Pkgcore, shared repository, couple quick questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vputz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Pkgcore, shared repository, couple quick questions Reply with quote

This is NOT intended to start a portage/pkgcore/paludis thread. I think it's great that we have a CHOICE of package manager.

Anyway, I'm trying out pkgcore, which works pretty well (and kudos for the pkgcore devs' allowance of portage-style configuration so I could just compile and get started). Anyway, I'm sharing a portage repository (just the bit that would be marked PORTDIR in /etc/make.conf) on my server with my other computers via NFS. Hooray! It even seems to work. Hooray again!

One problem--occasionally I get weirdness if I pmerge something on my desktop and then try to pmerge it on the server. The problem--and I wish I'd captured it--has to do with creating the work directory and unpacking everything. I'm using pkgcore 0.3.1. It's also worth noting that if I "emerge --fetchonly file" on the server and then "pmerge file", it works fine, which seems quite curious. It's also worth knowing that my server is 32-bit and my desktop is AMD64. Note also that only PORTDIR is shared, while the /var/tmp/portage/XXX files are all local.

My question is this: is there more to sharing a repository under pkgcore than there is to sharing it under regular old portage? Or can PORTDIR-style repositories not be easily shared between 32- and 64- bit systems? Also -- file permissions on pkgcore-generated files under /var/tmp/portage confuse me; portage (run as root) did it under "portage:portage"; pkgcore (run as root) seems to do it as "root:portage".
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Unsupported Software. Like paludis, pkgcore is currently an unsupported program. You can probably find pkgcore people in #pkgcore.
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pkgcore, shared repository, couple quick questions Reply with quote

vputz wrote:
This is NOT intended to start a portage/pkgcore/paludis thread. I think it's great that we have a CHOICE of package manager.

Anyway, I'm trying out pkgcore, which works pretty well (and kudos for the pkgcore devs' allowance of portage-style configuration so I could just compile and get started). Anyway, I'm sharing a portage repository (just the bit that would be marked PORTDIR in /etc/make.conf) on my server with my other computers via NFS. Hooray! It even seems to work. Hooray again!

One problem--occasionally I get weirdness if I pmerge something on my desktop and then try to pmerge it on the server. The problem--and I wish I'd captured it--has to do with creating the work directory and unpacking everything. I'm using pkgcore 0.3.1. It's also worth noting that if I "emerge --fetchonly file" on the server and then "pmerge file", it works fine, which seems quite curious. It's also worth knowing that my server is 32-bit and my desktop is AMD64. Note also that only PORTDIR is shared, while the /var/tmp/portage/XXX files are all local.

My question is this: is there more to sharing a repository under pkgcore than there is to sharing it under regular old portage? Or can PORTDIR-style repositories not be easily shared between 32- and 64- bit systems? Also -- file permissions on pkgcore-generated files under /var/tmp/portage confuse me; portage (run as root) did it under "portage:portage"; pkgcore (run as root) seems to do it as "root:portage".

Re: permissions, note that it's g+wr; so owner doesn't matter there. Issues you've been having, if they're still occurring please either track me down in irc (#pkgcore on freenode), or file a bug at http://pkgcore.org/trac/pkgcore; I've not seen any issues utilizing a similar setup, so I'd be curious about your issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: