Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 8] [POST GRUB QUESTIONS HERE!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjf55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First glance show that you have a typo in fstab for the file system on the cdroms. You have audo, and it should be auto.
Also, in your grub.conf, Try removing video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap from your kernel line. When I compare to my grub.conf, that is the difference.
But... I have a feeling thats not it. Give it go and try. Let us know what happens
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video= line and the typo (audo instead of auto) are not the source of the problem. It actually seems like there is a problem with the base installation as it can't find the console or tty1. Have you ever been able to boot this system?
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured out the problem was, the partition was empty. I did the installation on the folder before mounting. Which I thought I had mounted before the installation :oops:
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured out the problem, and posted the solution here. Please post back if you run into any other troubles.
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Major Nub Needing Major Help Dual Boot Problems XP GENTOO !! Reply with quote

I am new to Linux and this is the first Linux version I have ever attempted to install. I tried to follow the handbook as best as I could, but It has gotten me nowhere. I have 2 HD's the master has XP and I want to do a dual boot. I tried to copy all the lines of code correctly and use grub to do the boot, but all the boot does is going straight to windows. so what I did was change the BIOS Boot device to HD-1, where my linux boot is. This was not in the handbook, but I was tired of redoing the install for the third time in the last 12 hours. I get some lines from my grub file that I typed along with some error. After this it continues to an extremely blurry screen, in which where I have the Windows XP and Linux Options, but niether work and both give some kind of error that I can't read due to the bluriness. anyhow this is what I can read....

Booting'Gentoo Linux 2.6.19-r5
root(hd1,0)
Filesystem type Unknown, Partition type0X7 kernel/boot-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init/linuxc ramdis=8192 real_root=/dev/db3 udev

Error 17: Cannot Mount Selected Partition

Any help is appreciated
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You changed the bios so it now boots the hd where grub is installed, but grub is now seeing the harddisk where xp is installed as hd1,0 and tries to boot from there. And since it can't understand ntfs partitions is spits out the error 17 message. If you edit grub.conf and change root(hd1,0) to root(hd0,0) you'll probably see some improvement. The blurry screen is probably because the line for the splashimage is also pointint to the wrong harddisk.

Oh and real_root=/dev/db3 udev is not right too. If you have a sata disk, you'll want to change it to real_root=/dev/sda3. sda because you changed the order in the bios.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand

Last edited by nixnut on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I do this without Redoing my whole installation for the fourth time??? how do I edit that file without putting in the boot disk and starting over??? also, it doesn't matter if Linux installed in hd1 it still has to boot from hd0,0? can you tell me more about what that line of code that has that line is doing?

thanks in advance
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksand_45 wrote:
can I do this without Redoing my whole installation for the fourth time??? how do I edit that file without putting in the boot disk and starting over??? also, it doesn't matter if Linux installed in hd1 it still has to boot from hd0,0? can you tell me more about what that line of code that has that line is doing?

Reinstalling is a bad habit that windows teaches people. Your problem now is only with the bootloader. You may run into a problem with the kernel later though. First, editing grub.conf: boot the livecd and mount the boot partition. If you followed the handbook, your boot partition is probably /dev/sda1 now: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo. Then edit it: nano -w /mnt/gentoo/grub/grub.conf
If you can't mount /dev/sda1 try /dev/sdb1.

Linux can be on any disk, but the bootloader grub must be installed in the mbr of the disk your computer boots. Your computer boots the harddisk, finds grub. grub is then loaded and needs to find some of its files and then where to find a kernel to boot. The root (hd0,0) is for telling grub where it can find the kernel image: on the first partition of the first harddisk.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the config file, but it still just boots right to windows XP, should I even be changing the BIOS boot from CD-ROM at all??? also, I installed linux on hdb ( that was a typo from before). hda is my windows hard drive.
this is my grub.conf

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz # does this have to be (hd0,0) or the drive I am installing Linux on??

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.19-r5
root (hd0,0) #does this have to be (hd0,0) or the drive I am installing linux on ?????
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hdb3 udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0) #Windows Partition and drive??
makeactive
chainloader +1
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I think both those lines have to be changed to my master hard drive (hd0,0). I made this change, however I am still having problems. The Splash Image is now loading fine, and giving me the appropriate options when I set the BIOS to boot from HD-1. if I don't set the Bios boot on HD-1, then windows XP loads by itself. HD0 only boots to windows. when I choose Linux on the HD-1 boot, the code :
"Filesystem type Unknown, Partition type0X7 kernel/boot-genkernel-x86-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init/linuxc ramdis=8192 real_root=/dev/db3 udev"
is displayed followed by
Error 15: File Not Found
when Windows is selected this error is displayed after :
"title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0) #Windows Partition and drive??
makeactive
chainloader +1"
Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format
therefore I am unable to boot linux or windows from HD-1 ( where linux is installed)

At least the splash screen is working
:lol:

any help would be very much appreciated
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksand_45,

Post the output of
Code:
fdisk -l
please
Code:
Filesystem type Unknown, Partition type0X7
tells that grub is looking for your kernel on the wrong partition and possibly the wrong drive.

/dev/hdb, will be (hd1) to grub, so your entries
Code:
splashimage=(hd0,0)...
root (hd0,0)
probably point to the wrong drive.

Those entries have to point to where the files you wish to load can be found.
There is a complication - some BIOSes always report the boot drive as (hd0), whatever it really is.

Boot grub, when you get to the grub splash screen press 'e' and edit your root (hd .... statement.
This only changes the image in RAM, so if it works, you need to edit grub.conf after its booted.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contents of fdisk -l: ( copied manually) :

Code:
Disk/dev/hda: 40.0GB 40020664326 Bytes
255 heads, 63 Sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
units = cylinders of 16065 *512 = 8225280
Device    Boot  Start End Blocks      ID      System
/dev/hda1 *       1  4865 39078081   7     HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/hdb: 120.0 GB, 120024123776 Bytes
255 heads, 63 Sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
units = cylinders of 16065 *512 = 8225280

Device     Boot  Start End Blocks      ID      System
/dev/hdb1   *      1      5     40131     83       Linux
/dev/hdb2           6      68   5064771   82         Linux/Swap Solaris
/dev/hdb3           69   14593   1166720621         Linux

Disk/dev/sda: 320.0GB, 32007293376
255 heads, 63 Sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
/dev/sda1   *    1 38913  321568641 W95 FAT 23 (LBA)

The first drive is my Windows second my Linux and third is just an external USB HD, but I'm sure you can tell from above. I realize it's pointing to the wrong place, I just don't know why. I have made changed to grub.conf, but I get the errors still. Thanks in advance
kienjakenobi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: File not found Reply with quote

I did a stage3 install from the 2007.0 minimal installation disk on a Pentium 4 computer. Right after compiling the kernel I copied the kernel image to the boot partition with this command:

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r6

Later when I got to the point of creating /boot/grub/menu.lst I created this entry for Gentoo:

title Gentoo 2.6.23
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda4 vga=0x31B video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap

When I reach the GRUB menu on boot and select Gentoo I receive "Error 15: File not found." I believe it is talking about the kernel image, but I am at a complete loss as to what is missing. I booted back into the minimal install disk and used the ls command to make certain that the image at /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bzImage was identical to the file in /boot that I named "linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r6". I can boot perfectly well into Windows XP through GRUB, but my only other entry, Gentoo, gives that error. Furthermore, I have confirmed several times that my Gentoo partition is the fourth partition on my one and only hard drive.

These errors always end up being something silly, but I am not finding it this time.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your /etc/fstab and your current partitioning scheme. It could also be that your kernel doesn't have the support for your PATA/SATA controller built in.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksand_45,

Remove your USB hard - drive, thats an unnacessary complication at the moment. We will add it later.
You are now left with Windows on /dev/hda (hd0) for grub and linux on /dev/hdb (hd1) for grub.

Leave the Windows boot loader on the MBR of (hd0) and we will install grub to the MBR of (hd1).
Grub will be able to boot both Windows and Linux and the Windows drive will only boot Windows.
When it looks like its working, you have to set your BIOS to boot from the second hard drive, so it loads grub.

Given the above, your grub.conf should contain (hd1,0) where grub partition references are required for linux and (hd0,0) for Windows.
Thats the first partition on the second drive.

Get back into your chroot install grub to the MBR of /dev/hdb with
Code:
grub  (add --no-floppy if you do not have a floppy)
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
quit 

Fix your /boot/grub/grub.conf
Point your BIOS at the second drive and see if it boots now.

Using a USB hard drive can change the BIOS hard drive detection order, so you need to make up your mind if you will boot with it always connected or always removed. You won't know what your BIOS does until you can boot with it disconnected, hence the reason to disconnect it until booting works.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I boot into Gentoo I get something complaining about root= hda3 or unknown block(0,0). I don't understand whats wrong with it :(

Heres the new grub.conf

Code:

default  0
timeout 60
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title   Gentoo Linux 2.6.24
root   (hd0,0)
kernel  /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo root=/dev/hda3
akirhol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eckos wrote:
When I boot into Gentoo I get something complaining about root= hda3 or unknown block(0,0). I don't understand whats wrong with it :(

Heres the new grub.conf

Code:

default  0
timeout 60
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title   Gentoo Linux 2.6.24
root   (hd0,0)
kernel  /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo root=/dev/hda3

Do you have ReiserFS support built into the kernel [not a module]?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eckos,

Added the thread to the grub sticky - NeddySeagoon

Code:
unknown block(0,0)
means that the kernel has loaded and cannot communicate with your hard drive controller.
Thats to be expected as you used to use an initrd and don't any more.

The initrd is a temporary root filesystem that contains the kernel module for your hard drive controller. The module is also in /lib/modules/... which is on your root filesystem but you need the module located on the root filesystem to read the root filesystem to load the module ....

Either rebuild your kernel so it includes all the things you need to boot or use the initrd as you did before.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I found the module needed now I get to Gentoo Linux part of the booting and get

failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': no such file or directory
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eckos,

The kernel now has two different branches that support PATA devices.
The branch
Code:
ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
makes your PATA hard drives appear as /dev/hd... as you would expect.
The branch
Code:
Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
makes them appear as SCSI devices or /dev/sd...
Building both drivers confuses the kernel as its always a bad idea to have two drivers for the same piece of hardware at the same time.

You may find that root=/dev/sda3 works.

If not, post your lspci output and your root filesystem type and we can tell you how to set up a kernel for your hardware and root fs.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
here are the available partitions
0300 117220894 hda driver: ide-disk
0301 104391   hda1
0302 2939895  hda2
0303 58597087 hda3
0304 55576567 hda4
1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
1640 4194302 hdd driver: ide-cdrom

Code:

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks NeddySeagoon for the help, but I can't get it going... When I boot Windows I get
Code:
error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable file

and when I boot Linux I get
Code:
unable to mount the partition

I know it's looking in the right place because it does not give "file not found".
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eckos,

A few pointers. You don't appear to have any SCSI/SATA drives so Cannot open root device "sda3" is to be expected. Thats your 3rd partition on your first SCSI drive. Further unknown-block(0,0) means that the system cannot talk to your hard drive controller at all. You have on or both of those as problems.

Note how the shell in the initrd offers you hda partitions as boot options.

Your Hard Drive Controller is
Code:
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
which needs this kernel setup with one change.
You do not need the
Code:
 Intel PIIXn chipsets support
option. Instead use the
Code:
VT82Cxxx
option further down the same menu.
All options must be compiled in <*>, not <M>.
Remake your kernel if you change anything.

You will also need to change the =/dev/sda3 to =/dev/hda3 in grub.conf and check your /etc/fstab.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksand_45,

With Windows on your first hard drive this
Code:
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
is correct to boot Windows, regardless of where grub is installed.

The linux part should go if you use (hd1,0) for splashimage and root

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
quicksand_45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately these are the lines I have down for windows exactly, and I get that error regardless...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: