View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranger719
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Kde annoyance while opening a file [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a little problem with KDE. First, I will explain my setup. My workstation runs KDE and mounts a share via samba (cifs). The share is located on a server in my LAN. This server has an USB-drive which is shared over the samba-share. The USB-drive spins down after a defined time of inactivity.
Now the problem: Everytime I open a textfile in kate, kedit or I open a movie-file in kaffeine which is located on my workstations internal drive my whole systems hangs because the program (kate, kaffeine and so on) accesses some old files (history) on my "USB-drive-share". The disks wakes up, which takes a few secs, and then my system is usable again. I don't have a big problem with the system hanging while waiting for data form the USB-drive, but I have a problem with all my KDE-applications trying to read something from files which are somewhere in a history-list. Can I disable this "feature"? Is this a bug? I guess it is for my setup ;)

Any ideas? Should I post this at the kde-forums? Is there a switch which I do not find? Is this the right forum? I think 'Multimedia' is not the right place.

Thank you.

Last edited by ranger719 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger719 wrote:
Should I post this at the kde-forums?
It might help you find a solution faster, though if you do find a solution there please either link to it or describe it here.
ranger719 wrote:
Is there a switch which I do not find?
Not that I know of.
ranger719 wrote:
Is this the right forum?
It is now.
ranger719 wrote:
I think 'Multimedia' is not the right place.
I agree.

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
ranger719
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same question on the kde forums.. But no reply yet..
I now have a workaround for this problem. At least for kaffeine. I just made /home/user/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc readonly and deleted all the recent opened entries. This works, but now kaffeine prompts at every startup that the config-file is readonly. That's okay for me, after logging in kaffeine resides in my taskbar. So it alerts me only once after the login.
ranger719
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chattr +a ~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc does the job (better than read-only). As long as I cannot configure the "Recent-Files-Behavior" for KDE-Apps thats my way to go. chattr +i also works, but kaffeine still alerts on startup that it cannot write the config-file.
ranger719
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a solution. The german computer-magazine c't had an article how to configure KDE/Gnome in Edition 5/2008.

You can set a flag in the global config-file for a KDE-application for each attribute to make it immutable. It is [$i]. Unfortunatly, not all programs have a shared global config, but you can create them.

I did this: "joe /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kaffeinerc" and put this in the file:
Code:

[Recent Files][$i]

If this is set, users cannot change this attribute anymore. Everytime I start kaffeine, my recent-files are empty :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: