View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Goodbye Gentoo Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I love Gentoo, it is fast, configurable, flexible and bleeding edge in so many ways. However, Weird things just keep happening. Not just the weird, X wont start or Gnome has wierd fonts, types. I am talking about the "libc++ is missing so nothing will run or /dev/ <everything> is gone" so you have to reinstall. The last straw was the libc++ one. All I did was "emerge mplayer" well that locked everything up, nothing to do but reboot. When I came back GDM would not start, "libc++ missing" . I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for that but .... I miss USING my computer. I think Gentoo has TONS of potential. I will say Gentoo is bar none the fastest Distro I have ever used but until I have an extra computer with which to install Gentoo, I will have to go with a pre-rolled distro. I hope to someday return to Gentoo as I can honestly say I have learned more about LINUX in the last 3 months than I have in the last 4 years just by trying Gentoo. Good luck Gentoo and to all who use it.. Thanks to everyone in the forums who always had a quick and usually right on the money answer. Bye for now.....
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had quite the opposite experience. Other distros *cough* Debian *cough* or Debian derived did weird things. Red Hat did weird things, and so on. I'm wondering if you're giving up on Linux or just going to a diff distro...

Well sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Best of luck to you with whatever you do in the future!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Gentoo Chat since it is not a support issue.
(moved from Installing Gentoo)

Erik
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats with all these crying for attention posts?

Boo hoo, I'm leaving Gentoo! Please pay me attention, and maybe I'll reconsider!!!!~~!@#$!..

Who cares. If you don't like Gentoo, don't use it. Nobody needs to know that you're leaving. Most of us probably didn't know you were here in the first place. (I'm not just referring to the parent poster - all of the similar threads like this one)
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libc++ missing? Perhaps this was some kind of filesystem corruption? I don't know, it doesn't sound like it could be something distro specific with a distribution like Gentoo. I don't know, I had some weird problems with Mandrake, and I've heard of other people having bizarre problems with Slackware(which as far as I know is a pretty customizable source distribution as well), and those people decided to switch to distros like Redhat and Mandrake. To me, you are on better footing if you know more about what is going on with system, to be able to figure out what went wrong and fix it(instead of giving up on the distribution and trying the next one) if something does go wrong. I had problems with Mandrake, but I didn't switch because I was running from my problems, I encountered the Gentoo website and forums which was actually very helpful, just by reading, at helping me fix some of my problems in Mandrake, and I came to realize I would like to know more about my system, and have a system more closely tied to this community, better able to benefit from it and contribute(Mandrake was worthless for that, IMHO, you couldn't do much without subscribing to a service of some kind if my memory serves me correctly).
The Congress shall have power...To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries; --U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 8.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, check your hardware. It sounds like your computer might be dying. Dots on the screen often means a bad vid card (using ati by any chance). If the com crashes during an emerge i can see how bad suff happens. It sounds like you're overheating. If you have a good case, add fans, if you have a shitty one, add fans and pull the side panels off. Works for me. Also, are you using a journeling fs (just about anything but ext2)? If not, you're asking for trouble, especially with possibley unstable hardware.
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a post saying that most of people's problems can be fixed with a combination of "env-update; emerge sync; ldconfig;" or something (the original list was longer and in a different order)... it was on gentoo-dev, I think.
M104
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
dude, check your hardware. It sounds like your computer might be dying. Dots on the screen often means a bad vid card (using ati by any chance). If the com crashes during an emerge i can see how bad suff happens. It sounds like you're overheating. If you have a good case, add fans, if you have a shitty one, add fans and pull the side panels off. Works for me. Also, are you using a journeling fs (just about anything but ext2)? If not, you're asking for trouble, especially with possibley unstable hardware.

Agreed, check your hardware! When my computer borked up that bad, it was the hard drive. *cough* IBM *cough*
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughtyus wrote:

Boo hoo, I'm leaving Gentoo! Please pay me attention, and maybe I'll reconsider!!!!~~!@#$!..

Who cares. If you don't like Gentoo, don't use it. Nobody needs to know that you're leaving. Most of us probably didn't know you were here in the first place. (I'm not just referring to the parent poster - all of the similar threads like this one)

Im with you on this one! If you have a problem keep searching, trying and asking. These goodbye Gentoo posts are really un-necessary. That's my opinion :)
FLUG member 473
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughtyus wrote:

Hehehe! That was funny! [sarcasm] Boo hoo!! I'm the self righteous guy who's crying about people crying for attention!! [/sarcasm]
No offense man, I enjoyed your post.
Xiderpunk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahellma wrote:
Naughtyus wrote:

Im with you on this one! If you have a problem keep searching, trying and asking. These goodbye Gentoo posts are really un-necessary. That's my opinion :)

If you don't like these kind of posts it's simple... DON'T read them!

Personally speaking I am interested to hear why people leave, this is helpful in many ways, not least to learn where improvements can be made, either with gentoo itself or documentation, forum support etc. If gentoo is losing people then isn't it better to find out why, than ignore the issues raised?
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you figured out the reason for the Gentoo Chat forum yet? Alright, I'll be happy to enlighten you: Gentoo Chat is kind of off-topic, but still about Gentoo... That means irrelevant and unnecessaaty posts do occur. Simple solution: Ignore them - they don't degrade the quality of the (excellent!) Gentoo Forums, as long as we have our beloved moderators to move them around...

Well, back on topic: Yes, I would also say that it really sounds like your hardware is about to retire. Or it might just not like Gentoo, what do I know... ;-)

- Simon
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wasnt crying for attention. I was just saying that I've met alot of really cool and very smart people here in the Gentoo forums and I will miss the feeling of community. As for my hardware being the problem, I have 6 fans in my case, and Mandrake seems to work fine. I dunno about the hard drive. It is pretty old. I guess I will muddle along with Mandrake for now. Maybe when I upgrade my hardware to better quality stuff (I do have kind of an econo box) I will try gentoo again.

-later
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record, compiling exposes a lot of hard drive problems that normal use doesn't.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starnix wrote:
Well I wasnt crying for attention. I was just saying that I've met alot of really cool and very smart people here in the Gentoo forums and I will miss the feeling of community.

...and no matter how hard you try, you're going to keep coming back just for that. and portage....

there were a few times i had considered giving up gentoo for something a bit more brainless, but i just can't do it. it's too awesome. i found that taking a break from it for a few weeks is just as affective.

good luck!

ryan
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays I get goose bumps when booting into Windows. There's a creepy feeling running down my spine that something's terribly wrong.

I don't feel at home there anymore... at all :wink:
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Levi* wrote:
Nowadays I get goose bumps when booting into Windows. There's a creepy feeling running down my spine that something's terribly wrong.

Really? You get that too? Actually my eyes burn as though someone poured salt into them. And this is when I look at XP with it's font AA! I'm getting too use to those sexy Vera fonts! Any way to get them for Windows?
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: IT'S YOUR FAULT Reply with quote

Hello Gents,

Have you tried reinstalling Gentoo? I reinstalled Gentoo seven times before I began to understand its workings. I later realized that the problems I encountered with Gentoo were my fault (careless mistakes, not reading the documentations meticulously enough, overlooking key procedures etc). After the seventh installations I had learnt Gentoo and Linux the hard way.

Now I actually know what I'm doing, why I am doing it and I think before doing it. It's one thing to follow instructions, it's another to know why the instructions should being followed. When ever something goes wrong, have the mentality that you did something wrong or you made a mistake somewhere. Don't have the mentality that Gentoo is doing something wrong because it just doesn't like you or your hardware.

How come Gentoo works fine all our systems but yours? There's a food for thought for you.

"My logic is undeniable."
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Mystilleef... that's not a good way to earn those square dots :P ;)
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
*Levi* wrote:

Really? You get that too? Actually my eyes burn as though someone poured salt into them. And this is when I look at XP with it's font AA! I'm getting too use to those sexy Vera fonts! Any way to get them for Windows?

hehe - that makes 3 of us - w:wink::wink:f!
tj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After the seventh installations I had learnt Gentoo and Linux the hard way.

I feel humbled :wink:
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY S***!!! My HD did just take a dump. I was rebooting mandrake when it just locked up. I heard the HD actually power down. I rebooted, this time it didnt get quite as far, again the HD powered down with a "Click". Guess you were right. I am assuming that the reason I was able to run any distro for a few days was that when I formatted, it marked all the bad sectors to no t be used but after a few days new sectors went bad. I just wanna give a heartfelt apology to the Gentoo Developers. I knew you had a great distro, just couldnt figure out why it kept screwing up. Guess now I know.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj wrote:
Quote:
After the seventh installations I had learnt Gentoo and Linux the hard way.

I feel humbled :wink:

I don't. I learned Linux the really hard way...

Linux From Scratch

After that, Gentoo seems unbelievably easy!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: