View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damienmoody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: [NEVERMIND] detecting sil164 Reply with quote

I get this when trying startx:

Code:

(EE) intel(0): detecting sil164
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVO12C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVO12C_E Slave 236.
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI compatible

No other X errors, or even warnings (been playing with it for a while before looking for an answer for this). What should I do?

Last edited by damienmoody on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have VIDEO_CARDS="i810" in /etc/make.conf, then run `emerge --oneshot xf86-video-i810`
damienmoody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and checked for i810 in my VIDEO_CARDS and it's there, so emerged xf86-video-i810. Now I'm not getting an error, but I'm not getting anything else either... the power LED on the monitor goes from it's "on" state of green" to its "off" state of orange.

In fact, my system seems to crash now - keyboard didn't work either, and I had to cold-reboot it.

Another interesting thing is prior to doing this, when X failed and returned to console, I had a row of vertical bars on the top 2 inches of my screen that flickered and redrew itself as the console scrolled by - but this probably has to do with the framebuffer support I compiled in. Doesn't stop me from working in console, and it doesn't appear until startx fails. Just interesting - or a sign of something I need to fix?
damienmoody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... I think that suggestion might have done the trick after all. After some further tweaking, taking out framebuffer (which I don't really need), and MAKING SURE .xinitrc HAS EXEC STARTKDE (d'oh!) I'm able to startx normally.

BUT - KDE goes FLOOMF when I select other than the default 1024x768 resolution. Used this same computer with higher resolutions, no special tweaking around on my part in the past, before I decided to wipe it and start over.

What am I missing?
damienmoody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No longer looking for answers, but thanks to all who did. I guess my interest in Gentoo stemmed from my career IT days, which are over. I just want a working non-Microstuffed system, so I'm going to look around and try other "out of the box" systems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: