unnecessary disk-access
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: unnecessary disk-access Reply with quote

i am using Gentoo 2007.0 and notice that when i am working or doing something then suddenly red-led of my cabinet, which shows disk-access, goes to high-intensity. i close X and i do not do any work on it but it repeatedly shows disk-access for continuously 5-10 min and i notice that everything goes slow e.g. if i "startx" at that time then it starts X slowly, 3 times slower than normal or if i copy some files then copy slowly and slowly as disk is already being used for some unknown reason :-(

this disk-access happens several times a day. why Gentoo keeps on accessing my disk even though i am not using or doing anything with disk ?
no_hope
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: unnecessary disk-access Reply with quote

Is it possible that the machine is swapping at those times? top might show you which process is causing that behavior. Also, try running lsof when disk starts grinding.
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: unnecessary disk-access Reply with quote

no_hope wrote:
Is it possible that the machine is swapping at those times? top might show you which process is causing that behavior. Also, try running lsof when disk starts grinding.

ok i will do that but by "swapping" you mean putting the programs from RAM -> SWAP ?
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: unnecessary disk-access Reply with quote

no_hope wrote:

i ran "lsof" in both cases and the only difference is "cron" jobs. when LED goes red, cron is running but i did not set up any cron jobs, i just installed "vixie-cron" and did not set it up, leaving it as is don't know cron is running :-(
no_hope
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's updatedb. check out various cron files and directories in /etc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: