Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New filesystem: Btrfs!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no performance gains over any filesystem that I know of.
It seems stable with 2.6.32 and 2.6.33-rc2. But regular backups and keeping the kernel uptodate may be required.
Out of space is now handled.
No known issues with NFS. I use CIFS and that seems to be working fine.

You wanna use btrfs for its internal RAID management, efficient small file handling (750MB portage dir on ext4 vs 280MB portage dir on btrfs), data checksumming (biggest PLUS because bigger drives mean more chance of hardware errors) and compression related gains (my / size went from 13GB to 7GB). You don't wanna use it for performance enhancements, because there are none.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running my rootfs on btrfs since quite some time (September 22nd, 2009) and the system is still alive. Cannot say that it was a bad way to go for me... although I am happy to have good backups :)
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input.

devsk wrote:
You don't wanna use it for performance enhancements, because there are none.

I was under the impression that with btrfs in a RAID-5 like state or whatever different RAID models it may contain, that it speeds up by operating across several disks. I have used ZFS on an X4500 (48 SATA drives) and using RAID-Z was easily able to sustain 300MBps network throughput (yes, MB/sec) because of the drive balancing. I was hoping btrfs has or will have a similar ability.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
Thank you both for your input.

devsk wrote:
You don't wanna use it for performance enhancements, because there are none.

I was under the impression that with btrfs in a RAID-5 like state or whatever different RAID models it may contain, that it speeds up by operating across several disks. I have used ZFS on an X4500 (48 SATA drives) and using RAID-Z was easily able to sustain 300MBps network throughput (yes, MB/sec) because of the drive balancing. I was hoping btrfs has or will have a similar ability.
Of course. As I said, you can use btrfs's internal raid to throw multiple devices at it in a raid0, raid1 or raid10 configuration. RAID will give you much better performance. But that's not apple to apple comparison with ext4, for example. Try running ext4 on software raid vs btrfs raid, and you will either not find a winner or ext4 will come out on top slightly. There is a cost-benefits trade off with checksumming every block. As btrfs becomes mature, performance improvements will come with time!
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So at the current time, using software RAID and ext4 would yield just about the same performance? Well then if that's the case I guess it will come down to data integrity. I am somewhat familiar with the reason for checksumming, but in reality, does btrfs' checksums or etx4 have better data integrity? Is btrfs as capable of a power failure as ext3/4 is with journalling? I did already have ext4 fail me a few months ago and destroyed all data on my 1TB drive. I had backups, luckily though :)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
So at the current time, using software RAID and ext4 would yield just about the same performance? Well then if that's the case I guess it will come down to data integrity. I am somewhat familiar with the reason for checksumming, but in reality, does btrfs' checksums or etx4 have better data integrity? Is btrfs as capable of a power failure as ext3/4 is with journalling? I did already have ext4 fail me a few months ago and destroyed all data on my 1TB drive. I had backups, luckily though :)
I think I already highlighted the reasons for me to use btrfs:
Quote:
You wanna use btrfs for its internal RAID management, efficient small file handling (750MB portage dir on ext4 vs 280MB portage dir on btrfs), data checksumming (biggest PLUS because bigger drives mean more chance of hardware errors) and compression related gains (my / size went from 13GB to 7GB).
Data checksum is a standout feature for me.

I am using it for my "/" in RAID0 across my SSD drives and its performance is same as I got from ext4 on ISW DMRAID or ext4 on softraid (the MD variety). Highlights of performance differences:

1. Sequential throughput (read/write both) is slightly lower than ext4.
2. Random throughput is about same as ext4.
3. Small file performance (reading/writing) is much better than ext4.
4. Deleting directories containing large number of small files is much better than ext4.
5. Traversing directories (like find or du) containing large number of dirs containing large number of small files is better than ext4.
6. Deleting large files is slightly faster than ext4.
7. Large files get less number of fragments compared to ext4 FS of the same size and free space e.g. 1GB file gets 3-4 fragments in BTRFS, but may get 15-20 fragments in ext4.

I have documented these on this forum/thread somewhere with real data from 'du', 'find', 'rm', 'emerge', 'dd', etc.

I am planning to do a power failure test of this FS and then, I am done. If it passes that, I am good with it.
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sums up just about all the questions I have. I will begin compiling the latest kernel now to test out btrfs goodies on a spare drive and expect to soon roll it out across all my drives :)

Thanks again!
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
Wow that sums up just about all the questions I have. I will begin compiling the latest kernel now to test out btrfs goodies on a spare drive and expect to soon roll it out across all my drives :)

Thanks again!
I haven't rolled it out to all my drives yet. The best test for an FS is '/' and '/home'. I am going to let it cook for a while on '/' (and my /home is same '/') and then roll it out.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, your best bet is vanilla-sources 2.6.33-rc2. Its rock stable here!
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way for 2.6.33-rc* for me - reiserfs is somehow broken on .33 right now ...

which version of btrfs does 2.6.32 include ? I'd like to use it and btrfs-progs but don't know whether 0.19 suffices for that task

thanks ! :)

to be more precise I'm using zen-kernel 2.6.32-zen3 and don't know which release of btrfs they pulled in:

http://git.zen-kernel.org/?p=kernel/zen-stable.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/btrfs

edit:

found it out:
Quote:

File: fs/btrfs/version.sh

#!/bin/bash
#
# determine-version -- report a useful version for releases
#
# Copyright 2008, Aron Griffis <agriffis@n01se.net>
# Copyright 2008, Oracle
# Released under the GNU GPLv2

v="v0.16"

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The btrfs in the stock 2.6.32.2 kernel is compatible with btrfs v0.16, but you will find several updates (some important IMHO) in the btrfs code for the 2.6.33 rc kernel.

Here's the shortlog for the history of the btrfs code in the stock 2.6.32.2 kernel from kernel.org (Note: I saw the same thing looking at Zen's git history for 2.6.32.2).:

(Edit to note that I see the 2.6.32-zen3 kernel is different thatn the Zen 2.6.32.2 kernel, and has backported the latest changes).

Linux kernel 2.6.32.2 stable fs/btrfs history

There were approximately 18 new git commits for the 2.6.33 rc kernel. The btrfs developers have followed a pattern recently of making the majority of their commits in at the same time, immediately at the start of the rc cycle for the newest kernel.

At this time, I have not noticed any efforts to backport any of their commits to prior versions. However, I have had success manually backporting their latest code to the prior kernel releases (although I have not tried the 2.6.32 kernel yet while waiting in vain for an Edward-official reiser4 patch).

Btrfs is a fast moving target right now, and they still seem to be in a phase of continuous improvement. This makes it a hard choice to use for anything but a testing environment.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:

I've been following the discussion with intense interest but have not yet brought up a btrfs partition yet. I do have partitions which are chock full of small files so I'm serious about the intense interest.

I have two problems with trying out btrfs at the present time and neither "problem child" has anything to do with btrfs.

The first one is "vmware-workstation". This is a requirement for me which means I need confirmation that it will work on latest kernel.

The second problem child is "ati-drivers". Yeah. I know. But I'm running a new board with a newer GPU chip.

As soon has I'm happy that everything I need will work under the new kernels, I fully intend to migrate to btrfs. For now, I'm sitting on the sidelines.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
devsk wrote:

I've been following the discussion with intense interest but have not yet brought up a btrfs partition yet. I do have partitions which are chock full of small files so I'm serious about the intense interest.

I have two problems with trying out btrfs at the present time and neither "problem child" has anything to do with btrfs.

The first one is "vmware-workstation". This is a requirement for me which means I need confirmation that it will work on latest kernel.

The second problem child is "ati-drivers". Yeah. I know. But I'm running a new board with a newer GPU chip.

As soon has I'm happy that everything I need will work under the new kernels, I fully intend to migrate to btrfs. For now, I'm sitting on the sidelines.
That's a real problem! I moved to VirtualBox (with 3.1.0, the feature set is close or even better in some sense) just because I couldn't really compile vmware modules anymore. I know it will eventually get fixed but its a recurring problem. Somehow, VB folks have figured out how not to break their modules between kernel revisions. Vmware goes deep into kernel voodooland...

As for ati drivers, you are out of luck. You can only wait!

Its strange that such things are hindering the adoption and testing of a beautiful FS.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:
The btrfs in the stock 2.6.32.2 kernel is compatible with btrfs v0.16, but you will find several updates (some important IMHO) in the btrfs code for the 2.6.33 rc kernel.

Here's the shortlog for the history of the btrfs code in the stock 2.6.32.2 kernel from kernel.org (Note: I saw the same thing looking at Zen's git history for 2.6.32.2).:

(Edit to note that I see the 2.6.32-zen3 kernel is different thatn the Zen 2.6.32.2 kernel, and has backported the latest changes).

Linux kernel 2.6.32.2 stable fs/btrfs history

There were approximately 18 new git commits for the 2.6.33 rc kernel. The btrfs developers have followed a pattern recently of making the majority of their commits in at the same time, immediately at the start of the rc cycle for the newest kernel.

At this time, I have not noticed any efforts to backport any of their commits to prior versions. However, I have had success manually backporting their latest code to the prior kernel releases (although I have not tried the 2.6.32 kernel yet while waiting in vain for an Edward-official reiser4 patch).

Btrfs is a fast moving target right now, and they still seem to be in a phase of continuous improvement. This makes it a hard choice to use for anything but a testing environment.

thank you very much, Dont Panic ! :)

seems like I'd be using btrfs now instead of reiser4 on several partitions :wink:

(I know it's not finished yet - so it'll be not so critical partitions)

ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

/usr/portage or /var/tmp/portage are always nice test candidates because it doesn't matter if you loose things there. Personally I prefer those directories as testfields as they are actually used...
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

/usr/portage or /var/tmp/portage are always nice test candidates because it doesn't matter if you loose things there. Personally I prefer those directories as testfields as they are actually used...
Particularly, /usr/portage is nice because it will test the small file capability of the FS very well! And then, its effect is cleanly measurable by timing 'emerge', 'du', 'find' etc.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

actually I'm going so far to put all my data on it as an additional "backup"-partition (of minor importance) just to see how well it does

in the wiki it says:
Quote:
Space efficient packing of small files

isn't that another word for "tail-packing" ?

I've also read that it stores small files directly in the leaves of a tree so another commonality it shares with reiser*-filesystems (advantages of extents without the disadvantages of extents for small files) :)

devsk wrote:
ToeiRei wrote:

Particularly, /usr/portage is nice because it will test the small file capability of the FS very well! And then, its effect is cleanly measurable by timing 'emerge', 'du', 'find' etc.

definitely ! it's comparable to reiser4 when looking at performance and other factors ...

from its behavior:

* performance-wise it seems to be among reiser4, ext4, reiserfs - so very fast
* space-efficiency related it seems to be comparable to reiser4 with lzo-compression or somewhat better than reiserfs
* data-safety wise - I can't say anything yet (but it should be pretty good unless there are still some severe hidden bugs lying underneath)

does anyone know what hash concept btrfs relies on ? how high is the probability of hash collisions ?

I've recently switched from r5-hash (modified rupasov) in reiserfs to tea-hash just to be sure that all my data is intact since I'm having several identical filenames, highly nested folder structures and probably also some identical files

is filesystem-compression enabled by default now ? I read it somewhere therefore I haven't mounted it with the compression command now - if not I need to reformat, mount it with the -o compress option 8O

Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

is filesystem-compression enabled by default now ? I read it somewhere therefore I haven't mounted it with the compression command now - if not I need to reformat, mount it with the -o compress option 8O

I've been following this project fairly closely, and I can't recall seeing anywhere that compression would be the default option.

I'd be surprised if it was, and I'm pretty sure it would have sparked a visible, spirited discussion on the Mailing List. I think the majority of their target users would value speed over space utilization.

Personally, I'm glad they've provided a compression option. But it doesn't seem to be a high profile feature to the developers.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

I've been following this project fairly closely, and I can't recall seeing anywhere that compression would be the default option.

I'd be surprised if it was, and I'm pretty sure it would have sparked a visible, spirited discussion on the Mailing List. I think the majority of their target users would value speed over space utilization.

Personally, I'm glad they've provided a compression option. But it doesn't seem to be a high profile feature to the developers.

you're right - so I should rely on the "official" sources of information :wink:

I just found out that it must NOT be enabled at default because of the following results:

/dev/mapper/portage 4.0G 1.2G 2.8G 31% /usr/gentoo (no compress mount-option)

/dev/mapper/portage 4.0G 1021M 3.0G 26% /usr/gentoo (with compress mount-option)

it also said in dmesg-output:
Quote:
[12822.700181] btrfs: use compression

I don't know if it's only a subjective observation but with compression btrfs "feels" (even) faster during syncing of the portage-tree :D

seems like I need to reformat my data-partition :lol:

regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kernelOfTruth"]
Dont Panic wrote:

I just found out that it must NOT be enabled at default because of the following results:

/dev/mapper/portage 4.0G 1021M 3.0G 26% /usr/gentoo (with compress mount-option)

Are your subvolumes shown via /dev/mapper?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="regomodo"]
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Dont Panic wrote:

Are your subvolumes shown via /dev/mapper?

no - it's actually an encrypted volume (via cryptsetup) and on top a btrfs-partition with the default subvolume (only one)

devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:

actually, compression is faster AND space efficient. Compression saves on number of IOs you have to do to get the actual data. Try compressing a 500MB text file down to 50MB with gzip and load it in VIM. AND then, try loading the uncompressed text file in VIM. IO is still the bottleneck of modern systems. CPU is not. So, compression is ideal for modern systems where you have really fast CPUs and lot of CPU cycles freely available, but not as much IO bandwidth. If you have a fast SSD, where the IO bandwidth as well as the latency is small, this may not be as beneficial but still better than non-compression.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you have SSD, you wanna reduce the erase cycles on it because you can only erase a cell 10000 times for MLS and 100000 for SLC. Compression can essentially reduce the number of actual IOs to the device by an order of magnitude. So, compression again is ideal for SSDs.
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@devsk

Did you ever solve the bootup and Btrfs issue? I've tried 2.6.32 and 2.6.33-rc2 and still get the same issue.
I don't get errors when I do it manually but /etc/fstab always requires me alternating between /dev/sda /dev/sdb for the block device.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regomodo wrote:
@devsk

Did you ever solve the bootup and Btrfs issue? I've tried 2.6.32 and 2.6.33-rc2 and still get the same issue.
I don't get errors when I do it manually but /etc/fstab always requires me alternating between /dev/sda /dev/sdb for the block device.
No, still facing the same issue myself. I think we need to report it upstream.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 15 of 26

Jump to: