Recommendations for gaming on an intel 852GM laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w0kKiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for gaming on an intel 852GM laptop Reply with quote

I recently installed Gentoo on a relatively old Toshiba A15. Now this is no gaming laptop, and it never was. It has a 2.4Ghz Celeron (Northwood), 256MB of RAM and intel 852GM integrated graphics with 32mb of shared memory. However, I'm a bit of a gamer and i run all sorts of games (mainly FPSs) on my main desktop (in windows alas).
I was hoping to be able to get some basic 3d games to be able to play on my laptop for a bit of entertainment when I'm on the move. naturally, i'm not expecting to be playing doom3, but i was hoping there might be some FPSs in portage you could recommend, or any other reasonably 'advanced' games. What I mean is that i'd like something a little more than Bubbles and tetris like games or other things I can play in Flash online.
Sorry if the request is a bit general, but i really don't know where to start!

PS I run the standard i810 drivers that come with Xorg. There isn't anything better for this graphics chip to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance!
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out intel's website regarding what the Intel 852 can play. Can't remember the exact link, but they do list compatible games for each card. If you find something interesting listed, and there isn't a native Linux version, you can probably get it running under wine.

The 852 should be able to play some of the more basic games (i.e. without T&L and probably no shaders).
w0kKiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip! I didn't realise intel was kind enough to create a game compatibility list. I was hoping some people might still have some suggestions for specific games found in portage? thanks again.

PS Wouldn't games that might run natively in Windows have a possibility of not running in wine (when an ebuild and/or linux version is lacking) because more processing power would be required for the emulation?
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w0kKiD wrote:
PS Wouldn't games that might run natively in Windows have a possibility of not running in wine (when an ebuild and/or linux version is lacking) because more processing power would be required for the emulation?

Sometimes... though it really depends on the game. Sometimes, it's comparable or faster under wine. Check out http://appdb.winehq.org and search for your favorite game.

As for things in portage, chances are if you have 3D accel available, and the game is in portage, you can run it. You may have to play with the settings.

For example, I have tried the Unreal engine (both native and via wine) and worked ok for me, though I have an 855 and 945 here.
w0kKiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably won't bother with wine on this laptop seeing as gaming isn't its primary use.
However, i just had a go at installing and playing transfusion (games-fps/transfusion), and i've run into some trouble. when i first opened it, it looked fine, but it was ridiculously choppy, which i realised was because i hadn't gotten direct rendering configured properly. I got that sorted (although there was only 200-300 fps jump in glxgears which is rather poor), but now Transfusion is completely messed up!
The framerate seems fine, but i cant make anything out. Textures are nonexistent, i can just sort of see polygons. In the game menu I also cant see anything but squares and rectangles. However, when I foolishly tried playing UT2003, everything was fine (apart from the framerate ofcourse, which was barely playable on the very lowest settings on the simplest maps), including textures and the like (sound was a bit of an issue, but seeing as the game doesnt really work it doesnt matter). Anyone have any ideas?

PS Seeing as the topic has changed from the original intentions of this thread, should I create a new one?

EDIT: do i have to install any more stuff to get proper opengl support, or is configuring direct rendering enough?
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If installing games from ebuilds, all required deps will be pulled in.

UT2003 has heavy vid card requirements to be playable. It is barely usable (though it runs) on my 945.

I tried the transfusion game, and had some problems launching it myslef (couldn't find map bb1 or something). I suspect your problem though is related to the textures. Since the Intel cards to not have built in support for compressed textures, you need a special package to do this in software (at least I think that may be your problem).

Setup/install layman if you do not have it, and then add the r330-driver overlay (yes - I know you have an Intel, but this overlay has grown beyond the r300-driver and it contains libtxcdxtn which is the package you need). Install libtxcdxtn, and then try transfusion again.
w0kKiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed layman, but apparently there is no overlay called r300-driver and when I run 'layman -L' there is nothing similar to it in the list.

EDIT: i have now managed to install the r300 overlay and the libtxdcxtn package, but I still have the same problem. I can make out all the shapes of things, but I guess anywhere where loading a picture onto something is involved (ie textures mainly), it fails and instead displays a solid colour or a random combination. I guess this would also explain the fact that nothing in the menu is visible, because images need to be loaded for it. Is there something extra I have to do apart from just emerging the package?
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w0kKiD wrote:
I just installed layman, but apparently there is no overlay called r300-driver and when I run 'layman -L' there is nothing similar to it in the list.

EDIT: i have now managed to install the r300 overlay and the libtxdcxtn package, but I still have the same problem. I can make out all the shapes of things, but I guess anywhere where loading a picture onto something is involved (ie textures mainly), it fails and instead displays a solid colour or a random combination. I guess this would also explain the fact that nothing in the menu is visible, because images need to be loaded for it. Is there something extra I have to do apart from just emerging the package?

Once you have the lib installed, you need to enable it via driconf (if you do not have this installed, then do so).

Via driconf, you can add an option to force s3tc (libtxdctxn) on. This may be what you need. Read about driconf here: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf
w0kKiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried forcing s3tc as you said, but the problem remains. However, this only appears to happen in Transfusion and no other game I've tried so I'm not that bothered anymore. I recently installed UT:GOTY which has kept me happy for a while now :D If I ever run into similar trouble with another game I'll just make a new thread. I'm sorted for now though. Thanks for all the help anyway! It's been a good learning experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: