GRUB issue booting XP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: GRUB issue booting XP Reply with quote

Hello-

I am using grub 0.97-r3. When I try to boot my XP install from GRUB, I get a message saying
"The following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please install another copy of this file"

I've read a lot of posts about this error, so please pay attention to this part, it will save a lot of keystrokes - If I uninstall GRUB, XP boots just like it ought to, and works as expected. The file is NOT corrupted, nor is any other file that I can see.
Also, this setup has worked for about 2 months, and then just stopped.

Here's my setup:
MSI 975x Platinum PowerUp Edition (Intel 975 express chipset)
/dev/sda1 - Windows install (marked as bootable)
/dev/sdb1 - /boot
/dev/sdb2 - /
/dev/sda3 - swap
(other data drives)
There are no PATA IDE drives in the system. PATA IDE controller is disabled.

I'm not using RAID. The ICH7 controller supports IDE, RAID, and AHCI modes. I'm using IDE. AHCI does not correct the problem.

I installed grub with the following commands:
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd0)

My grub.conf looks like this:
default 0
timeout 20

title=Gentoo Linux (2.6.21-suspend2-r6)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-suspend2-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 real_root=/dev/sdb2 init=/linuxrc splash=silent vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31B vmalloc=768m CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-suspend2-r6

title=Linux 2.6.21-gentoo-r3
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sdb2 real_root=/dev/sdb2 init=/linuxrc splash=silent vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31B vmalloc=768m CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-gentoo-r3

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I've also tried:
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Further, from the XP "Recovery" console, I have tried fixboot, chkdsk /r (filesystem undamaged), and bootcfg /rebuild.
fixmbr puts me back in business every time. Just for grins, I went through the recovery of ntdectect, ntldr, and ntoskrnl, none of which helped at all.

It appears to me that grub is not marking the partition as active or bootable anymore. Also possible is that the drive becomes mis-ordered on a grub boot and can't be found.
Please help. Running very low on things to try.

Thanks
-Chris
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is vice versa

Code:
sda1 -> boot
sda2 -> swap
sda3 -> root

sdb1 -> WindowsXP

grub is installed in the MBR of sda

I use the following grub.conf to boot WinXP:

Code:
title=Windows XP Pro
map (hd0) (hd1) # Tell the first hard drive to pretend to be the second
map (hd1) (hd0) # Tell the second hard drive to pretend to be the first
root (hd1,0) # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
makeactive # Sets the partition to active
chainloader +1 # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done

Hope this helps
regards
blubbi

Last edited by blubbi on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MM Trigger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember at one time I had a similar problem, where GRUB wouldn't boot OSs properly. It ended up being that the 1st partition on the drive was larger than 137GB. Resizing it to something slightly smaller and reinstalling GRUB from the LiveCD fixed the problem.
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Blubbi-
If I can't find another solution, your method is what I was going to move to. I didn't want to get into all the spots where I have to change sda to sdb in various conf files, but maybe it can't be avoided.

MM Trigger-
I use 2 80GB drives for OS's for just this reason (call me old school), but thanks for the idea.

Something wacky is happening. I only use Windows for video games, so it hasn't been a critically important issue, but there has to be some way to fix it.
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to change anything....just your grub.conf.

and adjust my example to fitt your setup.

Thats all.
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now, that's not exactly right. There's /etc/fstab for one (not a big deal), and some appications I have installed use dev names in their setup as well (again, not a crisis, just inconvenient. A sed script would take care of most of it, really). It may be worthwhile to try this out just to see if I can just boot XP this way. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. I guess since the problem came from nowhere, I'm really hoping for a non case opening solution. Maybe that does not exist for this problem.
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont't really know what I am talking about...

The mapping has nothing to do with your physical drive names.

Just use my example, not my configuration. You can keep your physical setup. Just use my grub.conf end modifiy it to fit your physical layout.

But do what you want to do.

regards blubbi
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I guess I don't really understand what you are saying. Could you clarify?

grub is installed in the MBA of /dev/sda, which is my Windows drive.

You have some mapping paramenters so that Windows does not have to be installed on the first drive. I should not need those because Windows IS installed on the first drive in my box. My mapping would look like this:
map (hd0) (hd0)

Do I have the wrong concept here? Like I mentioned above, I thought that the map statement worked around a Windows issue (e.g., if you uninstall grub, your machine won't boot any OS without moving the drive to port0).

Otherwise, your Windows section of grub.conf is already the same as mine. I originally thought you were suggesting that I change the hardware layout so that using the map options would make sense. Maybe that option does more than I am aware of.

Thanks for your time.
-Chris
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man... I am so sory! Actually it was me who was not understanding your problem. After I read the post today, I realized that your Windows was on the first disk....

If you leave the XP bootloader in the MBR and write grub in the MBR of the second drive then tell your bios to boot from the second drive, maybe grub is than able to boot XP from the first drive. Just a guess.

sry man for being rough the posts above.

regards
blubbi
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. :) I'm actually leaning toward a BIOS problem at this time. I had to upgrade the BIOS on this machine for a particular USB keyboard that I have. Maybe I haven't actually run Windows since doing that.
Your idea sounds good, and I haven't tried that yet. Will try it out later today, and post results.

Thanks
-Chris
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should install grub to the mbr of the linux disk, also The Windows drive has to be second or this setup wont work, and you also have to map each drive against each other in the windows config to trick the windows bootloader. Is your /boot marked bootable?

Here is an example of what I mean
Code:

title=Windows 2000 Pro
map (hd0) (hd1) # Tell the first hard drive to pretend to be the second
map (hd1) (hd0) # Tell the second hard drive to pretend to be the first
root (hd1,0) # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
makeactive # Sets the partition to active
chainloader +1 # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done

If i was unclear or you have any questions please ask.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi douglassac,
I noticed something in your grub config that IMHO is wrong.
Code:

kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-suspend2-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 real_root=/dev/sdb2 init=/linuxrc splash=silent vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31B vmalloc=768m CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sdb2 real_root=/dev/sdb2 init=/linuxrc splash=silent vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31B vmalloc=768m CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

There should be a line
Code:

root (hd1,0)

or similar between title and kernel line.
Gerard.
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the guide that everyone uses to dual boot using two disks, one per OS.
Using GRUB to Dual-Boot Windows on a Second Hard Drive
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beginning to wonder where this post will end.
Douglassac has XP on the first disk (sda1)!!
Here is my grub.conf
Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo-Linux,warm aanbevolen.
   root (hd0,2)
   kernel (hd0,2)/kernel-2.6.20-8 root=/dev/sdb1 vga=0x0F07

title=Windows-XP (Zonder internet!)
   rootnoverify (hd0,0)
   makeactive
   chainloader +1

title=Experimenteel(niet gebruiken!)
   root (hd0,4)
   kernel (hd0,4)/kernel-2.6.20-8 root=/dev/sda6 vga=0xF07   

It is similar to his setup except for the root (hdx) lines.
His problem has nothing to do with trying to boot windows from a second HD.
What is causing it,I have no idea,but it won't hurt to correct the conf by inserting the
root (hdx) lines.
Gerard.
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Douglassac has XP on the first disk (sda1)!!

Thanks. I know everyone is trying to help, and I really appreciate it. That's the same thing blubbi missed.
My main two points that people should know:

This all was working and stopped unexpectedly.

I have run this configuration on machines (Windows on first drive, Linux on 2nd) for a REALLY LONG time (although always LiLo until Gentoo). I'm only a forum newbie, not a Linux newbie. </chestpounding>

Gerard-
I added the root lines per request, although my Linux install is not at issue (am posting from the machine in question). I added the same for Windows stanza, but it did not help.

I though that perhaps things would work better if I switched to AHCI mode for the SATA controller. Like this won't be more complicated..... :?

-Went to XP recovery console, ran fixmbr, booted windows and changed drivers over (not trivial, as it turns out). Got it.
-Booted off of 2007 live CD, noticed AHCI driver makes my drives come up in a different order (switches disk1 and disk2. Overall detects ports in SATA0,SATA2,SATA1,SATA3. Goofy).
-Swapped SATA1 and SATA2 ports on mobo, rebooted from CD, created a device.map file for GRUB, reran GRUB.
Same problem. Linux boots fine, Windows can't find ntoskrnl.exe.
-Added a bogus entry on Windows for OS choice so that the Windows OS Chooser loads. I thought this would let me know if the Windows boot sector works, and the partition is somehow not being made active. Now when I select the Windows option from GRUB, I get the Windows OS Chooser, and then the ntoskrnl.exe error message.

So it seems that the problem is with the Windows partition being made active. (some GRUB master may want to check the logic there). Could this be a result of GRUB not detecting the geometry of the drive correctly when activating the partition?

Here is my device.map:
Code:

(hd0) /dev/sda    <--Windows is on this drive!
(hd2) /dev/sdb    <-- Linux is on this drive
(hd1) /dev/sdc
(hd3) /dev/sdd

Here is my grub.conf as of this morning:
Code:

default 0
timeout 20

root (hd2,0)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-suspend2-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 real_root=/dev/sdb2 init=/linuxrc splash=silent vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31B vmalloc=768m CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 resume=/dev/sdb3

root (hd2,0)

title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

My backup of grub.conf does not include lines for makeactive or rootnoverify (makeactive should not be needed for Windows to be on the boot drive).

Based on the test with the MS OS Chooser, I don't think that moving Windows to the second drive will help, but I'm willing to try about anything at this point. The down side to AHCI is that I cannot detect the disks from the XP CD anymore, and I have to make many BIOS changes to run fixmbr anymore.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Douglassac,
Well it is now up to the real guru's.
I really have no idea what could cause this.
Gerard.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-Went to XP recovery console, ran fixmbr, booted windows and changed drivers over (not trivial, as it turns out). Got it.
-Booted off of 2007 live CD, noticed AHCI driver makes my drives come up in a different order (switches disk1 and disk2. Overall detects ports in SATA0,SATA2,SATA1,SATA3. Goofy).
-Swapped SATA1 and SATA2 ports on mobo, rebooted from CD, created a device.map file for GRUB, reran GRUB.
Same problem. Linux boots fine, Windows can't find ntoskrnl.exe.
-Added a bogus entry on Windows for OS choice so that the Windows OS Chooser loads. I thought this would let me know if the Windows boot sector works, and the partition is somehow not being made active. Now when I select the Windows option from GRUB, I get the Windows OS Chooser, and then the ntoskrnl.exe error message.

If you're changing the order of the drives after setting up the windows bootloader I'm not surprised it won't boot windows anymore. You could try remapping the drives for windows in grub by adding lines like:
Code:
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader (hd1,0)+1

Maybe that should be hd2 instead of hd1. I'm not quite sure how your system maps disks to devices. It's a bit confusing to me.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglassac wrote:

Here is my device.map:
Code:

(hd0) /dev/sda    <--Windows is on this drive!
(hd2) /dev/sdb    <-- Linux is on this drive
(hd1) /dev/sdc
(hd3) /dev/sdd

Thats looks kinda wird

I would expect the following:

(hd0) /dev/sda <--Windows is on this drive!
(hd1) /dev/sdb <-- Linux is on this drive
(hd2) /dev/sdc
(hd3) /dev/sdd

If everything fails. And your we are all out of ideas. Lets track down if it is a problem of the XP bootloader.
Make an image of your WinXP install, and make a clean install, just to the point where XP boots the first time from the hard disk.
If grub can handel this new install, than there is something messed up with your old XP. If grub can't handel this new install... read back your old XP and we have to investigate a bit more on this problem...

Just a stupid Idea... remap the drives manually so hdb is hda and vice versa. and than boot XP from the pretended second drive...
Just to see if we can get rid of the wired mapping of your drives.

regards blubbi
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys did you read the guide i posted the link for? When using 2000 or XP it changes their own system partition to be the active partition any time they boot. This is why you have to use the windows drive as a slave drive and then map the drives against each other. and you are probably going to have to run a fixboot and a fixmbr on the windows drive from the windows recovery console. I have done many dual boots and triple boots like this and never have i had any luck getting them to work with the windows drive at hd0.
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I!

Bevore I knew about remapping drives. I installed W2K on the first HD so I was able to boot it without any hasel.
But I admit, this was years ago. If I remember correct. I installed grub in the mbr of hd1 and told my BIOS to use this as the primary boot device. I did this quite a long time ago, cause I couldn't get Win2K installed on the second drive without problems (wrong device names C: was D: and other wired stuff). So I decided to use the more flexible Linux to cope with an installation on the second drive, and installed WinXP on the first device.

Later I figured out, if I disconnect the prim. harddisk (primary master) and install 2K on the second drive (Primary Slave) than everything worked fine and I could reconnected the prim. master.

regrads
blubbi
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of progress report-

I have now-
-Run fixmbr for windows only booting.
-switched the boot device order in the BIOS.
-rebooted off of the Gentoo CD, reinstalled GRUB
-Linux boots fine. Same Windows issue
-Run fixmbr for windows only booting.
-switched the actual drives.
-rebooted off the Gentoo CD, reinstalled grub (both this time and the last, I added the mapping parameters in. Without them, the screen turns to color ASCII blocks when I choose Windows)
-same problem.
-Put everything back the way it was.
-Recompiled GRUB without CFLAGS (read this at the GRUB web site). Did not help. ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

I'm beginnning to feel a little like a troll here, and I don't want to argue with anyone. I have RTFM moments like everyone else; this just isn't one of them.

davascript-

Again, I don't like to argue with those trying to help, and I'm really not an ass, but your statement here:
Quote:
his is why you have to use the windows drive as a slave drive and then map the drives against each other.

is wrong. I have 2 desktops and a laptop here with me that are set up with windows on the first drive. The machine I'm having a problem with also has worked for more than 1 month just fine.
Not that that means I have to continue using this arrangement. I really don't care if Windows is the 1st or 2nd drive, as long as I can boot everything.

I only see two possible problems:

1 I've hosed the disk partition table somehow. I have some extra disks I can use to install Windows on and try again. (suggested below, and a reasonable way to proceed)

2 grub is not compiling/installing correctly. This doesn't seem very likely, but who knows.

I have another question that may apply. Would the fixboot or bootcfg command be diferent on an SP2 XP CD than an original? The Windows boot disk I have is not SP2. The files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the cab files on the disc are not the same date/size as the ones on my drive. Shouldn't those get replaced when running fixboot?

Will work on solution 1 for now.

nixnut-
I did not change SATA0 with anything, just 1 and 2. Every person contributing to this thread has suggested that I use the map parameters, and they have all misread the posts before doing so. Windows booted after swapping drives 1 and 2 (and before installing GRUB), because it is on drive 0.

SATA0- /dev/sda - Windows.
SATA1 - /dev/sdc - data 1/2 NTFS, 1/2 ext3 <-- AHCI mode swaps this drive
SATA2 - /dev/sdb - Linux <-- with this one. So I physically swapped them to keep my Linux root on the same dev name.
SATA3 - /dev/sdd - ext3 data.

blubbi-

I think this looks weird also. This controller behaves in a strange manor. AHCI mode is new for SATA 3G, and the BIOS reports the drives as Channel 3 master/slave and channel 4 master/slave. Other SATA based boards always list the SATA ports as all masters on new controllers. In AHCI mode, the detection by the BIOS seems to go master/slave/master/slave (right up the port numbers as expected), but the AHCI kernel module detects them as master/master/slave/slave, making hd2 (the third hard drive), and hd1 (the second hard drive) get swapped on boot. This appears to be becuase the AHCI mode is multichannel, which the kernel module does not properly support (no concrete evidence on that).

I would be open to debate about the working-ness of this arrangement, except that the Linux boot drive will cause the whole system to fail booting, both at the GRUB level and the OS level if the device map is wrong. Linux boots like a champ (which is what I expect from it) in every configuration I try.
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglassac wrote:
davascript-

Again, I don't like to argue with those trying to help, and I'm really not an ass, but your statement here:
Quote:
his is why you have to use the windows drive as a slave drive and then map the drives against each other.

is wrong. I have 2 desktops and a laptop here with me that are set up with windows on the first drive. The machine I'm having a problem with also has worked for more than 1 month just fine.
Not that that means I have to continue using this arrangement. I really don't care if Windows is the 1st or 2nd drive, as long as I can boot everything.

I only see two possible problems:

1 I've hosed the disk partition table somehow. I have some extra disks I can use to install Windows on and try again. (suggested below, and a reasonable way to proceed)

2 grub is not compiling/installing correctly. This doesn't seem very likely, but who knows.

I am not trying to argue with you either, itsw just that i have never had that setup working windows always bully's over grub. I do have aa couple ideas. If you have it ERD commander will allow you to run an unmounted
Code:
chkdsk /fxr
on your windows drive(this works better), if not have you tried to run this from the recovery console(this one wont unmount the drive)?
Code:
chkdsk /P

Try that because your %SYSTEM%\ntoskrnl.exe could be messed up.
Have you looked into checking your c:\boot.ini from the recovery environment as it may be pointed at the wrong drive.
Code:
bootcfg

And finally how are you installing grub via
Code:
grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sdX

or
Code:
grub --no-floppy

grub> root (hdX,X)
grub> setup (hdX)
grub> quit
douglassac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about the --no-floppy option. That will speed up future installs, as that part sometimes takes awhile.

No ERD - No floppy drive to put it on. But there is another thing I did not know, an unmounted checkdisk is possible on Windows.

Generally, I've looked over all the standard stuff, and ran some md5's of various boot files against another XP machine at my house, which all came up OK. Without a SP2 boot disc, there wasn't a way to recover the files properly from the CAB's (all boot files have been replaced since SP1).

Here's what DID work-

--SOLVED FOR NOW--

I reverted the BIOS to 7.1. Over at the MSI forum there is a lot of discussion about a conflict between the ICH7 SATA controller and the JMicron SATA controller on this board with newer BIOS revisions. I have not experienced the issues those folks are talking about, but I have had some CD funkiness on warm reboot (I have a SATA DVD drive). At any rate, here is my whole setup. Maybe someone with similar hardware can verify that they do or don't have the same issue.

MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition mobo (model 7246
Intel 975 Express chipset, ICH7 SATA controller in AHCI mode (IDE mode has same results)
JMicron JMB361 SATA controller
2 Seagate 7200.10 80 GB SATA drives attached to ICH7 ports 0 and 2 in 3Gb/s mode (boot drives)
2 Seagate 7200.10 500 GB SATA drives attached to ICH7 ports 1 and 3 in 3Gb/s mode (data drives)

Intel QX6700 QuadCore 2.66 GHz
2x1 GB Corsair XMS Dominator RAM
EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

I tested BIOS versions 7.1, 7.4, and 7.5. Did not try 7.2, there is no 7.3

Thank you all for your help! I will now start working on triple booting Vista also.
-Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: