THE MOST UBER NOOB QUESTION EVER, Take A Look Anyway Though
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolenfalas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: THE MOST UBER NOOB QUESTION EVER, Take A Look Anyway Though Reply with quote

OK, is it just me OR shouldnt good video drivers for Xbox Linux exist?????? I have looked EVERYWHERE and I cant find any decent Nvidia drivers for gentoo on Xbox. I have Gentoo running fine on my Xbox, Just no drivers! I can boot into X and everything else, I even have WineX working and stuff. But when I went to install and run WC3 it wouldnt work because the Video drivers Sux0red. I found the nforce linux drivers that someone said "should" work on the xbox, but the official nvidia site only has RedHat kernel modules. It says that if im running a different distro that I need to build my own kernel modules, how in sam hill do I do that???? O well, If anybody has any ideas PLEASE let me know, it actually is starting to bug me that something like this isnt such a big issue, and I cant for a second believe that NOBODY else has tried to play a 3D accelerated game in linux on their xbox, or maybe I am special :)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really call this a noob question at all :)

I can't help you since:
a) Don't have an Xbox
b) Not going to buy one

But, when that is said, I suspect that what Nvidia means is that you have to use the Xwin supplied nvidia drivers as I don't think Nvidia supplies their own driver in source code.

Why can't you use the rpm of the driver?

Erik
Korean Ian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to

emerge nvidia-glx
emerge nvidia-kernel

?

The xbox is a special situation... BTW how well does it run? How hard was it to setup? How big is the hd?

KI
Dolenfalas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs GREAT, I have only a 40gb HD in it now, but im gunna get a 120 soon. I am REALLY new to linux and my friend has been helping me get it all setup. I can ask him about that code you posted, doesnt that just download the newest nvidia drivers from the web and install them? O well, since I havent tried it, maybe it will work :). I have gotten the GLX gears benchmarking thing to run (maybe thats what that is?) but the reason im still looking for drivers is that those drivers only got like 300fps on the ghetto 2D Gears thing, from what my friend said it should be getting a could thousand FPS's. Maybe we can get an Uber XboxLinux buff to post, and I can stop whining :) Thanks for the help guys, im gunna crashx0r (midnight).
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, Dolenfalas, the creator of GentooX, ShallaX, resides on this forum, perhaps he can get your question answered. AFAIK, however, there are no nvidia drivers for the xbox with 3d acceleration support just yet. And if you need any more help.. well, you should know how to contact me. :wink:
ShALLaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, no 3d accelerated drivers. If you wanna reverse engineer the official nVidia ones, then make a cleanroom version, be my guest ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: