alsa sound not working [solved] intel8x0 AC97
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aim nano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: alsa sound not working [solved] intel8x0 AC97 Reply with quote

I've installed gentoo many times before...but I'm introducing it to a friend and we're having trouble getting sound set up on his laptop. I've tried compiling directly in the kernel, I've tried using kernel modules, but I don't think I tried alsa-drivers. Nevertheless, modules have always been the most attractive option for me and it's always worked.

So after trying for quite some time to get it to work, we decided to reformat and start from the ground up. Once we booted from the liveCD I told him "sound will surely work now...it will confirm that we'd done something wrong." However, I am receiving no sound at all even on live CD (which I thought to use the same kernel/drivers as genkernel and pretty much is all encompassing.)

So if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to get my sound working properly...I would greatly appreciate it. Here is my lspci:

~# lscpi | grep audio

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

Before I was using the intel8x0 driver when compiling as a module...and I believe it was
Device Drivers -> Sound -> ALSA -> PCI -> SiS/Nvidia/Intel/somethingelse AC'97 Audio when I did it in the kernel.
Or something along those lines....

This laptop is a Gateway 7330.

Thanks,
Andrew

Edit: Keep in mind I have a fresh install to work with. :D

SOLUTION:

Turns out I needed two modules for it to work properly snd-intel8x0 and snd-intel8x0m.

Last edited by aim nano on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is follow the wiki article carefully.

It sounds like you might need to specify module parameters, as the article mentions.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed all necesary userspace tools (i.e alsa-lib, alsa-utils and alike)?
And is the soundcard unmuted by alsamixer?

The kernel options seem fine -- no need for kernel params.

cheers
V.
aim nano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
First thing to do is follow the wiki article carefully.

It sounds like you might need to specify module parameters, as the article mentions.

I've never seen this wiki before I'll check it out.

Veldrin wrote:
Have you installed all necesary userspace tools (i.e alsa-lib, alsa-utils and alike)?
And is the soundcard unmuted by alsamixer?

The kernel options seem fine -- no need for kernel params.

cheers
V.

Yes, I had emerged all the necessary packages: alsa-lib, alsa-utils, etc...and had also unmuted my soundcard with alsa mixer. I had even read a post where by command line, I could emit a sine wave as a tone across my speakers, and had even had it alternating from one speaker to another -- but no programs with sound would function properly. And yes...I have alsa in my USE flags.

I will follow the kernel wiki carefully as I recompile my kernel with this new installation and see what happens. (I have previously used only the gentoo alsa wiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: