Idea for fixing sound issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Idea for fixing sound issue Reply with quote

I am not sure if this has been done nor how safe it is but I wanted to know if anyone has used WINE to install a BIOS update?

I am currently trying to get the sound on my laptop to work, Satellite P100 <some model number that doesn't have a prefixed DSDT>. I have a Windows version available to me but I just got my gentoo system up and running so far this is the best installation I've had - I don't want to install Windows over it (who would? gentoo rocks).

Well as I said, I have a bios_update.exe and I want to just update my BIOS through linux using WINE instead of going through Windows. I really don't trust myself editing my buggy DSDT. I've heard you can really kill your computer if it is done wrong.

Does my plan sound safe? crazy? ill-advised? Any words of advice? I am just looking for feedback.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the executable work under DOS? If so, use mtools and freedos to run it.
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I find out if it did work under DOS?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run:
Code:
file yourfilename.exe

If it says e.g. "MS-DOS executable PE for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit" then it will work in DOS.
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I will test this out when I get home (I am at work).

I will post back with the results as it might just help someone else fix there sound! ...or related issue (buggy DSDT's :( )
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it would have worked (I think) but the freedos image is far too small for me to use. I need at least 6MB while the image is 1-2MB. I am going to try and creating a Bootable CD that I can run things from.

Wish me luck! (first time doing this)
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went to my desktop (has windows) and burned a bootable dos cd with my bios_update.exe in it. I have loaded and tried to run it.... the message "this file cannot run in DOS mode".

*beats head against a desk*

Ok...thanks Toshiba for making the file a) 5MB much to big for a floppy b) making it not able to run in DOS/bootable CD

>.<

Can anyone help?
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just though of vmware but it wouldn't do probably... Is it possible to install windows on a USB-Stick (1GB should be enough)? The you could boot from the stick. Otherwise try some external drive. One other idea is to install windows to your swap partition if it's big enough. Just make sure you've got some bootable rescue cd (like gentoo minimal cd) to change partioton type afterwards and fix the MBR.
All of this of course considering you don't have some space free on your hard drive for a small rescue windows installation. And of course you need Windows installation CD, not this fu**ing repair CD's (I also have toshiba and feel a bit fucked up with what I got as my Windows I paid for). But for one-use repair installation you can even borrow firend's Win, just unplug the net so that it doesn't want to register.

Edit: If its a fresh installation you could even use some other partition, like /home (if of course it's not all one big mess at yours). You can also change partiotions size with qtparted (download Knoppix for it, works best) to make some place free for a small windows.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that in some ways it would be better to have a proper Windows CD (Recovery Console springs to mind), but I don't think the "Recovery CD" approach is so unreasonable. At least you have a perfectly working Windows afterwards, and (I'm guessing) it probably is a good bit quicker than a proper CD install. Also, I don't know yours has this, but my Recovery CD (for Sat A30) includes the option to install into a specific partition, ideal for dual-boot setup -- and best of all, because it *isn't* a proper CD install, your MBR doesn't get overwritten!. If you haven't checked for this option, do; you might save yourself some work.

@cyko_1: for the love of Dog, don't try to do this upgrade in a hackish manner. If you're nervous about hacking your DSDT by hand (and rightly so!), you should be just as nervous about using unsupported methods to perform a BIOS flash. If you still have warranty/cover on this machine, you sure as hell won't after trying something like this. Toshiba and/or your vendor/insurer will wash their hands of you and your bricked machine just like that.

Make room on your hard disk, install the Windows you have, and do the update like they instruct you to. If you don't have the install-to-partition option with your CDs, either take an image of your HD and put it back afterwards, or if you can't do that, quickpkg and backup all your non-bootstrapped packages so you can save a lot of time on reinstalling. I'm sorry if this sounds patronising, but you really want to think hard about what you have to gain -- and lose -- here.
cyko_1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really trying to do things in a hackish manner, I just want to do them in a simple and easy method.

I have actually fixed my buggy DSDT and complied it into my kernel, but still no sound.

I will install windows...as much as I hate to use it. If I didn't have to do BIOS updates and play games...I wouldn't have Windows anywhere.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: