fbsplash leaves X if a service couldn't start
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikderzweite
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: fbsplash leaves X if a service couldn't start Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a proud gentoo user, jet i have encountered a problem i can't manage.
I have installed fbsplash and it works fine. However, if a startup service couldn't start, it switches to tty1 now. While it is nice to be informed about failed services this way, i would like to change this behavior.
I use WLAN and vpnc at the university, but don't have any at home. So my wireless card gets started in the default runlevel. And if there are no networks, it fails to start (of course) and the system swithes to tty1 from X server. And i have to press Atl-F7 to get back to my KDE. Worse is, that vpnc fails too (there are no wireless networks around, remember?) and i get the first console again!
It there any way to change this behavior?
i use suspend2-sources-2.6.18 and here is a part from grub.conf:
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)/boot
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 video=savagefb:,ywrap,mtrr:2,1024x768-32@60 splash=silent,fadein,theme:livecd-2007.0 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 fbcon=scrollback:128k quiet
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/fbsplash

Last edited by erikderzweite on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, how does X start before the network does? (just curious)

I would recommend you to emerge sys-apps/ifplugd (it needs no configuration). Instead of waiting to receive the connection, it does it in the background, and it expects that there might not be a connection, so it does not give you an error.

As for vpnc, I'm not sure, since I've never used it. I think ifplugd will not start any services dependant on the network if it's not available, but I can't try it myself right now.

Hope this helps!
erikderzweite
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
First, how does X start before the network does? (just curious)

To be truly honest, i do not know. It just does. And i like this feature :D

AM088 wrote:
I would recommend you to emerge sys-apps/ifplugd (it needs no configuration). Instead of waiting to receive the connection, it does it in the background, and it expects that there might not be a connection, so it does not give you an error.
As for vpnc, I'm not sure, since I've never used it. I think ifplugd will not start any services dependant on the network if it's not available, but I can't try it myself right now.

I already have ifplugd installed. Seems to me, it is for wired connections only. And my problem is slightly different - i don't have this issue if i turn fbsplash off (even with framebuffer enabled), without splash=... i don't return to tty1 on failed service. So it is clearly an fbsplash issue. Is there any option i have to pass in my grub.conf to disable this switching back?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: