View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdullah
n00b
n00b

Location: My Chair, My Computing room, My house, NSW, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: setting up xorg for G3 ibook (600MHz) [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hey all I'm a bit stuck,

My wife actually managed to get a PPC install disk (2007.0) to work on her ibook and installed Gentoo,

Now we have emerged xorg and KDE(-meta) and are trying to configure it so she has a Gui...

Well it kinda worked... but the screen is all messed up.

By messed up I mean you have it work in the top left corner for about 3 x 5cm and then you have blank screen, and under that is an exact copy of it all...

Is there any instructions anywhere on how to set up X on one of these dinosaurs? system specs are here hers is the middle option (M8599LL/C)...

I have looked around the forum and Google but did not find anything related to our problem...

Last edited by abdullah on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
abdullah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok using the screen shot program it shows a normal KDE desktop, so this has to be a monitor configuration issue not X configuration one like I originally thought...

[EDIT]

I fixed the issue using the xorg config from here... http://stan.openmod.org/doku.php/linux:gentoo_install_ibookg3

Just one IMPORTANT note on this... you need to change the keyboard language to suite your own, unless of course you ARE french ;)
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could install x11-misc/xac to create a new config. "emerge xac", run "xac" and copy the new xorg.conf to /etc/X11/.

Or you could try to fix your current config. A shot in the dark looking at the config:
a) diable "DMAForXv" (change Option "DMAForXv" "true" to Option "DMAForXv" "false")
b) add Option "UseFBDev" to the Device section
abdullah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm HUH?

That config fixed the issue... the issue was that the screen wasn't set up in the config...

I just had to change the keyboard over to 'us'... I live in Australia and as such have a "us" styled keyboard not a fr one...

However thank you for your imput, and should she have problems with the screen in the future I will implement them,

However she just does web browsing e-mail and office so i do not think there will be a problem unless some future update causes it Allah 'Alim...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: