VIM slow to open
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
userundefine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: VIM slow to open Reply with quote

userundefine@nomadsland:~$ time vim test
real 0m8.348s
user 0m0.056s
sys 0m0.016s

I've removed my .viminfo and .vimrc to no avail. Still very slow to open, but not to function once it is open. Not sure how to fix this...
pi-rho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 - What's "test" -- is it a big file?

#2 - try :scriptnames ... it shows every script sourced by vim on startup, in the order they were processed... any one of those (or the sheer number of them) could be the culprit)

#3 - did you build it with X support? There is a known issue with vim built with X clipboard support running without X ... vim tries to "talk" the the X server before it gives you control of the UI

:version then look for +xterm_clipboard in the Features block to determine if this is the case

If it has the X goodies compiled in, and you don't have X running, start vim like this:

vim -X test

(:help -X)
userundefine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 "test" was simply a new file, didn't exist before. Took 8 seconds to open a new file.

+xterm_clipboard was there, thanks for that info. For some reason, though, it's starting quicker now even not having used the -X switch. Can't really explain it, maybe that magical reboot stuff.

Now it's:

real 0m2.100s
user 0m0.064s
sys 0m0.020s

I'll keep your advice in mind if this problem comes back in the future, though. So much I don't know about vim!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: