Mainboard using VIA KT266 Chipset
onBoard Sound using VIA8233 Chip

1. find out what kernel you have ( uname -a)
if you have linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r2 (this kernel comes with the current gentoo livecd). Solution -> you need to update your kernel. I used kernel version 2.4.21-rc1 and it worked.
2. Forget the Alsa Stuff.. (remove it)

to upgrade your kernel follw the instructions below!

Code:

cd /usr/src
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.21-rc1.bz2
tar xvjpf linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2
bzip2 -d patch-2.4.21-rc1.bz2
cat patch-2.4.21-rc1 | patch -p0 2>&1 | tee patch.out
mv linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4.21-rc1

3. Don't forget to backup your kernel (/usr/src/linux/.config in /root)
4. rm /usr/src/linux [/color (delete the symlink to your current old kernel)
5. [color=green]ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-rc1 /usr/src/linux
(make new symlink)
6. restore your backup of the kernel config

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
sound section of the kernel
<m> VIA82C686 Audio Codec
<m> oss sound modules

an rebulid your kernel!

after reboot add the following line to your /etc/modules.autoload
via82cxxx_audio

Done! :D :D :D
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview your posts before posting!
There are lots of errors with the BBCode in your post.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: forget ALSA - update your kernel and you get perfect sou Reply with quote

erob wrote:
2. Forget the Alsa Stuff.. (remove it)

As much as some people would like to, it's here to stay. That's why the goal is to get Alsa working properly - it's the future "standard" for Linux audio (being included in the kernel with OSS listed as "deprecated") so we might as well make it work. Otherwise, a good piece of knowledge. I haven't really gotten to try any other configs since I've been busy with real life (and it's currently working ok albeit a bit funky sounding sometimes), but I plan on continuing to mess with it.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I found a solution that's perfect for me.

After the "breakage" of via82xx, the sound started becoming very digital sounding, but only the midrange (some guitars and voices on music and video files, for instance). After a whole lotta experimentation, I combined 2.4.21-rc6-ac1 with alsa driver 0.9.0-rc6 and it sounds and works flawlessly (for 2 channel sound, I have no idea about any other channels). You still have to slow down mplayer with the -speed switch, but the sound is once again crystal clear and operational against a modern kernel. The ebuild for 0.9.0-rc6 is gone from portage, but the 0.9.0-rc2 ebuild version bumped to -rc6 works (note that 0.9.0-rc2 doesn't work quite right).

As with all things, YMMV - but for those who have a Shuttle SK41G/VIA KM266 chipset, this may be the answer for you.

Edit: I just realized that I mistyped the speed switch above. I think it should be:
Code:
mplayer -speed 0.99

NOT
Code:
mplayer -speed=0.99
yeppa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just installed the lastest Gentoo (2.4.20-gentoo-r6) and can't get the sound working properly (with the via82xx on a Shuttle SK41G).
I followed the alsa guide from the gentoo doc but in vain.. I also searched the forums and found a great number of posts but nothing seems to work!

any insight would be greatly appreciated
thanks

y-
daSilVetZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried sources other than the gentoo ones? :)

:: TiBook 1Ghz :: 768 RAM :: 60GB HD+80GB Ext FW
:: 19" EN9110 LCD ::
:: iSight :: Apple Wireless Mouse :: iPod mini Silver::
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think this is where this post really belongs, if the mods want to delete the other one please feel free. :) Anyway I've got what appears to be success. I loaded and compiled the alsa drivers and all seems to be fine. However I have a digital output on this card which I know for certain is supported, since it works flawlessly in Red Hat (well the fact that Red Hat dependency hell sucks is another issue but...) so I assume there must be a way to get it going under any other distro to? I just tried some headphones and analogue works fine. Unfortunately though I don't have an analogue sound system - and headphones are only of limited use.

I know I'm narrowing my options here for help, but what is the chance that someone out there might be running Red Hat 9.0 with alsa and with a digital out put to an external AC3 reciever? Or maybe somebody runs Gentoo with this configuration? What have I got to do to get digital sound to work?

Q
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with my setup, too. Mplayer played 44100Hz audio files way too fast. After a bit of search I found this page: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

So I played around with it and now it works without modifying mplayers config with -speed or -srate. I just added another line to /etc/modules.d/alsa:

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx dxs_support=1

Then I did modules-update again, rebooted and unmuted Master and PCM once more (had to, don't know why, but it worked).

Hope it helps you, too.

mic
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually it seems to depend on the motherboard which dxs option to chose. I got an ASRock K7VM2 and "options snd-via82xx dxs_support=4" works best for me. Just so you know.

mic
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: