Bad Superblock? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Bad Superblock? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I recently installed Gentoo Linux with Gnome as my WM. I am trying to get my audio CDs to play, so that I can listen to them on my computer. I have tried to use a number of different audio players, and I have tried to rip the CDs directly to my hard drive, but every time I try to listen to or rip an audio CD I get the same error message:

Code:

NCLaptop andrew # mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/hdb: can't read superblock

I realize that I shouldn't need to mount an audio CD, but I figured that trying to would give me some clues. I also noticed that when I enter my CD player or other audio application, it appears that my CD-ROM drive is not being recognized. Any ideas?[/code]

Last edited by NobodyCares on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you simply can't mount an audio CD. As to the other issue, could you be more specific? That is, what, if anything, do audio applications report about the drive? Also, can you mount non-audio CDROMs?
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to mount a data CD, just a random game disk I had, and it mounted fine. Other than a message saying it was write protected and mounted as read only (which makes sense) everything seemed to be working. When I try to get an audio CD to play, I put it into the drive and run audacious, but when I try to add my CD I get a message saying that there is no CD in the drive or that the CD is a data CD (which it is not). When I run the generic Gnome CD player, I get a message that says drive error, I tried to go into preferences to make sure the correct drive was selected, but there are no options for me to select. I have a compaq laptop, with a DVD burner, and I have a hunch that some sort of driver error or missing codec may be the problem, but I don't even know how to begin resolving the issue.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your username in the cdrom and cdrw groups?
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, when didymos stated "Well, you simply can't mount an audio CD", what didymos means is that audio CD's are not mounted, there is no data on them, so you don't mount them like you do a data CD. I wasn't sure if that was clear, so if it was ignore it.

As for audacious, you will need to adjust the preferences. In the standard audacious skin, click the "button" in the upper left to get the general menu and click on preferences.

Click on plugins on the left side.
Click on CD Audio plugin on the right side (list of plugins)
Click the Preferences button near the bottom.

A window pops up with a box to put the path to the device which you use to play cd's
It probably has something like /dev/cdrom in there right now. If /dev/cdrom isn't a link to /dev/hdb, that is your problem.
I would guess you would replace it with /dev/hdb

It has a check drive... button that will look for data or audio cd. With the audio cd in, it should find it, and obviously not data, so don't worry that it doesn't find data.

It lets you add a second drive as an option but I haven't gotten it so that it will look in drive 2 for a cd.
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to change the selected CD-drive to /dev/hdb rather than /dev/cdrom. When I tried to check the drive, I get an error saying that access was denied but /mnt/cdrom was OK. On a hunch I logged into my root user, and tried the same process. As root, I used audacious and CD-player to play a CD successfully. Now I am just working on trying to give user permission to use the drive. How do I check to make sure my user is in a certain group, and add it to a group if need be?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group membership can be checked in /etc/group or with the groups command. To add a user to a group either manually edit /etc/group (not encouraged but for something simple it's OK) or use the gpasswd program. As root:
Code:

gpasswd -a username groupname

NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added my regular user to the CD-ROM and CD-RW groups, and I can now play my audio CDs using CD-player. However, when I tried to use CD juicer to rip my CD, I got a message saying that no drives were detected.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have another ripper you can try? If it works, then the problem is juicer. Maybe. Can you rip if you run it as root?
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any other rippers currently installed. I tried logging onto root, and got the same error message saying, "No CD Drives were found".
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the drive works for most tasks, so I'm inclined to think it's something with juicer. But without trying another ripper, it's not certain. You have cdparanoia installed, given that juicer has a dependency on
media-plugins/gst-plugins-cdparanoia, so try this as root and as a user (with an audio CD inserted, of course):
Code:

cdparanoia -vsQ

If that successfully detects the drive and the tracks on the disc, it's probably juicer. I'm not up on all the gnome CD software, but I'm sure there's another ripper you could install. Of course, if cdparanoia fails, then we'll have a better idea of the actual problem.
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried CDParanoia and it worked just fine. It properly detected the drive and all the tracks on the audio CD I had. Should I just emerge a new CD-ripping program?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'd do. I checked a bit. Grip is for gnome, even though the description in portage doesn't say so. I also checked out the gnome bug list for juicer. Seems like there's a lot of people running into drive detection problems, with multiple versions of juicer. It might not be juicer's fault, depending as it does on gnome-vfs, which might depend on hal (if the USE flag is set). Could be a bug in any of those, or, to be fair, any of the other packages they depend on.
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded grip and everything is working fine now! Thanks so much for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: