Install with LILO instead of GRUB?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Install with LILO instead of GRUB? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm kind of a noob here, I've been looking around and haven't found much, but I've just been wondering if it's possible to install with LILO and not install GRUB at all? I've used Mandrake and Red Hat and I like LILO a lot better than GRUB. Right now I'm in the middle of an install at home (I'm at work now) where I started installing GRUB, changed my mind and started trying to install LILO with an "emerge lilo", it downloaded but I wasn't having much luck configuring it. Here's my setup:

hda1 NTFS Win XP 20gb
hda2 linux swap 512mb
hda5 EXT3 linux boot 100mb
hda6 EXT3 linux root 20gb
hda7 (I think it's 7) FAT32 71gb

What would I have to do to set up LILO in this configuration? I don't need to be able to boot to the FAT32 partition, it's just my "mass storage" partition to be used for mp3's and such in both Windows and Linux. (I have a WD 120gb HD). I would like to remove whatever part of GRUB I've installed, remove LILO ("emerge unmerge lilo", right?), and start configuring from scratch.

Thanks for any assistance you all can provide.

Chris
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the archives. I don't think you can avoid installing grub since it's part of 'emerge system', but you can certainly use lilo instead of grub. (might be able to mask grub during emerge system, not sure)

--kurt
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I saw that, but it doesn't go into quite the depth I need. As you can see from my post, I've gotten as far as "emerge lilo" but I'm not sure where to go from there, and that post doesn't address that.

Chris
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just be able to install lilo per normal and have it work. Assuming you're installing it in the mbr, it will overwrite anything grub has already put there.

As for specific lilo config suggestions, I'll let someone else who uses lilo offer suggestions. However, reading over your original post, why do you want to unmerge lilo in the first place? Isn't that what you want to use?

--kurt
id10t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are running something that uses ntldr (nt/2k/xp), you need to write lilo to the / partition. Once that is done, you need to strip off that boot record, put it in a file, and put a reference to it in your boot.ini file.

Here's a page of gory details... http://www.afn.org/~afn57538/v3linux/nt-linux.htm
scoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed lilo instead of grub and it works fine. my partitions are like so...

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hds2 swap
/dev/hda3 /
/dev/sda1 /usr
/dev/sda2 /var
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided that it doesn't really matter too much what bootloader I use, so I'm using GRUB anyway. I couldn't get it to work before, that was part of the problem, but then I figure out that the first step...when it says "root (hdxX,X)" it's actually referring to the boot partition, not the root :) Confusing, but hey I'm a noob.

Chris
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why grub couldn't have been written to follow the standard hda1, hda2 naming convention is beyond me. I'm sure there's a reason, but boy howdy, it better be a good one for all the trouble it causes people...

--kurt
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the FAQ:

Quote:
5. How to specify a partition? That seems to be very different from my operating system...

Yes, GRUB's device syntax is very different from others, but somewhat resembles DOS and Windows 98. GRUB doesn't distinguish between IDE and SCSI, so your hard disk drives are represented as (hd%d) (%d is an integer, counted from zero). Likewise, your floppy drives are represented as (fd%d).

The point that confuses the users very much is the partition numbering style. GRUB counts partitions from zero, while almost all operating systems count from one. We will fix the inconsistency someday.

So, no, it's not a very good reason. ;)
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LILO = LInux LOader
GRUB = The GRand Unified Bootloader

LILO is for Linux, GRUB is for many OS's.

From http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD-2.html#ss2.2:
Code:
The hard drives are labelled in the following way in Linux and FreeBSD:

Linux           FreeBSD
First IDE drive         /dev/hda        /dev/wd0
Second IDE drive        /dev/hdb        /dev/wd1
First SCSI drive        /dev/sda        /dev/sd0
Second SCSI drive       /dev/sdb        /dev/sd1

There is a good reason... :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
There is a good reason... :)

Fair enough. Now I know what to tell people when they bitch about it. ;)

--kurt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: lilo vs grub Reply with quote

FGHELLAR

That is justifying on the level of grade-school mentality.
It is because it is ? The way grub labels drives somewhat the same as FreeBSD does
not make it a good reason. What about A5 & A6 ? Would it also qualify as good only
if it emulated Apple or Sun or Winxx ? The main reason it seems to cause confusion
is that it counts from zero . Since it is not hexa-decimal origin, that is contrary
to standard mathematics. We could count with base of many origins, but only if
there is a justified reason to do so. It is called setting and following useable and
logical standards. If Gentoo is developed for optimization and best useablity, it
should adopt standards and codes that conform to the most common good, not
justify bad practices because it is used somewhat the same in any other system.
Why not examine if the way BSD labels is very useful. Read your own link, it states
where BSD labeling integrates very poorly. With your reasoning, we would be lumbered
with many other unjustified inconsistancies. More than there is, that is !!
Wise up, you are a Guru in your own eyes only.
MPea3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to use lilo is simple. i prefer lilo because i'm used to it, and since it works, iu didn't see a reason to change.

first, emerge lilo during the install. then read the man page for lilo, it's very thorough and easy to understand. from that create a /etc/lilo.conf file (or start with the /etc/lilo.conf.example file which installs when you emerge lilo), and having done that, run /sbin/lilo. it's simple, and trust me, if *I* can do it anyone can.

my own lilo.conf file follows. i have 4 scsi disks and 1 ide disk. the idew disk is win98, sda is gentoo, sdb is unused at the moment, sdc is freeBSD, and sdd is netBSD.

# lilo.conf
#
boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=150
linear
vga=normal
read-only
menu-title="luthier.net"

other=/dev/hda1
label=windows

image=/boot/bzImage
label=linux
root=/dev/sda2

image=/boot/bzImage.old
label=oldlinux
root=/dev/sda2

other=/dev/sdc1
label=freeBSD

other=/dev/sdd
label=netBSD
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: lilo vs grub Reply with quote

Someone who couldn't be bothered to register wrote:
The main reason it seems to cause confusion
is that it counts from zero . Since it is not hexa-decimal origin, that is contrary to standard mathematics.

It very well might be, but counting from zero is certainly not contrary to standard programming.

If Gentoo is developed for optimization and best useablity, it should adopt standards and codes that conform to the most common good

Gosh, you mean like, GNU GRUB?

Wise up, you are a Guru in your own eyes only.

And you are completely ignorant of which you speak.

--kurt
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: lilo vs grub Reply with quote

For someone who used LILO for about 7 years and then moved on to grub, there is really no comparison - grub is far better. Advantages:

- grub understands file systems. This in and of itself is a reason to choose grub
    - grub does not need to store lower-level disk locations of kernels. This is a big plus and a PITA with LILO
    - error recovery: forgot to copy your freshly minted kernel into /boot. No problem - grub can boot off your kernel in the source hierarchy
    - no need to install. I have used grub to get back to my system when my MBR is toast for some reason or another
    - command line "tab completion". This is an under-appreciated feature that greatly reduces potential errors in providing file names.

I am not bad mouthing LILO, but grub is a better tool. Drive naming, etc., are fairly trivial things that you can adjust to easily, considering all the other advantages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: