Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
What would a roadmap for gentoo include? We cannot predict package versions.
Things you might want to have a closer look is the portage roadmap...

Rei
I don't mean a release roadmap, I am well aware about the fact that Gentoo is a completely different type of system than say, Ubuntu. However, what is possible is to set certain standards by a certain time. Gentoo has _no_ standards right now. None. The website is the same as the one back in Gentoo's early days...what does that tell you? Sabayon instead got whole facelift, not to mention Ubuntu that changes with every major release pretty much.
The Gentoo website is functional, I know. But the project will appear to be dead if devs keep leaving, "weekly" newsposts are no longer weekly but yearly and the website design remains that of the stoneage.

The Gentoo project right now is in a state of anarchy and it is not getting very far - distrowatch can prove it. What I mean by a roadmap is that ideas are taken and gathered. Then, as in any direct democracy, people vote for or against these ideas within a certain date. Subsequently, devs get to work on those ideas, not on random other projects they think would look cute in Gentoo. I know Gentoo devs are not payed, but at the same time they are entitled to develop for this project as opposed to other people such as steveb. If they are not doing it I'm sure that there are others more than willing to participate. It's just hard for them to make their way up there.

Ubuntu has a whole ideapool section on its website where people can contribute ideas. If developers see these as interesting or good ideas then they make them part of the project. The fewer people making decisions, the less bickering, the faster things get developed. I'm not a monarchist but I believe that if everyone is entitled to make decisions, then in the end, nobody really is.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
distrowatch can prove it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
G2k wrote:
distrowatch can prove it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
heh
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Yeah it's all nice and good to plan it, but it still has to happen. The installer is getting better, from what I hear, and Paludis is a C++ package manager in active development. If these things are important to you, get involved with them; the installer has a mailing list. They'll be ready when they're ready, and that'll be quicker if you do get involved by helping out. You don't need to be a dev to do that, but yeah irc helps. TBH the best bit about it is that users help each other and learn more by doing so, since devs will tell you if you're giving erroneous info (as will knowledgeable users like zlin in #gentoo-dev-help on irc.freenode.org.)
For me the GUI installer is not important. I never used it. I am doing my installs with the command line interface.

steveL wrote:
In the interests of healthy competition, I should also mention pkgcore which was originally portage 2 aiui until the main developer retired from gentoo. That's Python and C, and ideas from it seem to turn up in portage. Both projects have irc channels on freenode, but beware of the installer irc channel, especially near release times, as it's really only for devs. The mailing list is the way to get involved with that one. #gentoo-dev-help is your best bet imo.
Thanks about the info.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
However, what is possible is to set certain standards by a certain time. Gentoo has _no_ standards right now. None.
Which, depending upon exactly what you mean by that, could be mostly true and entirely by design, mostly false and entirely by design or entirely false and indicative of an uninformed opinion.
G2k wrote:
The website is the same as the one back in Gentoo's early days...what does that tell you?
That the design has been generally workable and acceptable to those who use and maintain it.
G2k wrote:
Sabayon instead got whole facelift, not to mention Ubuntu that changes with every major release pretty much.
The Gentoo website is functional, I know.
Do you actually want the site to be redesigned for no reason, forcing users to adjust to navigating a different layout, on a site which you agree is functional? There seems little point in that.
G2k wrote:
But the project will appear to be dead if devs keep leaving, "weekly" newsposts are no longer weekly but yearly and the website design remains that of the stoneage.
To address those concerns, though not necessarily the underlying issues, in order. The first is somewhat valid, though as developers retire new developers are joining and there are over three hundred developers presently working on the project. Also somewhat valid, especially as it presents the appearance of apathy in a rather immediate way. This seems to be a desire for change for the sake of change, there are multiple reasons for retaining a design which is at least highly similar to the current layout.
G2k wrote:
The Gentoo project right now is in a state of anarchy and it is not getting very far - distrowatch can prove it. What I mean by a roadmap is that ideas are taken and gathered. Then, as in any direct democracy, people vote for or against these ideas within a certain date. Subsequently, devs get to work on those ideas, not on random other projects they think would look cute in Gentoo. I know Gentoo devs are not payed, but at the same time they are entitled to develop for this project as opposed to other people such as steveb. If they are not doing it I'm sure that there are others more than willing to participate. It's just hard for them to make their way up there.
Gentoo developers are volunteers, so far as I know without exception, but altruism does have limits. Individual developers are generally free to work on any project which is of interest to them. Developers are allowed, though in some instances discouraged, to fix bugs in any packages, generally coordinating with the maintainer of the package they are fixing bugs in.

As for changes beyond fixing bugs, some issues can be decided and implemented by individual developers, other issues can be decided and implemented by individual herds (essentially organizational units of developers), others require broader attention. Developers can propose broader changes in various ways depending in part on where, how and by whom the changes are to be implemented. If a general consensus is not reached, or there is some other reason for it, the council can decide upon such issues.

The recruiting process has already been discussed in this topic, so I will not describe it and its effects on the project yet again.
G2k wrote:
Ubuntu has a whole ideapool section on its website where people can contribute ideas. If developers see these as interesting or good ideas then they make them part of the project.
Users and developers interact here, in bugzilla, on various mailing lists and via many IRC channels. Developers solicit, and users offer, suggestions and feature requests in all of the aforementioned media.

G2k wrote:
The fewer people making decisions, the less bickering, the faster things get developed. I'm not a monarchist but I believe that if everyone is entitled to make decisions, then in the end, nobody really is.
Such a model is not compatible with the current structure of the project, a fact which is unlikely to change soon.
g0rg0n
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

last GWN was issued on 7th of May, 2007

this made me think that the whole Gentoo project is falling apart a little. =/
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

g0rg0n wrote:
last GWN was issued on 7th of May, 2007

this made me think that the whole Gentoo project is falling apart a little. =/
Yup.

Also, desultory proved my point with his post. It's a practical demonstration of why nothing is getting accomplished around here as of late.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
Also, desultory proved my point with his post. It's a practical demonstration of why nothing is getting accomplished around here as of late.

Er what? He answered all your points quite effectively IMO. There may be parts of Gentoo which are resistant to change, but that's because they work effectively and no-one wants to mess it up. I am not saying there are no problems, but they are not to do with the state of the software, which gets better and better.

OK maybe the web site redesign thing was a flop. I still really like the forums tho, and Gentoo docs are referred to by people from all distros.

The critical point is the voluntary nature of the development. Let's say you became a dev and worked on the stuff you wanted to. Firstly, you are basically following upstream software so there is not much you can do in terms of changing it, beyond patching and getting involved with the upstream process, which is not Gentoo. Patches are only accepted where they enhance the software, benefitting users. Bug reports are filed by users, and the software improves for all users. What's the problem?

Are you saying in that instance you would want to start changing that software only for Gentoo users?! It makes no sense. If you mean that users should determine say the shape of the desktop etc, get involved with #gentoo-desktop who really are the nicest group of Gentoo devs I have met so far. #gentoo-dev-help will help you develop software (of which an ebuild is the tiniest part.) You have the easiest setup of any OS in terms of getting involved; since it is voluntary, and there is so much work, devs look for other volunteers who will help out without being a PITA. After all, how do you think they got involved? #gentoo-chat is a good place too btw.

If you really want to change things, start developing software, for which Gentoo is hands-down the best platform. You have a community of users who will try stuff out and are really supportive of each other. You don't need to be a Gentoo dev to code, y'know, and if it's useful on Gentoo (beyond stuff specific to a Gentoo config like portage-utils) it'll be useful on other systems. The good thing is, because Gentoo is so generic, it'll likely be useful in a wide variety of circumstances, fitting with the Unix philosophy of providing mechanism and leaving it to the admin to choose policy.

I guess what I am saying is that when you get involved with Gentoo you're basically getting involved with the whole Free community, since Gentoo tries to basically follow upstream as closely as possible. Apart from gentoo specific projects like portage, all Gentoo devs are basically working on upstream stuff; the ebuild is only the configure..make..install part of that.

If you're thinking oh but I can't code, log on to #friendly-coders for help and advice (we won't do the work for you, mind ;) or get involved with artwork or documentation till you know more. #gentoo-chat is the place to ask who else is working on stuff IMO.[/i]
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I really don't want this project to die :-( Other distros just aren't making it for me
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
Yeah ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I really don't want this project to die :-( Other distros just aren't making it for me
Gentoo is not dying.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
G2k wrote:

Gentoo is not dying.

Devs are abandoning ship in droves (if the posts around here are to be believed), yet as you point out, it's near impossible to become a dev to replace those leaving. Now I have no interest in being one personally, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't be willing to suck up to some asshat on IRC so he can sponsor me to take a quiz, so that I can volunteer on a hobby project. That's needless bureaucracy and ego stroking. It should be submit decent patches --> get noticed --> submit more decent patches --> get given dev access. All IMHO of course :)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papal_authority wrote:
steveb wrote:
G2k wrote:

Gentoo is not dying.

Devs are abandoning ship in droves (if the posts around here are to be believed)

Which is completely exaggerated, people just like to make a lot of fuzz about it when a popular dev (like Bryan, Diego or Jakub) leaves. Yet they barely notice when most people come back a few weeks later ;)

Quote:
It should be submit decent patches --> get noticed --> submit more decent patches --> get given dev access. All IMHO of course :)

Ideally yes. The problems as I see them are as follows:
- contribution of ebuilds for new packages aren't as rewarding as most people would expect. That's because a) most devs rarely check for them unless they are personally interested in a package and b) because devs have (for historic/philosophical reasons) commit access to the whole tree we expect people to do more than only maintain one or two packages before giving them access. The combination of this is probably something that frustrates quite a number of contributors. Maybe we should revisit b) ?
- people are somewhat intimidated by the extensive documentation, I guess because it's supposed to serve both as a reference and as an entry point for potential developers. Maybe we need a more specialized doc for the second?
- people are afraid of the quiz because they think of it as some kind of school test that they have to learn for and pass to get a degree, while it's more of a check for yourself to find out what you know or don't know. For us it's mainly a way to see how you'd solve typical problems and to let you know when you took the wrong approach (a wrong answer isn't bad as long as you understand why it was wrong).
- Because some mentors have done poor job in the past causing problems by people they had recruited maybe we put a bit too much emphasis on testing new people instead of trusting their mentors, resulting in more red tape than necessary

Mind that those are just my personal opinions and observations, and I'm not actually involved int the recruitment process nor did I recruit/mentor anyone for quite a while as I'm mainly working on portage these days and not so much on ebuilds, so don't interpret too much into this.

PS: If someone really feels like he has contributed a lot and simply was overlooked because the contributions were too spread for a single person to notice (or some other reason) you might contact recruiters@g.o or userrel@g.o with a request (not a demand) for assistance/guidance and see if they can eventually help you to find a mentor.
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a user perspective it seems like needless bureaucracy is whats holding Gentoo back right now ( lol mailing list post on banning humor ).

oh and http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2007/06/distributed-distributions/ is interesting

idea:
a) fork gentoo
b) the developers only maintain the 'core' ebuild tree - just what's needed to run the package manager
c) allow anyone to contribute to the 'community' tree
d) when a package is marked stable in the community tree it is moved to the 'contributed' tree

preferences:
a) call it gen2
b) use paludis
c) give access with a simple forum profile option (and ensure email address is public)
have the information on 'how to contribute' on the main site right after downloads and in the handbook
d) add a hook to paludis that tracks the number of successful installs vs. the number of failures, upload stats to main site, and after a high threshold is passed (90% + at least 90 successes?) auto-stable it. Failures don't count if certain cflags/ldflags are used, but successes do count even with those same cflags/ldflags.

candy:
allow people to set their own 'stable' thresholds
auto-create binpkgs for the most common compiler settings

options:
if you log onto packages.gen2.org (same account as forums.gen2.org) you can vote up/down a package and explain why. may be better than just a machine made hook. may be worse.

If I wasn't
a) poor
b) retarded
c) busy
I would have already set all this up. At least I have an IRC channel (#gen2). Feel free to bash my head in there for dumb ideas.

btw, if anyone can hack up a script to register the domain i will pay for it (even though i am a poor college student). do not email them expressing interest otherwise they will definately re-register (we have a slim chance they wont or maybe a bot will be slow....).
Domain Name:GEN2.ORG
Created On:01-Aug-2006 04:35:13 UTC
Last Updated On:31-Mar-2007 03:53:46 UTC
Expiration Date:01-Aug-2007 04:35:13 UTC
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
Carlo wrote:
You don't have to use irc at all. As a dev you have to follow gentoo-core and gentoo-dev mailing lists.
And how do you get a mentor? On the mailing list?

As soon as you actually do work, by tracking down bugs, attaching patches to bug reports etc., devs will notice you. And when it becomes a burden to be proxy for your work, some dev will approach you about joining. You can ask devs directly, too, but they'll probably ask you to show your skills, by tracking down a decent number of bugs, first.

steveb wrote:
I expect this part (the users) to be the most bitchy part. Not the other way around (developers more bitchy (in quantity and/or quality) then users).

You would expect this, but I'd say it's even. Maybe a matter of perception as well, depending which media you follow more closely.

steveb wrote:
Okay. I can not judge that. But your statement leaves me under the impression that you don't know if it is like that since you say "I'm pretty sure, ... because ... not enough developers"

I'm aware of quite a number of more or less annoying issues, but Gentoo is so diverse with all the different packages, I can hardly say that I've more than a reasonable overview and an insight into a fraction of it.

steveb wrote:
Do we have some plan where we want to go with Gentoo? Do the developers have a overview?

I hope everyone has an overview for what he cares for. A plan. Are you kidding!? This is FOSS, moreso Gentoo... A stronger commercial interest, with people being paid to do some of the boring stuff would surely help.

steveb wrote:
The question you have to ask yourself is: Where do I want to go with my company (in our situation is more a question where we want to go with Gentoo).

I think most people who did not leave are too tired of the flamewars on gentoo-dev, so let me put it this way: Gentoo is humming along, resounding differently each day and from each point of view.

steveb wrote:
If you make the entrance level so hard as possible then a lot of potential developers will not try to enter

Once again: It's not hard. Its about what you think you can improve and very few restrictions/shortcommings aside, you can. The subprojects of Gentoo are quite independent. All you need to know is some minimum about the inner workings of Gentoo, so you are not the cause of a mess, when interaction/-operability is required. That's why the quiz exists. And no, it's not a beast.

steveb wrote:
We just throw work (bug fixing, documentation, answering stuff at bugs.gentoo.org, etc) at them and look how they manage it.

You don't need to be a Gentoo dev to do this at all. Start right now, you're welcome.

steveb wrote:
When I checked the quiz then I was overrun with it. It was in English (which is not my native language)

It isn't mine either. I wonder how you can write these lines here in english, but claim to have problems with it because of the language. You're not trying to take everyone on a ride - and that so blatantly open - do you!?

steveb wrote:
combined with the not so pleasant experience I had with Ebuild submission

Too unspecific. When you mean a new package addition: Lowest priority.

steveb wrote:
Allow me to ask you: How and why did you become a Gentoo developer? What was your motivation? [...

I bugged people with dozens of security bugs, bug fixes, package additions and more bug fixes. One week I had about three or four emails from different developers in my inbox, if I wanted to join, even though I didn't really want to, back then. So I got a mentor, took the quiz etc..
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there are updates at a sync in a week, gentoo is going along.

Ubuntu is a bad example. We do not have a sponsor that fires millions of Dollars into the Project. :twisted:
Look at debian. They were slow too. Had no releasetimes for general updates etc.etc. And they were always one leading community in their own way in Linuxsociety.

So what the devs manages is outstanding from my point of view.

And we had and have all the outstanding things that other distros have.

We have a lot Ideas threads. Discussion of whats going on. And Idea lists.
We do have a great and competent Wikki.
We do have a additional Document view.
We do have community represants that collect Ideas clearing developerviews were developers cant come and explain things.
We were fine with on package system for a long long time. while other Distros are offering 3 to 4 package manglers. which tells us that portage is a great tool that worked for all for a long long time. Which is to me an outstanding performance.
And of course we do have the best mascot ever!

In hole I think as far as I see a working community. Which tries things out. (the Webside change was great thing to try. I enjoyed the choice. But I was happy when nothing happend :P ) I think most people complained that the old theme was not to be at choice.

We (someone) had an Idea to improve forum search. I lost somehow contact to that little project so I think it failed too. But hey. It is not important if things go great. It is important we do have people that try and care to make this place a living place.

I think Gentoo is doing fine. :P
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
We do have a great and competent Wikki.

Alas, I think you'll find that's not the case...
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=Syntaxis]Alas, I think you'll find that's not the case...[/quote]

The wikki is as competent as the forums are. I do not see them as a second (in)offical documentation. Thats rubbish. There you are right.
But the Wikki is a great addition to the forums (and the documentation). You can pull vital Information from the Forums into the Wikki and generate fast living Documentation or very focused Documentation. I.e. focused Docs on are special Laptop series. Or on inoffical Software. (World of Warcraft howto on the wikki had some fame throughout Linux world. :wink: ) I dont think those are worth an offical Documentation because the offical working power would be soaked away from important documentation.

And differenent to ubuntu we have a clear seperation on maintained offical Documentation and fast written extract of knowledge. Which gives us transparancy over quality. And who knows? maybe one started documentating stuff within the wikki could be recruited to the documentation project. ;)

You see from my point of view the aim of the wikki is totally different as the Documentation Project and that makes it the perfect addition to the tools the comunity can use to make the gentoo Distro to what it is. One of the best (if not the best) Linux distros that I know!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micr0c0sm wrote:
From a user perspective it seems like needless bureaucracy is whats holding Gentoo back right now ( lol mailing list post on banning humor ).

It wasn't "banning humor" - reread the post.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
And differenent to ubuntu we have a clear seperation on maintained offical Documentation and fast written extract of knowledge. Which gives us transparancy over quality.

The crucial issue isn't whether the wiki's official or not, but whether the distro developers endorse and make use of it.

If they do, it brings several fairly significant advantages, each of which reinforces the other:
    1) Official documentation can be maintained there (see e.g. the Debian-Installer wiki page on the official Debian wiki, prominently linked to from the Debian-Installer homepage) allowing any community member to easily make contributions without having to go through whatever bureaucratic process the official documentation team insists on, e.g. the Gentoo Linux Documentation Policy.
    2) The increased dev presence means increased oversight of even the non-official wiki pages (while they're there, they're likely to browse around).
    3) As a consequence of official distro endorsement, people'll be inclined to actually fix or report problems and publicly point people to the wiki, as opposed to having to do so in secret lest they be flamed/scolded/mocked by devs (as is currently the case with Gentoo-Wiki.com).
I don't really see why it's preferable to have a ghetto-ised wiki that the developers revile and piss on from afar.

[Note: I'm not saying the Gentoo developers are to blame for the current situation, nor that they're obligated to do anything about it. I'm just pointing out that (IMHO) if, as a Gentoo user, one were magically granted the ability to pick and choose, it'd be absolute folly not to want a wiki of the sort other distributions such as Debian and Ubuntu enjoy.]
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis,

The wiki can be changed by anyone of any level of competance, from the well meaning but mistaken to the malicious.
Users are often referred tothe gentoo wiki but with a sensible health warning about if/when it breaks, they can keep the pieces. The wiki is uncontrolled.

Other distros can make their own risk assessments as to how "official" their wikis are to suit themselves.

Keep in mind that binary distros deprive their users of many of the choices that gentoo insists users make, so binary distros can afford a lower standard of documentation and to take more risks with it.

Oh, I have seen the damage that malicious advice does twice while I have been a gentoo user. Specifically two instances of (as root)
Code:
rm -rf /
Dont Do That at Home

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that nasty command sanely guarded against now? Not that I'm suggesting anyone try it on a system they want to keep :)

Edit: Oops, looks like it still needs:
Code:
alias rm='rm --preserve-root'

Last edited by PaulBredbury on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
legine wrote:
And differenent to ubuntu we have a clear seperation on maintained offical Documentation and fast written extract of knowledge. Which gives us transparancy over quality.

The crucial issue isn't whether the wiki's official or not, but whether the distro developers endorse and make use of it.

If they do, it brings several fairly significant advantages, each of which reinforces the other:
    1) Official documentation can be maintained there (see e.g. the Debian-Installer wiki page on the official Debian wiki, prominently linked to from the Debian-Installer homepage) allowing any community member to easily make contributions without having to go through whatever bureaucratic process the official documentation team insists on, e.g. the Gentoo Linux Documentation Policy.
    2) The increased dev presence means increased oversight of even the non-official wiki pages (while they're there, they're likely to browse around).
    3) As a consequence of official distro endorsement, people'll be inclined to actually fix or report problems and publicly point people to the wiki, as opposed to having to do so in secret lest they be flamed/scolded/mocked by devs (as is currently the case with Gentoo-Wiki.com).
I don't really see why it's preferable to have a ghetto-ised wiki that the developers revile and piss on from afar.

[Note: I'm not saying the Gentoo developers are to blame for the current situation, nor that they're obligated to do anything about it. I'm just pointing out that (IMHO) if, as a Gentoo user, one were magically granted the ability to pick and choose, it'd be absolute folly not to want a wiki of the sort other distributions such as Debian and Ubuntu enjoy.]

I don't believe developer presence will help in any way on the wiki (other than as extra hands helping to keep it clean). The wiki would still be considered totally unofficial and would take probably years of work to clean up all the articles currently on there to an even barely acceptable level.

I believe the wiki's biggest problem is total lack of administrative oversight. This doesn't at all need to be from developers, but there needs to be a level of acceptability for documentation, and anything below that level cannot be linked from the main indexes and is moved to a seperate namespace so that it does no appear in the default search results.

There are far too many documents knocked up by complete amatuers at the relevent tasks. For example, I would bet that the most popular type of article on the wiki is a "this is how I set up my exact system including half the instructions from a stage 3 (handbook) install". These articles are completely pointless as they try to cover far too much ground. Similarly there are "this is how I setup my combination of <service 1>, <service 2>, <service 3>" (mail servers are popular for this).

Documentation on the wiki in general is often far too specific in its configuration, with little to no mention of even a few of the options available.

I wish to put down the earlier comment regarding wiki editors having to edit the wiki in secret. I have never seen this happen.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
I wish to put down the earlier comment regarding wiki editors having to edit the wiki in secret. I have never seen this happen.
Well, then it wouldn't be a secret would it :)

Sorry - I couldn't resist that one.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Users are often referred tothe gentoo wiki but with a sensible health warning about if/when it breaks, they can keep the pieces.

This seems somewhat at odds with the fairly recent comment I linked to:

dostrow@gentoo.org wrote:
Gentoo-wiki does not now nor will it ever get linked to from official Gentoo media, documentation, or anything else within the www.gentoo.org namespace...

If that dev was talking out of his arse, fair enough, but could you possibly provide something showing that that's the case if so?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Keep in mind that binary distros deprive their users of many of the choices that gentoo insists users make, so binary distros can afford a lower standard of documentation and to take more risks with it.

I personally don't believe this is true, but even assuming it were, it's not much good if the standard for documentation is set so high that very few people bother trying to meet it. Even the GLDP itself admits many contributors are put off. There's quite a lot (an awful lot, actually) that the official documentation doesn't cover that is covered on the wiki, which is, well, one of the reasons the wiki is so popular. "Official documentation on this topic doesn't exist, but if it did, you can bet it'd be better than that of the binary distributions!" seems somewhat hollow to me.

AllenJB wrote:
There are far too many documents knocked up by complete amatuers at the relevent tasks.

Again, this assumes either the existence of a better page written by someone more knowledgeable (and that people can find), or that no documentation is preferable to suboptimal documentation...

AllenJB wrote:
For example, I would bet that the most popular type of article on the wiki is a "this is how I set up my exact system including half the instructions from a stage 3 (handbook) install". These articles are completely pointless

Personally, I would say that the level of interest in a wiki page is often a good measure of its utility, but perhaps that's just me. I'm not quite so willing to immediately dismiss all those who visit the wiki as fools.

AllenJB wrote:
I wish to put down the earlier comment regarding wiki editors having to edit the wiki in secret.

Hehe - that wasn't what I was saying. Let me have a shot at restating it: the "secrecy" part referred to the fact that whenever someone points someone to the wiki, there's a reasonable chance that a dev will come out and state that it's not a good idea. The reference to editors was to point out that it's not likely that people will be motivated to fix things if the official attitude is that there's not much point because the page'll most likely only get crapflooded again anyway. Again, apologies for being unclear. That's assuming I managed to be any clearer this time around, of course... :-) I'll let you be the judge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: