View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kottlettstanze
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, I just upgraded to 2.6.8. The cursor is still jumping off the top right of the screen :(
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. 2.6.8-gentoo-r1 reverts back to jumping off the top right of the screen.

I've gone back to 2.6.7-gentoo-r14 for the time being which works.
lamekain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tihkal wrote:

Do you mean it works "perfectly" (absolute-mode, pressure, etc)? or do you mean it only "works", like an absolute mouse (like mine :( )?

-Global Terrorism.org
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamekain wrote:
tihkal wrote:

Do you mean it works "perfectly" (absolute-mode, pressure, etc)? or do you mean it only "works", like an absolute mouse (like mine :( )?

Rather interested in this too. Can someone elaborate?
venzon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using kernel 2.6.7 and the kernel driver included is working great (evtest reports correct values) but the X driver is not working properly (I'm using Xorg 6.8.0). The tablet doesn't move the cursor at all, and if press CTRL+ALT+F1 (or any other virtual terminal) X dies.
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with the developer some time ago and he mentioned that the X driver needed work. I am not too sure which version of X it was having trouble with but seeing as xorg is fairly new I would assume the problems will translate into that as well. I have a cursor that jumps around only in the top right corner.
venzon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pointer jumps around in the top right corner for me as well IF I'm using the /dev/input/mouseX entry (or /dev/input/mice) for my input device... for some reason, the kernel driver creates that mouse entry, but it doesn't work correctly. However, I'm pretty sure the tablet *should* work in such a way that you just ignore the /dev/input/mouseX that it creates (and so you have to use the proper /dev/input/mouseX for your real mouse, rather than using /dev/input/mice, which combines all of the mouseX events together, including the crappy tablet mouseX) and instead just rely on the pen (i.e. stylus), cursor, and eraser devices. However, when I do that, I get the problems outlined above. That is, the tablet doesn't move the pointer and Xorg crashes whenever I do a CTRL+ALT+F1 or some other function key.

They've got a really nice kernel driver now, and it's obvious they've put a lot of work into it, but it seems like the X driver is a direct descendent of the same old crappy X driver that I had to hack to death a long time ago to get to barely work.

Hopefully now that the kernel driver is working fine, they'll have time to spend on the X driver.
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, it suddenly works on latest xorg and 2.6.9 :) Nice!
lamekain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wzzrd wrote:

8O please elaborate. What Xorg-version? what tablet? which sources of 2.6.9? works with pressure?

-Global Terrorism.org
blotto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a aiptek clone but haven't played with it for a while but have kept an eye on the
mailing list and the packages have new maintainers and there has been quiet a bit going on lately.

There has been a "unified" produced lately which has kernel driver xorg/xfree driver and
control package together - they can be downloaded as a tar package here

There seems to more success with the packge lately than there has been for a while.
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamekain wrote:
wzzrd wrote:

8O please elaborate. What Xorg-version? what tablet? which sources of 2.6.9? works with pressure?

Sources: development-sources-2.6.9 (uname -a: Linux MyMachine 2.6.9 #1 Wed Oct 20 09:44:56 CEST 2004 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux)
Xorg: 6.8.0-r1
Tablet: Medion aiptek clone (from dmesg: drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: input: Aiptek using 400 ms programming speed

usbcore: registered new driver aiptek
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: v1.5 (May-15-2004): Bryan W. Headley/Chris Atenasio
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: Aiptek HyperPen USB Tablet Driver (Linux 2.6.x))
Pressure: hadn't tried yet, so I tested for ya, but it doesn't work. Sadly.

But we're getting there...!
labyrinth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 6000u, but I'm not even able to use it as a mouse. I know very little about drivers and hardware, but I'm using the genkernel, and it is one of the 4 modules that I have load at boot, and that says ok.

Also, doing > cat /proc/bus/usb/devices shows my aiptek along with Driver=aiptek.

When my system boots, though, the HID fails to load. Is this a possible problem?

Also, I'm using the 2.4 kernel. Is there support for the aiptek on this kernel?
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

labyrinth wrote:

When my system boots, though, the HID fails to load. Is this a possible problem?

Yes, it could. Afaik HID is the human interface part for the USB subsystem. In other words: if you have a USB device to interact with your computer (e.g. a mouse), you need HID.

labyrinth wrote:

Also, I'm using the 2.4 kernel. Is there support for the aiptek on this kernel?

Dunno, but you could give 2.6 a swing to see if it works out for you?
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought one of these today, and I get the feeling I'm going to regret it.

Up to now all I have is a basic pointer, I can't even define the drawing area so it doesn't keep moving around (man aiptek didn't help). Pressure sensitivity doesn't really bother me, I only planned to use it for stenciling and Inkscape anyway, so far the only time I've got anything done with it is in Windows, and that's really not an option.

So, here's my question, does anyone actually have this tablet working to a good degree? :(
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said earlier, it worked more or less. But then again, I haven't tested it in some time. It just lays here, taking up space on my desk. Wanne buy another (mine) so you can draw in stereo? No? Why not? ;)
blotto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ust bought one of these today, and I get the feeling I'm going to regret it.

Up to now all I have is a basic pointer, I can't even define the drawing area so it doesn't keep moving around (man aiptek didn't help). Pressure sensitivity doesn't really bother me, I only planned to use it for stenciling and Inkscape anyway, so far the only time I've got anything done with it is in Windows, and that's really not an option.

So, here's my question, does anyone actually have this tablet working to a good degree?

It seems to work for a lot more people these days. what X system are you running whats in your xorg.conf/xf86config.
2.6.6 kernel drivers have worked OK for me the main trouble seems to be getting X sorted.
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter, I've decided I'm going to take it back tomorrow and try to get a refund, will probably get a Graphire 3 somewhere down the line instead :(
Ceh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venzon wrote:
That is, the tablet doesn't move the pointer and Xorg crashes whenever I do a CTRL+ALT+F1 or some other function key.
----

Hopefully now that the kernel driver is working fine, they'll have time to spend on the X driver.

Tablet is working quite well with drivers from the latest unified_package. For example pressure is usable in Cinepaint.
Putting suitable (not using /dev/mice) entries to xorg.conf for ordinary mouse normally solves cursor moving problems. I had also crashing X problem when switching terminal. It seems to be DRI issue because disabling "EnablePageFlip" corrected the problem.
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: 1200U install questions Reply with quote

This is a bit over my head and I hope someone can help me out. I have the Aiptek 1200U installed on 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 (with screen size set) and xorg 6.8.0-r4 ...... this is what I've got happening.

1. Stylus moves the cursor around but screen size and position doesn't match that tablet and keeps moving around.

2. Applied the sample config from sourceforge to xorg.conf using /dev/input/event0 and things stayed the same.

3. Changed mouse to /dev/input/event1 and the mouse continued to work but aiptek no longer moved the cursor.

4. Same with mouse at /dev/input/mouse1 and aiptek at /dev/input/mouse0.

5. Aiptek moves as either event0 or mouse0 when mouse is set as /dev/input/mice

The above and not finding a solution on the aiptek man page exhausts my current techinal capabilities.

The post above Ceh says:
Quote:
Tablet is working quite well with drivers from the latest unified_package. For example pressure is usable in Cinepaint.
Putting suitable (not using /dev/mice) entries to xorg.conf for ordinary mouse normally solves cursor moving problems. I had also crashing X problem when switching terminal. It seems to be DRI issue because disabling "EnablePageFlip" corrected the problem.

So I d/l'ed the unified_packaged but the instructions are a bit beyond me.
Quote:
You should use this package in order to install the driver. I'ts a work in progress but it works fine for a lot of people. ou should try to install the driver with a little ./aiptek-installer as root. Then you'll have to configure your X. (see src/xserver_input_driver/aiptek_typical_XF86Config-4) If it don't work, do it as usual. It will install a prebuilt X driver and rebuild the latest kernel driver upon your kernel sources (it have to be in /usr/src/linux) It won't compile your whole kernel tree . You can also recompile the X driver if you've got a fresh X source dir, with the --xfree-src-dir option example : ./aiptek-installer.pl --xfree-src-dir ../../xc/ It works for me, sometimes give errors but works ^^, it won't recompile you whole X.

I Hope someone will be kind enough to break that down into steps I can understand and follow. (including which directories I extract the files to)

Also, does this package also inclued gaiptek?

Thanks for reading this and any help anyone can give me.
Ceh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200U install questions Reply with quote

shadowfac wrote:
This is a bit over my head and I hope someone can help me out. I have the Aiptek 1200U installed on 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 (with screen size set) and xorg 6.8.0-r4 ...... this is what I've got happening.
5. Aiptek moves as either event0 or mouse0 when mouse is set as /dev/input/mice

Correct config line for aiptek is probably /dev/input/event2.

In addition you need the prebuilt module for X from unified_package. Just copy aiptek_drv.o from unified_package/prebuilt/2.6 to /usr/lib/modules/input .

Restart X and test if it is working correctly.
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! It is working now and not doing anything crazy .... except for my drawing :lol:

Would had been working yesterday too if I had know it's not just a mater of restarting X from the con but also of signing out all the way and logging back in.

Thanks for the help Ceh
radikale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like people have it working, i am new to linux and don't understand any of it maybe somebody can make a definitife guide ??

somehow managed to get it compiled with my kernel but that is about all

tablet is working but flies of the screen

if you need more info about my problem tellme what to do and i'll post the findings/logs,etc

thanks
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
tablet is working but flies of the screen
That's how mine was. untill I got the updated X driver from the project on sourceforge. After I copied it over the older driver in /usr.lib/modules/input and rebooted it works fine. You can also compile gaiptek which is a gui for the aiptek drivers.

If you have more questios I'll try to halp you out.

Good luck
radikale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: aiptek not working Reply with quote

ok i recompiled the kernel to support the aiptek as a module.
also entered the config lines to xorg.conf.
but when i restart X then i get this error
Quote:

(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.6629
Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.0, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.o
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.0, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) LoadModule: "aiptek"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/aiptek_drv.o
Symbol fbCloseScreen from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbWinPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbWinPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbCreateWindow from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbCreateGC from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbGCPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbValidateGC from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbPictureInit from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!

*** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.X.Org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

This is what i have in /dev/input;

Quote:
event0 event1 event2 mice mouse0 mouse1

it almost looks like there's a conflict between devices but i don't know much about linux so maybe i have done somthing wrong ? if so please tell don't want to go back to that dreadfull windows but i really need this tablet working.
shadowfac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok i recompiled the kernel to support the aiptek as a module.
I don't know if recompiling as a module would be affecting it ... I left mine as part of the kernel.

Try running
Code:
dmesg | grep aiptek

Mine happens to be pluged into the 1st pair of usb ports that are read so I get
Code:
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: input: Aiptek on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2 (event0)
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: aiptek: timeout proximity
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: input: Aiptek using 400 ms programming speed
usbcore: registered new driver aiptek
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: v1.8 (Oct-28-2004): Bryan W. Headley/Chris Atenasio/C\uffff\uffffdric Brun/Ren\uffff\uffff van Paassen
drivers/usb/input/aiptek.c: Aiptek HyperPen USB Tablet Driver (Linux 2.6.x)
As the 1st line shows, my tablet is event0 as the kernael finds it before my usb mouse & keyboard. Running this before starting X will ensure you're using the right eventX.

Hopefully that will handle the confict. If it doesn't, as the nvida code is over my head, I can only suggest posting it in the Multimedia and/or Hardware forms.

You could also list your xorg.conf here and I'll see if I can spot anything.

Good luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: