waimea vs fluxbox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maceto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: waimea vs fluxbox Reply with quote

Might have been posted something about this before, but here I don`t want any Gnome Kde stuff- just hardcore windowsmanagers.

Think there are no questions about what to run on a mini distro with custom kernel that a small windowmanger..

NO KDE og Gnome- so I know there are many out there..

waimea and fluxbox seem to have the most features of the small windowmangers.. : http://www.windowmaker.org/features-performance.html- bout come from blackbox- but I need to know wich has the best features! and can be easy to work with.
Have installed fluxbox one time- seems like a nice desktop to work on- haven`t tried waimea yet..

Please post other windowmanagers( hope admin kick the KDE Gnome posts..)

maceto
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox Reply with quote

Fluxbox is my choice, I really like it. It's easy to modify and it's fast to load. You can get it to look really great if you tak some time and try diffrent themes. There are quite a few of them in "Other things Gentoo, Screenshots). So check them out.
And also I like the menu system of flux. It's very handy to use. Try it for a while and you'll see.
FLUG member 473
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say that being an ex-blackbox user, i found fluxbox easier to tame then waimea ...well truth be said: i haven't tamed waimea ...it just didn't work out :]

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, fluxbox has the advantage of a more active development. Waimea's development seems to have slowed down to a crawl. There has been no new release (or any news of any) since november last year.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for app developers to write full blown Fluxbox native apps instead of just running KDE/Gnome apps inside Fluxbox? That's what I'd like to do and I have seen the class docs but haven't found more info regarding actual programming like what libs to link to and such.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a pure eye-candy point of view, waimea is great. I havent used it in a while because I sort of settled on fluxbox and just got a bit lazy. The one thing that I didnt like about waimea was that I could not figue out how to stop warping to a new screen, but that part is over as I figured it out.

I know many people like waimea because of the transparency stuff. What I like about it is that I can use pixmap buttons on the title bar (see waimea.org for screenshots)

Also, you can use fluxbox and blackbox styles. waimea and fluxbox are similar in setup

The developer of waimea is working on the project but has not updated the site in a long while. I wrote to him recently and he did write back. I had asked him about implementing mini icons in the menus and he told me that it was planned for the next release....not sure when that will be.

You can also use dynamic menus so that menus are generated on the fly. After looking at the man page for waimea, I noticed that it has a lot of functionality of fvwm (which is my next window manager to tame)

Waimea is highly configurable.
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best features" can be argued about.. I think everyone should judge for them selves.. not from other's experiences :)
ggelln
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like flux, but why might want to try
pekwm http://www.pekwm.org/
it is a sweet light windowmanger, is a little more themeable then flux (ie pixmaps) which can be good or bad depending on your purity rating ;-)

what is really great about pekwm is that you can program it so that given apps open in given workspaces (the remeber patch doesn't even come close to this in fluxbox) which I find a great boon.

You can even spend some time to make the settings so that if a term opens in the first workspace it will have given characterstics, but in others it will not.

I find it a killer feature.

(ps make sure you use a current build ie 1.3 series, no one really uses the older 'stable' version).

my 2 cents.

Gabriel
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: waimea vs fluxbox Reply with quote

maceto wrote:
Might have been posted something about this before
Didn't take much effort to find it either: fluxbox versus waimea.

Quote:
Please post other windowmanagers
There are similar threads for many window managers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: