CUPS, HPLIP: top margin too large
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingLeonidas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: CUPS, HPLIP: top margin too large Reply with quote

When I print PDF documents, whether I use KPDF or acroread, there is aproximately 0.5 inches of extra margins on the top. I know what the document should look like because I've printed the same document off of Windows and Mac OS X, as well as seen it professionally printed (its the 1040EZ). Acroread sets the top margin even lower (I printed using the "fit to printer margins" setting, and none of the other settings are any better) than KPDF. All the settings are at their defaults, that is to say I havn't changed them.

The printer is a HP PSC 1210. I am using HPLIP, although I have tried uninstalling it and using a downloaded PPD from linuxprinting.org, as well as some other configurations to no avail. Anyone dealt with this before?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's going through kdeprint, it could be the enscript settings. Check /etc/enscript.cfg. If this isn't set, give it a try:
Code:

# Default output media.
DefaultMedia: Letterdj

KingLeonidas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yep, I figured it out right before I read your reply. :) Thanks for the tip. So appearently letter IS NOT the same as A4. Why can't the rest of the world just be like US? Acroread had selected letter as the format, but when I changed it to A4 then back to letter, it added an -o option to lpr that seemed to do the trick. Is there any way to make HPLIP make letter size the default? It only allows A4 and other ISOs right now.
KingLeonidas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but I think the main moral of the story is the lpoptions command. I uninstalled hplip because I could not figure out a way to stop it from listening on my network interface. Then I got it all up and running again, but the margins problem came back! All the settings I could find said "Letter" as the default, but they still weren't coming out right. But acroread lead the way, and the -o PageSize=Letter was kind of a giveaway. So I tried outputing to PS using kpdf's preview, and it looked fine. So i saved the PS file, and did a manual /usr/bin/lpr -P HP_psc_1200_series_USB_1 -o PageSize=Letter kpdfak07Pb.ps and voila! It worked! So I just did
Code:
lpoptions -p HP_psc_1200_series_USB_1 -o PageSize=Letter

as root, and both KPDF and AcroRead work great! 8)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be configurable through CUPS, but might be hplip has a bug or doesn't pay attention to that. Which, actually, is a bug too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: