Strange K3B behavour
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Strange K3B behavour Reply with quote

I have recorded a DVD and I have noticed a rather weird thing in K3B. It detects my max DVD write speed correctly (8x), but it starts recording at 2x, with the DVD writer itself sounding very low, like it is spinning slowly. Then, after 15% or so is completed, it switches to 4x, a while later, to 6x, (no problems writing at those speeds whatsoever) and, only after 85% has been completed, it jumps to the 8X speed! 8x is not very constant due to running out of buffer from time to time, but it still works fine.

Why the hell does that? I have searched the configuration options and I can't find any reason it should do such a stupid thing. I mean, why not start at 6x, if it works perfectly. That "warm-up" writing :roll: wastes a ton of time, it takes 13 min to write a full DVD, while it could be done in 7~8.

Also, the device buffer is not shown, but I think that only works with K3B-1.0 or greater.
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...
Spectere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If K3B's speed display works the way I think it does (i.e. reporting the actual write speed at a given time), it's a hardware limitation as opposed to a software one.

You see, when playing audio CDs (or using an old drive), the disc will physically spin faster when it gets closer to the center of the disc to ensure that it continues to read data at the same rate. This is called constant linear velocity, or CLV.

I believe CD-ROM drive manufacturers started switching to constant angular velocity (CAV) around the 8x mark. When using CAV, the motor will spin at a constant rate as the disc is read or written to, allowing for higher theoretical read/write speeds. The tradeoff with using that method is that while your drive may read the outer edge of the disc at, say, 48x, it might only be able to read data from the inner ring at 24x. This disadvantage doesn't seem to be advertised at all anymore (I seem to remember drives being advertised as "20-32x" years ago, but I haven't seen anything like that now), unfortunately, which does make things confusing and misleading. The fact that very few burning packages show the actual write speed in real-time helps to mask that fact as well.

Anyhoo, long story short, because CDs and DVDs are written from the inner ring to the outer edge, you will see a much-reduced write speed at the beginning of the write. There's nothing you can do about that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: