Installing Gentoo 2007.0 with SAS LSI Logic 1064e controller
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo 2007.0 with SAS LSI Logic 1064e controller Reply with quote

I have a machine with an Intel S5000 PSL motherboard. It has a built-in SAS controller, which is reported via lspci as:

Code:
LSI Logic/Symbios Logic M1064E Megaraid SAS

Googling this doesn't show much, but I've also found from Intel's website that they have drivers for Red Hat/SuSe and nothing else. I've checked the kernel on one of my machines at work, and found that the 1064E is supported through the Fusion MPT SAS option in Device Drivers when compiling the kernel.

This compiles a module called fusion_sas, which I've checked when booting the minimal x86 installation CD, and it doesn't exist. There is a megaraid_sas module but as of now, I'm pretty sure this won't let me access the controller, although will try later.

Has anyone installed Gentoo on the above motherboard, or using the same controller? I'm wondering if I should boot the Red Hat CD and activate the driver, and see if I can change the CD and install Gentoo this way, but I'm perhaps thinking this might not work as I've usually found it hard to eject Live CD's and disks this way.

Any ideas appreciated, I'd hate to have to use something else on this machine.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do the install, then build a new kernel with the module enabled. Of course, if you need the driver for the install, that's a different story.
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the problem, I need it for the install. I'm trying to figure out how, since the 2007.0 CD doesn't have the fusion_sas module, which seems to be what I need to get it going.

At present, when I boot, I cannot see any disk. I've yet to try modprobing the megaraid_sas to see if this gives me access to the disk of which of course I'll try first.

My other idea was that if the fusion_sas module isn't there, that I need to find a LiveCD or something that does have this, then switch the disks or even just get it to the point of having internet access, and then pulling down the stage3 and portage files and completing the install using a completely different LiveCD.
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did have a go at this.

First, the controller requires the megasr module that you can get for Red Hat from Intel's website. My idea was to first boot into rescue mode, and then continue the Gentoo install from this point, which worked to a point.

Theoretically, the fusion_sas module which is found under the MPT support should work for this card, but it doesn't. I attempted to use this, as well as the megaraid_sas as well.

I tried doing the same as what you should do for a kernel update for this megasr.ko module, which is to copy it to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates (make this directory if it doesn't exist) and then followed with:

Code:
depmod -a
initrd whatever.img kernel_version

this works in CentOS, but wouldn't work for Gentoo. At least, I did the depmod -a and tried to modprobe the module, but it failed inserting it into the kernel. I've no way of compiling or sourcing a patch for the kernel, as I've tried, and it seems one doesn't exist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: