A laptop serious issue.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zahlberer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: A laptop serious issue. Reply with quote

I am owner of a HP ze4900 an have just installed Gentoo Linux in it.

The procedure I took was the following:
0) First I did the base install just as explained in the gentoo handbook.
1) I emerged suspend2-sources instead of gentoo-sources.
2) I emerged gcc-config glibc binutils gcc.
3) I compiled the kernel with cflags "-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe".
4) I followed most of the Power Management Guide.
5) My computer has no major packages emerged, not even X yet. I only have the splash console.

By now, I am stuck in the hibernate-ram script configuration.

I emerged hibernate-scripts and changed only the verbosity in the common.conf file.

Expecting it to work, I ran hibernate-ram. It did not work. The screen went black and the buttons and lights wore off. It was as if the laptop was turned off. Then, I tried pressing every button but the power one. None brought it back to life. By pressing the power button, though, it was turned on and a cursor in a raw console appeared blinking and were off. The screen was all black. I pressed many buttons expecting it was just an error in the grub display. Nothing worked. I went for hard reset. It made such a noise I thought the computer would never turn on again. By pressing the power button once more, the laptop showed the comforting grub screen. What a relief!

Anyway, I unmerged hibernate-script.

I now think it was a lack of configuration in the many hibernate .conf files. I am not a Linux expert and do not think I can configure those. That seems more difficult to me than configuring ACPI or even the kernel manually, perhaps for the lack of documentation.

So I went to the forum to ask if anyone using this laptop model or similar could tell me how is it I can put that working. Is there any trick, any sticky detail?

I value hibernation much since I use it frequently. I really wish to include that feature. The only modes I want are hibernate to ram and hibernate to disk.

How is it I can put those two working?

Please help me! I have halted the installation until I can configure that.

Please!
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first we need some more information. Would you please post the results of "lspci" so we can see what your machine has.

Second, there are a couple of possibilities as to why this is not working. It could be the suspend method or you could be using a module that doesn't like being suspended. To check the method, in the /etc/hibernate directory find the lines in ram.conf and disk.conf that start with "TryMethod" and post these. For example, these lines in my ram.conf looks like:
Code:
TryMethod ususpend-disk.conf
TryMethod sysfs-disk.conf

Also, post the results of "lsmod" so that we can see if you have any obvious modules loaded that don't suspend well. Once you know what modules is causing the problem (if this is the case,) you can use the UnloadModules/LoadModules directives in common.conf to properly unload and load those modules so they don't hose up the suspend.

You may also try plain "hibernate" to see if that works. Generally, suspend to ram is a bit more touchy than suspend to disk.

Regards.
zahlberer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so these are the ouputs for

lspci:
Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:05.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
02:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
02:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

and lsmod:
Code:

Module                  Size  Used by

Perhaps the lsmod has not listed many things because I compiled most of the things in the kernel, rather than as modules.

The output for cat /etc/hibernate/ram.conf | grep TryMeth is precisely the same of yours, except that instead of disk, it says ram. Then, it is
Code:

# annoying comments which I shall not type
TryMethod ususpend-ram.conf
TryMethod sysfs-ram.conf

Thanks for the help.
zahlberer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be helpful if I put the output for hibernate-ram -n. And here it is

Code:

hibernate-ram: Trying method in sysfs-ram.conf...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing CheckLastResume ...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing NewKernelFileCheck ...
hibernate-ram: [10] Executing EnsureSysfsPowerStateCapable ...
hibernate-ram: [11] Executing XHacksSuspendHook1 ...
hibernate-ram: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRO ...
hibernate-ram: [89] Executing SaveKernelModprobe ...
hibernate-ram: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
Unloading blacklisted modules listed /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules
hibernate-ram: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
Unloading blacklisted modules listed /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules
hibernate-ram: [95] Executing XHacksSuspendHook2 ...
hibernate-ram: [97] Executing VbetoolSaveState ...
'vbetool' utility not found. Vbetool disabled.
hibernate-ram: [98] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate-ram: [99] Executing DoSysfsPowerStateSuspend ...
hibernate-ram: Not actually suspending (--no-suspend given)
hibernate-ram: [97] Executing VbetoolRestoreState ...
hibernate-ram: [90] Executing ModulesLoad ...
hibernate-ram: [89] Executing RestoreKernelModprobe ...
hibernate-ram: [85] Executing XHacksResumeHook2 ...
hibernate-ram: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate-ram: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate-ram: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRW ...
hibernate-ram: [11] Executing XHacksResumeHook1 ...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing NoteLastResume ...
hibernate-ram: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the lsmod has not listed many things because I compiled most of the things in the kernel, rather than as modules.
This can cause problems. check if there are any blacklisted modules, and recompile the kernel. IIRC USB, was the bugger for me.

cheers
V.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not about getting gentoo installed, but suspend related questions, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed upon re-reading your original post was that the machine seems to turn off. On most machines I've seen when you suspend to RAM you get some kind of flashing status indicator to show that the machine is sleeping. Did you see anything like this? If your laptop does have this type of sleep indicator you should see that when you do hibernate-ram. Does your machine have such an indicator? Did it light up/activate when you slept? I am trying to make sure that the suspend was OK and it's just the resume that's problematic. Usually, that is the case -- suspend works fine, but resuming is where you see problems.

Regards.
zahlberer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried again and could see a LED blinking, so the PC was not actually off. I was so afraid of the computer breaking down that I did not even notice in the first time.

About resuming, I have been reading and someone said I had to pass kernel parameters.

Also, there was a post in which I was told to look for modules in the black list.

Again, I am no Linux expert. Then I make the question: does using genkernel (compiling everything) solves this problem?

I also noticed some vbetool utility is missing.

What could the problem be?

Additionally, if I am not abusing, may I ask about hardware sensors? It is just I am afraid to destroy my hardware configuring those incorrectly.

Thanks again.
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, good, if the light was blinking, in all probability suspending to RAM works fine and some tweaking may be needed to get it to resume properly. This is a good sign, you're half-way there! Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about your computer breaking down. If there's anything on that hard drive that you need, be sure you back it up because file system corruption could happen, but you shouldn't be able to "break" your computer.

With respect to the kernel parameters, I use gentoo-sources with the suspend2 patches and use the swap partition for hibernating and the only parameter I had to add was "resume=/dev/sda5" where /dev/sda5 is my swap partition. I forget exactly what the parameter is if you are using a swap file. Since an image is not written to disk for suspend to RAM, this shouldn't be affecting you right now.

I've only ever used genkernel during an install to get things going, but I don't think it will solve the resume after suspend-to-RAM problem. It will build everything it can as modules, so this may help you with testing. I could be wrong here.

You may or may not need vbetool, it depends on your chipset and graphics card. I've got an ATI X300 and I use neither vbetool nor radeontool. You can always emerge vbetool and enable it in /etc/hibernate/common.conf to see if it makes a difference. I can't tell you the parameters you need to tweak right now because I'm not at my Gentoo machine, but if you look at common.conf and man hibernate.conf, you should be able to find the VbeTool parameter.

Regarding your hardware sensors, don't be worried about destroying your hardware. At the worst you'll get no readings or incorrect readings. emerge lm_sensors, run sensors-detect as root and then make the changes it recommends.

Good luck.
zahlberer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is useful.

Indeed suspend to RAM works fine at first, because it does show me a gentoo splash screen before going down. This tweaking is the problem. It does not seem to work properly. At resume, the video does not even turn on, it is always black. It used the SplashScreen (or similar) option in common.conf but did not get just the result.

About breaking the computer, I hope this can not happen, but the bad feeling about doing a hard reset is really bad. The screen is black, I do not know what is happening.

I tried a kernel parameter to turn the video on, but the result was scary, it seemed as if the video was displaying garbage.

What is vbetool, I did not emerge because it lies masked in the unstable portage branch, which I do not intend to use.

My graphics card is one whose driver is the "i810". Pretty standard.

About lm_sensors, I emerged it and ran sensors-detect. Then I "modprobed" the hardware detection driver and the "eeprom" driver, doing all sensors-detect told me to do. The result of sensors was, though, as if a driver was missing.

My laptop is so rare (I mean, I find no documentation) that I am seriously considering uninstalling Gentoo. I like this OS very much and it would be a pity to do so. I am three steps from getting it cool: lm_sensors, sleep and hibernate. After this I would recompile everything (overnight) and begin installing X, KDE, XGL, etc... The feeling I get is that Gentoo suits better laboratories (in which they have many equal computers) to reduce compilation time, servers or standardised hardware such as the PS3. A different computer such as mine has not enough documentation.

I would remove the last paragraph, though, if those three things could be fixed.

Thanks again.
GatoVolador
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been a bit busy lately.

Anyway, you mention you are using the splash screen. Though it is probably not affecting the suspend/resume, it might be a reasonable idea to disable it and use the simple text interface until you're sure that the resume works. That way there is one less thing that could go wrong.

Though it's never "comfortable" to do a hard reset, you still shouldn't be too worried about it. Probably about the worse that could happen is some (Linux) file system corruption. With most file systems (but not XFS) recovery should not be a problem at all. I've got a Dell, which are notoriously picky, and I had to hard reset it numerous times while I was experimenting to get suspend to RAM going. The only that that happened a couple of times was that the Reiser FS journal had to be replayed. As far as I can tell I didn't lose anything. That said, when you're testing suspend, just be sure you don't have any important files open and you should be OK.

You mentioned that you tried a "kernel parameter to turn the video on". What exactly do you mean by this? I am assuming you used something like "video=0x374" to get a framebuffer. If the framebuffer stuff for your chipset was not set up properly in the kernel, it is quite normal to get garbage like you saw. Out of curiosity, what does the kernel line in your boot loader (GRUB/LILO) look like? If you didn't have a video parameter before, then most likely you're running the normal text console. This should actually simplify things a bit.

One more question: have you rebuilt a kernel with modules instead of everything built into the kernel? Recall we mentioned having to perhaps unload some modules to get the machine to resume successfully? At this phase, you will likely have to do some googling and experimentation to see which module(s) might be problematic for your particular hardware. If you haven't built a modular kernel, you might want to do this.

With respect to lm_sensors, when you say "The result of sensors was, though, as if a driver was missing" what exactly do you mean? Did sensors tell you no sensors were found? According to the lm-sensors web site your SMBus controller is supported, so it should work. Perhaps HP has some special tools for the sensors. Both my Dell and my ThinkPad have the same controller, but they don't work with lm-sensors since they have their own kernel modules/software for the sensors.

Well, I hope that you do have success with Gentoo. It is great when you want the level of control it provides, though admittedly having more control means doing a bit more work as in this case. Once you get it set up, things should be great. One interesting experiment may be getting a Knoppix LiveCD and booting it to see the kernel config and modules it loads for your hardware and if everything works. This way you might get a bit better idea of exactly you need for your laptop to completely work.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: