View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Missing icons in KDE 3.5 [almost solved] Reply with quote

I'm having all sorts of problems with icons in KDE. When I switch to the default, Crystal SVG icon theme, Konqueror, Konsole, and a few more apps are missing their icons in the Kmenu, taskbar and system tray. What's more, when I change icon themes, certain applications seem completely unaffected. For example, the icons for Kmix, Kopete and KMail never change, no matter which icon theme I select.

Also, Amarok doesn't display any of its custom icons. Everything that is supposed to be an icon shows up as a 'blank page' icon. I've just finished compiling Amarok from scratch and the icons are still missing.

Has anyone had the same problem? Maybe I need to delete something in ~/.kde? This has been going on for a few months now, so any help would be appreciated.
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.

Last edited by nahpets on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know if it is the same problem, but sometimes my icons in the start menu are missing.
I than run
Code:
kbuildsycoca --noincremental
and all icons are back.

Maybe this can help you too.

regards
blubbi
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that already earlier today. It worked for some of the icons, but not all. Amarok is still completely messed up. Here's what I get when I run "strace amarok":
Code:

$ strace amarok > strace.log 2>&1
$ grep icon strace.log
open("/home/stephan/.icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/stephan/.icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/stephan/.icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/stephan/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/share/icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

I don't know why it seems to be lokoing for ComixCursors because I don't even have them installed anymore.
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after doing a little digging, I found that when you use any icon theme, the fallback theme is "hicolor". So when your current icon theme is missing an icon, it uses whatever it finds in "hicolor".

So, what I noticed as that I had 2 hicolor directories on my machine, namely, "/usr/share/icons/hicolor" and "/usr/kde/3.5/share/icons". I used the following commands to count the number of png files in each directory:
Code:

$ find . -name "*.png" | wc -l

I found that the contents of each directory were different. So I guessed that the problem *should* go away if I copied one "hicolor" directory into the other like so:
Code:

# cd /usr/share/icons
# cp -r --parents hicolor /usr/kde/3.5/share
# rm -rf hicolor
# ln -s /usr/kde/3.5/share/hicolor

I then ran "kbuildsyscoca --noincremental". logged out. logged in, and all my icons are back. I remember taht a while back, the default icons directory changed to "/usr/share/icons" as per freedesktop guidelines, but it seems that the changeover wasn't handled properly by the latest KDE version in portage. I hope this little hack helps someone out, this has been annoying me for quite some time.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the Crystal Project icons, and they mostly work except that some of the hicolor icons (which are the fallback if an icon is missing) are used instead of the crystal ones. For example, Kopete, Kmix and Kompose are all using the default system icons. What's even stranger is that when I press "Alt-F2" and type "Kopete", the crystal icon is shown above the "command" label, but in the system tray, the hicolor icon is used... Can anyone help me resolve these icon issues?
Offler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really weird the ktorrent icon is there I can see it in Firefox when I open it I can see other png icons but it just wont accept the ktorrent icon as the icon for the ktorrent panel link. I'm baffled!
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably ran into this bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=234916

Solution (worked for me):
Downgrading to media-libs/libpng-1.2.27
Hth, Marcus
Offler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to just remerge kde as I was sick and tired of no icons but when I tried:

Code:
#  emerge -pv kde

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeedu-3.5.9  USE="-arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kig-scripting -solver -xinerama" 29,468 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdetoys-3.5.9  USE="-arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" 3,196 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdewebdev-3.5.9  USE="-arts -debug -doc -kdeenablefinal -tidy -xinerama" 6,101 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/fribidi-0.10.9  607 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-fs/sysfsutils-2.1.0  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-misc/read-edid-1.4.1-r1  76 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-crypt/gpgme-1.1.6  USE="-pth" 939 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-pda/libopensync-0.36  USE="python -debug -doc" 860 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-dialup/ppp-2.4.4-r20  USE="gtk ipv6 pam -activefilter -atm -dhcp -eap-tls -mppe-mppc -radius -wins-ack" 723 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/Net-SSLeay-1.35  130 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/xinetd-2.3.14  USE="perl tcpd" 295 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/akode-2.0.2  USE="alsa flac mp3 vorbis -jack -oss -speex" 462 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/libao-0.8.8  USE="alsa -arts -doc -esd -mmap -nas -pulseaudio" 397 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/lm_sensors-2.10.7  USE="-sensord" 913 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-misc/netkit-talk-0.17-r4  USE="ipv6" 37 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/IO-Socket-SSL-1.13  52 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.2.0-r1  USE="flac nls ogg123 -speex" 1,052 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4  USE="cups hal lm_sensors opengl pam xcomposite -arts -branding -debug -ieee1394 -java -joystick -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -ldap -logitech-mouse -openexr -samba -xinerama -xscreensaver" 39 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdegames-3.5.9  USE="-arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" 10,530 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdepim-3.5.9-r2  USE="-arts -debug -gnokii -kdeenablefinal -pda -xinerama" 14,290 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeartwork-3.5.9  USE="opengl -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -xinerama -xscreensaver" 16,227 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeutils-3.5.9-r1  USE="crypt -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility (-pbbuttonsd) -snmp -xinerama -xscreensaver" 2,993 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeadmin-3.5.9  USE="-arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" 2,075 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdegraphics-3.5.9  USE="opengl -arts -debug -gphoto2 -imlib -kdeenablefinal -openexr -pdf -povray -scanner -tetex -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdenetwork-3.5.9  USE="ssl wifi -arts -debug -jingle -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -rdesktop -sametime -slp -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.9  USE="alsa encode flac mp3 theora vorbis -akode -arts -audiofile -debug -gstreamer -kdeenablefinal -xine -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeaddons-3.5.9  USE="berkdb -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -sdl -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-3.5.9  USE="-accessibility" 0 kB
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kpdf:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdegraphics-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kview:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdegraphics-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdialog-3.5.9-r1, kde-base/konsole-3.5.9, kde-base/kfind-3.5.9, kde-base/kcheckpass-3.5.9, kde-base/kmenuedit-3.5.9, kde-base/kreadconfig-3.5.9, kde-base/kate-3.5.9, kde-base/ksmserver-3.5.9, kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.9, kde-base/ksplashml-3.5.9, kde-base/kdeprint-3.5.9, kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.9, kde-base/kdepasswd-3.5.9, kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.9, kde-base/kdesu-3.5.9, kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.9-r1, kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.9, kde-base/libkonq-3.5.9, kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.9, kde-base/kpersonalizer-3.5.9, kde-base/konqueror-3.5.9, kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.9, kde-base/kicker-3.5.9, kde-base/kwin-3.5.9-r1, kde-base/kdm-3.5.9, kde-base/kcminit-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/ksplashml:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdeaddons-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kicker-applets-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kpersonalizer:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/libkonq:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kcminit:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdeprint:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kcheckpass:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kmenuedit:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kcontrol:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdebase-data:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/konqueror:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kmix-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdesu:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kicker:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/ksmserver:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kate:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/khotkeys:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kwin:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kicker-applets:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdeaddons-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdialog:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kghostview:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdegraphics-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kfind:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdepasswd:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdenetwork-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kopete-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/konsole:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/khelpcenter:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kmix:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdm:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdegraphics-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kview-3.5.9, kde-base/kpdf-3.5.9, kde-base/kghostview-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kopete:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdenetwork-3.5.9)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kdesktop:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kreadconfig:3.5 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4)

Total: 28 packages (28 new), Size of downloads: 91,451 kB
Conflict: 37 blocks (37 unsatisfied)

Well it seems I don't have KDE installed at all! Well that's a relief, my icon problem has been solved.

This is the 4th block problem I've had in a day now! Is someone actually sabotaging portage? I really am amazed at portage's recent behaviour :?
Offler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martux that seems to have fixed the icons displaying/not-displaying. Now of course all I have to figure out is why portage thinks KDE is not installed :( Oh well I think I'll leave that for another day - or until KDE 4.1 is ready to be emerged :)
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Glad i could help. As for the blocker, i just can guess: Maybe a lot entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask? I also have to fight with blockers more often lately. Guess that' s just transistion pain to portage-2.2...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: