Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
does the latest i810/i915 driver work properly?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: does the latest i810/i915 driver work properly? Reply with quote

i'm used to my laptop (which uses xorg's i810 driver...i915 in the kernel) launching X smoothly. now however, with a new, up-to-date gentoo 2007.0 ~x86 system, it staggers into action: it looks as though it tries to do something, fails, and then tries something else.

by this i mean the screen appears to cycle through a number of different modes before arriving at the right one. previously (with other distros) it has always gone straight to the correct mode. i'm used to launching the 915resolution utility myself (to set the 1366x768 mode i require) before launching X, but gentoo (or the latest xorg, i'm not sure which) appears not to require it. in any case, i tried emerging 915resolution and running it as i always have, but it made no difference: X still flickers and mucks about before launching.

once X is up, everything is fine...(well...compiz-start loses my icons and is generally unstable, but i'll sort that out later)...glxinfo reports direct rendering and so on. i can post my Xorg.log if someone wants to see it, but for now i'm just curious as to whether anyone else has had this problem, or if X starts smoothly for others with the i915. i see a bug in gentoo's bugzilla re the latest i810 driver and external monitors...it's not the same issue, but perhaps the latest driver is simply not as good as the old one?

i'm interested to hear from anyone who uses the i810/i915 combination, successfully or not. i know the flickering is not really a big deal, but it annoys me, especially since i haven't had it on other systems. if nobody responds i guess i'll leave everything else as-is and build an old version of the i810 driver manually.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine. It could be the new modesetting feature of the driver, which might be why it appears to be cycling through modes. Then again, maybe not. You can try adding this option to the device section of xorg.conf, if you want the old-style driver, and it doesn't need a recompile:
Code:

Option "Legacy3D" "true"

If that's not it, it's likely to be some other xorg option. /var/log/Xorg.0.log will give good idea of what it's doing during startup, so you may as well post it. Personally, I'd just live with it. It clearly works. Unless this is causing a noticeable delay in the X launch time, I don't really see why it matters. There's no reason to assume flickering == driver is worse.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help. adding
Code:
Option "Legacy3D" "true"
was relevant: it made the problem even worse! it was useful though because diffing Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old pointed to some issues i'm checking out now. also i wondered where the heck you got that option from, and so discovered the i810 manual on the xorg site, and now have more options to test.

didymos wrote:
Unless this is causing a noticeable delay in the X launch time, I don't really see why it matters.
that's exactly what it's doing, which is why it matters to me. if it were just a flicker i could live with it, but the delay pisses me off, even though it's only for a second or two.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: