View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weeroona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: question about memory usage of X Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been using gentoo for a few years but don't necessarily have a good grasp of unix. I have a question that isn't really a problem but would appreciate your insight...

I have a dell laptop, 1.8ghz pentium M, 1.25gb ram. it runs well. I like a responsive window manager and recently moved to fvwm from gnome. it is started by gdm. I'm happy with the interface, fvwm-crystal. I turned all the transparencies off in the config to ease memory usage, but X still uses large amounts of memory.
Code:

jeff@localhost ~ $ ps aux |grep X
root     16208  1.3 24.7 324180 316440 tty7    Ss+  Jul04  61:39 /usr/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

Is it normal for X to use 300mb of memory? am I perhaps misunderstanding this? I thought fvwm was supposed to be light-weight or lighter than Gnome or KDE. Is X just using the memory because it is available?
This is a minor issue but something I've been noticing for a few months.
Thanks!
-Jeff
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not going to be able to answer your question but i am wondering about this myself for a long time.

in my own question thread i got a rather cryptic answer, that the memory of the video card is mapped to X' address space, so depending on how much memory your cards has, you already start with maybe 128 MB used.
the second answer was, that X holds pixmaps from other programs in memory (firefox is notorious to use a lot)

the reason to post this question was, that at that day X used 800MB after 14 hours of uptime ... to give you an comparison. im now at 300MB after 28 hours update too.
weeroona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Since the intel graphics chip doesn't have it's own memory, it uses 128mb of the ram.
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: