issues booting into new system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben_Taylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: issues booting into new system Reply with quote

Hello,
I just installed a new system following this guide
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml#reboot

I had root (/mnt/gentoo) on /dev/hda4, boot (/mnt/gentoo/boot) on /dev/hda1, swap on /dev/hda2, and /mnt/gentoo/usr on /dev/hda3. (I put usr on a separate partition as previously I've had issues ('segmentation fault') when unpacking portage which having usr on a different partition seemed to fix, although it might have been because I was unpacking stage3 at the same time.)

Anyway. I did it from stage3 by downloading and unpacking the stage3 archive, I don't want to do it from stage 1 or 2.

When I got to the point in the guide where I've done 'make menuconfig' and verified that all the options are ok, I then did as it says which is to do 'make -j2'. It took hours and hours, and eventually I noticed it wasn't doing anything as it had been doing one line (can't remember exactly what but it was along the lines of "LD ... something something.... video.o" so I Ctrl-C'ed it. I then just did 'make' and it finished in under a minute, apparently successfully.

I then installed reiserfsprogs, grub without issues, unmounted and rebooted, and when it rebooted it came up with the grub loader successfully where you choose the operating system to boot ('Gentoo'), but after that it just rebooted again. and again, and it would have gone on in a continual cycle of getting to the grub screen and rebooting if I hadn't stopped it.

What have I done wrong? What does the "-j2" option do on the make of the kernel? Will the fact that I tried to do "make -j2" and then stopped it and then just did "make" have affected it? Is my kernel buggered?

Also is it possible to rescue it without having to go through the whole process of downloading and unpacking and whatnot all over again?

Thanks for any help!
kevstar31
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post your grub.conf
Ben_Taylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I booted into the live cd, and now everything in /boot has vanished, as has everything in /usr, therefore the compiled kernel has been wiped out. I'm beginning to suspect a dodgy disk... either that or the files were deleted by the restarting process...but everything else seems ok, it mounts fine.
I definitely did create a grub.conf with
Code:

default 0
timeout 10

title=Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/hda4
Ben_Taylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know what the -j2 option to the kernel's make does and why that guide is telling me to use it?

does that tell it to build from stage 2 instead of 3?
Syque
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -j2 option is telling the computer to compile 2 processes simultaneously. The rule of thumb from the Gentoo guidebook is to compile (n+1) processes simultaneously, where n is the number of CPUs you have. The 2 has nothing to do with stages.

About the disappearing /usr and /boot files, did you remember to mount those two partitions after you rebooted using the boot disk? If not, you wouldn't see the files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: