View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kluh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Aiptek usb tablet Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten an Aiptek tablet to work in X? Tell me how you did it:)
drac0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this post...

I've got an Aiptek tablet as well that I can't get working. Anyone with suggestions?
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tablet but, like you, I can't use it with kde.

I try different options in the kernel but I think that a XFree driver is needed.
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have find this link :

http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/aiptek-howto/

I will try tomorow
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to configure my tablet but I have some with kde.

I have to activate gimp to have a reaction on the screen, due to the stylet.

But after the cursor goes to righ bottom corner of the screen and refuse to move. I have the window as i puch to wheel of my mouse.

Is there someone who use this aiptek, medion or lifetec tablet.
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What models of the Aiptek tablet? HyperPen 4000/6000/8000s are the only ones I know that have a driver.

How are you adding them to XFree's config file?
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact it is a lifetec 9570 the same as a aiptec hyperpen 12000U and Trust Wireless Tablet 400 and Medion MD9750.

I used this link : http://aiptektablet.sourceforge.net/ and different forums with no sucess
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more idea !
kluh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I have tried both the GUG link and the sourceforge link, and could get neither to work following the install instructions. What I was hoping for was to find someone who has one of the drivers working currently on their system. I have an 8000U.
dcro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tablet is an 12000U
LordThunder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be support now in the Kernel, but when I compile it in, it still says it's using the 'hid' driver instead of the 'aiptek' one. Although my tablet does work, it only works as a mouse .. so only relative movements. Anyone had more success? My tablet is a Medion MD9570, which is an aiptek clone.

Best regards,
LT

Edit: I have checked out hid-core.c in the kernel source .. according to the author of the aiptek driver, there should be some exception to ignore aiptek stuff, but USB_VENDOR_ID_AIPTEK is not mentioned anywhere in there. :? Perhaps this is one of the problems.
kluh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What build are you using as I have not had any luck, not even using it as a mouse.
LordThunder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Kernel version gentoo-2.4.20-r6 (haven't tried r7 yet but it didn't mention anything about hid devices in the changelogs if I recall correctly)
I have all 'input core' features compiled in and also the generic USB HID support compiled in. I also compiled the aiptek module, which doesn't seem to get used as it is inserted (either as a module or compiled in) but catting /proc/bus/usb/devices reports: Driver=hid instead of Driver=aiptek for the tablet. The aiptek module isn't needed for the mouse behaviour .. because it works 'fine' as a mouse without the aiptek stuff compiled at all.

Regards,
LT
Wolven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this topic? I'm trying to get a 'Trust 1200 Wireless Tablet' working. And I'm having the same issues as LordThunder.
XiM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Medion9570 (= rebranded aiptek 12000). I don't have a complete solution either yet, but I do have the kernel driver working.
The aiptek kernel driver included with the gentoo sources is quite old (0.3). I've successfully used the kernel patch provided at aiptektablet.sf.net . That gives you version 1.0 of the aiptek driver and that version does seem to work with my tablet. The evtest test program from aiptektablet.sf.net does show events being generated. However compiling the xfree driver is giving me real headaches. I don't really understand the xfree build process, but after some dirty hacks (shout if you want to know them) I do seem to have an xfree driver. Unfortunately with this driver the tablet only works about once every 10-20 times I restart X. The pen is recognised but doesn't generate xinput events.
I've also tried using xfree's wacom driver, aiptek xfree driver from aiptektablet.sf.net is based on this one I think, but then only the x-y axis work and not z-axis(pressure sensitivity).
About the driver=hid instead of Driver=aiptek problem, I've had that and solved it my rmmodding usbmouse.

All in all, I've given up for now on getting it to work. The guy working on aiptektablet.sf.net is concentrating on 2.6 kernel and 4.4 xfree IIRC, so I guess I'll wait for that.
Wolven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the reply XiM. I think I'll just wait for the new drivers to be released. I don't know how to patch my kernel yet, (read noob) and it's not that important to get the tablet working ATM. I've just installed Gentoo on my girl friends box, it's a dualboot Windows/Gentoo, so she can boot to Windows if she needs to use the tablet.

Just for the record of this thread. I'm using the mm-sources-2.6-test10-r1
meloncully
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if anybody has found/mentioned this, i didnt feel like reading through the whole thread.

anyways, i found that in the 2.6 (dunno about 2.4) kernel under device drivers>USB devices (whatever its called) and scroll down a little, you will find that you can have the aiptek 4000/6000 built in driver for the kernel. it works good. i dunno how good as i only know that i can use the tablet. i havent had time to mess with it any further.
lamekain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Any news on the subject? Reply with quote

I have 8000U and I patched and compiled the kernel. Is there a way to test if the kernel patch is working?

Xfree isn't working yet. Has anyone got the tablet working straight by upgrading to Xfree 4.4 or using some other windowing system?

-Global Terrorism.org
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume when you guys talk about patching the kernel you are talking about 2.4, or has anyone got a patch to work with 2.6???

The sourceforge site seems to be stagnating and the 2.6 kernel both gentoo and kernel.org contains the old 0.3 driver...
lamekain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I have 2.4 and I'm not so excited about updating to 2.6. I think the kernel side is working ok (how can i test?), but I'm interested about the X-side. Do I have to emerge Xfree 4.3.x and patch it and compile it, or should I get a non-gentoo-supported-ebuild for 4.4 and compile it(shouldn't it support aiptek by default?).

-Global Terrorism.org
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I'd hoped you'd got 2.6 patched, as I'll be damned if I can get it done :-( Tried several things to make the 2.5 patch to work with 2.6 with no joy...

Grab evtest and use that to test what you are getting from the tablet (evtest /dev/inputX). Should be available form the sourceforge site. (Might need to get it from CVS)
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, forgot. XFree 4.3.99.902-r2 in portege should have the driver and no license problems ;-)

Though until I can get a 2.6 kernel to play ball I'll not be able to test that :-(
lamekain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I don't even have aiptek in /proc/driver/usb (actually I don't even have the usb dir. Does that mean that USB-support is not compiled into the kernel.. i'm sure i put it there :? ).

I guess I have to try updating to 2.6 tomorrow. I guess it won't do me harm :) . And after that I'll grab a unofficial 4.4-ebuild (floating around these forums somewhere) and compile that. I just have to use my pen with the new gimp :!:

I hope freedesktop.org gets a release out soon cos' I don't want to support non-GPL-compatible software..

-Global Terrorism.org
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got the new driver from the mm5 kernel. At least thats what the developer said. Right now Im working on trying to get it working in XFree86 :).
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r14 now works, sort of.... Need to test for full functionality, but the cursor no longer jumps off the top right of the screen.

This is using X.org 6.7.0-r2.

Progress on a 2.6 kernel at last :-) Will post status when I've tested it fully for pressure etc..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: