Post 2007 bugs / problems here
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Post 2007 bugs / problems here Reply with quote

This thread is meant for posting problems and bugs for the 2007 release in order to help the devs polish the 2007.1 release. Make sure that before you post you have read the manual for the 2007 release: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2007.0/
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a bug, but it would be great if the handbook mentions how to link /usr/share/zoneinfo/Country/City to /etc/localtime symbolically in order to display the proper timezone when a user types uname -a.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
it would be great if the handbook mentions how to link /usr/share/zoneinfo/Country/City to /etc/localtime symbolically in order to display the proper timezone when a user types uname -a.

I have always done this manually, but I've heard that the correct way to do it now is to set your timezone in /etc/conf.d/clock .
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
pandaxiongmao wrote:
it would be great if the handbook mentions how to link /usr/share/zoneinfo/Country/City to /etc/localtime symbolically in order to display the proper timezone when a user types uname -a.

I have always done this manually, but I've heard that the correct way to do it now is to set your timezone in /etc/conf.d/clock .

I did that, but it turned out that you need to do extra steps which I mentioned above (maybe in addition of other minor details too), then recompile the kernel. Your mileage may vary though.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
Not exactly a bug, but it would be great if the handbook mentions how to link /usr/share/zoneinfo/Country/City to /etc/localtime symbolically in order to display the proper timezone when a user types uname -a.
You still need to copy your time zone data over to /etc/localtime as documented here in the handbook, right before you compile your kernel. Failing to do so will embed the warning you get from the date command into your kernel and it will appear when you run uname -a. Reminder: the time stamp that is displayed by uname -a is not dynamic, it is embedded at compile time.

Defining your time zone in /etc/conf.d/clock is only used by the sys-libs/timezone-data ebuild to replace /etc/localtime with a new copy when you emerge a new version of the ebuild.

Hth
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This thread is meant for posting problems and bugs for the 2007 release in order to help the devs polish the 2007.1 release.

Surely this is what https://bugs.gentoo.org/ is for?
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorpe wrote:
Quote:
This thread is meant for posting problems and bugs for the 2007 release in order to help the devs polish the 2007.1 release.

Surely this is what https://bugs.gentoo.org/ is for?

See my post here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-28820-highlight-.html
anton123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried to install the newest Gentoo live cd release but, to my surprise, this release is riddled with serious bugs. I did check the MD5 sum of the downloaded image and it matches with the original. My previous experiences have been with 2006.0 and 2006.1; 2006.1 has been the best experience I had with Gentoo. 2007.0 seems to be the worst release yet.

To start with, the live cd session always crashes when I do this.

1)open terminal
2)sudo -s
3)passwd root (give new password)
4)exit
5)exit

Suddenly, all becomes very slow, the icons in the upper panel have red X over them and the menu items disappear or no icons are visible. Then, I get warnings like "command ls not found", "command top not found", text replaced with garbage characters and so on. Basically, I have to reboot the PC to restart a new session.

At every boot time fromt he live cd, the X server no longer loads the "nv" driver for my nvidia geforce 6600 gt card unlike the 2006.1 version but the "vesa" driver.

These two problems I have experienced also but less often with the 2006.0 release of the live cd. Maybe I should wait for the 2007.1 release to fix these issues.

Another frustrating issue is with the new installer. Personally, I believe that it is a regression.
The partitioning step in 2006.1 was allowing you to do a visual partition and then ask you in the end if you wanted to commit the changes. Now, the changes are committed before any warnings. This is a serious drawback and not professional at all.
Sometimes, at the mount partition stage, the installer crashes and it says that the mounting of the partition could fail for any reason. Why was the "Mount point:" option removed from the format dialog during the partitioning step (unlike 2006.0 and 2006.1) really surprises me and makes me wonder what went through the heads of the people who wrote this new installer.
Sometimes, during the partition format the format dialog just doesn't close at all as soon as the partition creation step is done... clicking "ok" does not work but I have to click on "cancel" or the close button. After doing that, when I arrive at the mounting step, I click "Add", set the new drive partition to boot from, click "Update". After doing that I get the "the mounting of the partition could fail for any reason". I have to restart the installer and start from scratch.

Besides, the new GTK+ installer is horribly slow when it comes to accessing/formatting/creating partitions. At least if it were just that slow but do its job properly however, its bugs in the partitioning/partition mounting stages make it unacceptable and it seems, worse than the 2006.0 installer. Anyway, what happened to the old 2006.1 installer? It was fast and it worked without any problems for the features it was supposed to accomplish (true, the GUI was not too professional but needed only small retouches). Personally, I believe that the 2006.1 installer was solid and a good place to build/refine upon. Overall, the new installer sucks.

Also, the 2007.0 x86 live cd/dvd loads the "vesa" driver for my nvidia geforce 6600 gt card instead of the "nv" driver. The 2006.1 release did correctly load the "nv" driver.

Last of all, networking does not work post-install, period. In 2006.1 it did and besides this, I had none of the issues I have described here when I was performing a live cd installation.

After I managed to finally get 2007.0 release installed, GRUB did not identify my windows xp partition. Neither did the 2006.0 release but the 2006.1 did. I had to manually reedit the grub.conf file.

One last point, when I launch a terminal and issue "su -c gedit", gedit opens but as soon as I click on any of its toolbar icons, gedit freezes and is unuseable. This problem can be repeated over and over again.
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking about 2007.0 LiveDVD, does it have ALSA enabled in the kernel? Because I kept getting sound disabled everytime I boot the LiveDVD compared to Sabayon which loads all of them just fine. I assume the LiveDVD wasn't meant to be a full working Linux OS like Sabayon; it was only meant to be installation platform. Just my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: