Mesa 7.0 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enzobelmont
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Mesa 7.0 released Reply with quote

http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes-7.0.html

can anybody explain me the advantages of this release??

my GPU is radeon xpress 200M (laptop) and I love "comp-fusion" :P

will it benefit me if I'm using fglrx driver?

will you advise me to change to r300 free driver?

thanks in advance and sorry my english... :P
gami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mesa 7.0 released Reply with quote

enzobelmont wrote:
http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes-7.0.html

can anybody explain me the advantages of this release??

The big feature of this release is support for the OpenGL 2.1 specification, making more advanced functionality such as GLSL (shading language) available. However, this requires that the same level of support is available in both the client application and the X server. The latest xorg-server version (1.3.0.0) still requires mesa 6.5.2 to build. You can run a newer library with your clients but won't get the benefits yet.

Quote:

my GPU is radeon xpress 200M (laptop) and I love "comp-fusion" :P

3D DRI acceleration is not supported on the Xpress 200M. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_Xpress_200M.

Quote:

will it benefit me if I'm using fglrx driver?

With the Xpress 200M probably not. To get accelerated 3D rendering you will have to use the fglrx driver for now. This includes using the ati libGL*.so shared libraries linked to client programs.

Quote:

will you advise me to change to r300 free driver?

With an Xpress 200M currently not, if you want 3D. If 2D is sufficient or with other r3xx based cards (non IGP) there are advantages and disadvantages. For raw speed the proprietary drivers still have an edge. For compatibility with new kernels and AIGLX/compiz the xorg drivers win. It's your call :)
thedopefishlives
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, with the Xpress 200M and the latest __development__ radeon driver, it's possible to get barely functional 3D acceleration with Mesa 7.0. That's the setup I'm using, anyway, though I don't expect to be able to run any games yet. It still fails some of the 3D functionality checks, but at least glxgears runs correctly and some 3D apps do work. I'm still trying to get it so that my 32-bit emulation libraries have Mesa 7.0 to test it more thoroughly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: