View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvanor
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Firefox cannot quit (exit) normally Reply with quote

Hello,

Whenever I quit Firefox, it cannot actually quit. The GUI windows disappear but a ps -ax shows the process still running. If I try to launch it again it will never load, because the previous version is still there.

Any ideas for a fix? I am using amd64 stable and firefox-bin. I have Java and Flash plugins.

I also like the 2.0 feature of being able to reload previous tabs when Firefox crashed very useful - is there a way to have that feature (session restore) available even if Firefox quits normally (it almost never happens on my computer because of the previous problem, but sometime FF still manages to close cleanly...)

Thanks!

Elvanor
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the unable to quit thing, but the SessionSaver extension will allow you to save sessions automatically when you quit (or manually at any time). Also, if you use TabMixPlus, SessionSaver has been integrated with it.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killall or killall -9
elvanor
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the SessionSaver extension info...

widremann, the whole point of this thread was NOT to use kill -9... :) but to fix FF so that it could quit normally...

Elvanor
MCUnable
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
I'm seeing this same behavior on 2 different Intel-based systems. I've compiled Firefox rather than using the binaries on both of those systems. Any thoughts are welcome!
bubbl07
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the not-quitting problem, but (as of version 2) you can have Firefox show your tabs from the previous session without any extensions.

Edit -> Preferences -> Main tab
In the "Startup" section, there's an option that'll let you change the behavior ("When Firefox starts:").
elvanor
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did not know that!!

Elvanor
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same issue on both of my desktops, but only sometimes. I generally go with the killall -9 firefox-bin option, but it would be nice to find and eliminate the problem. It seems to me that it generally only happens when I've got gmail open and it's actively doing something when I quit. I'll have to play around a bit more and see what causes it or doesn't cause it. Have you noticed any similar trends, or does it always not completely quit?
MCUnable
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to correlate the behavior to any of my browsing habits, but the gmail connection might make sense. I typically leave it open in a tab all the time. Let the experimenting begin!
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are some ff extensions that let it remain as daemon while not running so that it pops up quickly as you load it once again. It's done intentionally, for you not to have to wait till ff (a big executable after all) will be loaded into memory. I believe it may be now it's default behavior. I read about it about two years ago and it was a hack back then, but since then I didn't see the issue any more so I believe it became a default of some kind.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: