Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Video editing tool (mainly fading screenshots)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Video editing tool (mainly fading screenshots) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I know that there are many "looking for a video editing software"-threads in the board, but somehow the people always recommend Kino there, and this thing somehow doesn't suit me. I want a video editing or actually video creating software which supports fading in of static screenshots and features like a "have the picture follow a path during a scene"-thingy. I tried Kino for this purposes, but I have to say, that it takes WAY too long to import a single gif or png, I actually don't know how long it takes or whether it imports the graphic at all, but I can at least say that it takes too much time...
I plan to do a movie for a browsergame, which means a lot of screenshot material and few outgame movie scenes of space battles, e.g. zooming into a static planet picture and then switching into a Star Trek spacefight or something. I hope you can tell me of a program which suits my needs and has at least some good documentation and tutorials available, because I don't believe, that there is a piece of software that fits my needs and is simple in addition to that. ;)

Greetz
Darillian
Darillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekhm, it would be really cool, if someone could actually answer my request, I didn't post it here for fun :twisted:
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Video editing tool (mainly fading screenshots) Reply with quote

Darillian wrote:
Hey guys,

I know that there are many "looking for a video editing software"-threads in the board, but somehow the people always recommend Kino there, and this thing somehow doesn't suit me. I want a video editing or actually video creating software which supports fading in of static screenshots and features like a "have the picture follow a path during a scene"-thingy. I tried Kino for this purposes, but I have to say, that it takes WAY too long to import a single gif or png, I actually don't know how long it takes or whether it imports the graphic at all, but I can at least say that it takes too much time...
I plan to do a movie for a browsergame, which means a lot of screenshot material and few outgame movie scenes of space battles, e.g. zooming into a static planet picture and then switching into a Star Trek spacefight or something. I hope you can tell me of a program which suits my needs and has at least some good documentation and tutorials available, because I don't believe, that there is a piece of software that fits my needs and is simple in addition to that. ;)

Greetz
Darillian

instead of using screenshots, and building a video off of that, could you maybe use xvidcap?

Darillian wrote:
Ekhm, it would be really cool, if someone could actually answer my request, I didn't post it here for fun :twisted:

relax... simply "bump" should suffice... people will reply if they know the answer. :wink:

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Darillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Video editing tool (mainly fading screenshots) Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
xvidcap?

Okey, thanks, that's something to start with...

//edit (after emerge)
JESUS CHRIST!! This piece of software rocks the world. W-O-W! Thank you so much for this tip! :D
Seriously, this is far better than I have imagined... just... wow...
In combination with Kino this is just but perfect for my project!

bunder wrote:
Darillian wrote:

relax... simply "bump" should suffice... people will reply if they know the answer. :wink:

cheers

Okey, first of all I apologize, it wasn't my intention to make the sentence sound angry or annoyed, that's why I put the twisted-smilie at the end :D
Well, nevermind, I just don't like simple "bump"-posts because they're so... meaningless ;)

Thanks again! ;)
orange_juice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo,

I am also looking for a video editor, and I thought I could post here instead of creating a new post...

What I would like to do is to acquire the 15 or 20 seconds videos from my camera refine them -if needed- and actually replace the audio part of the video with an audio file created for this purpose.

I tried cinelerra but it could not at all even playback a video because it kept crushing...

Kino, does not seem to have any audio manipulating capabilities...

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
orange_juice
Darillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of Cinelerra did you try? Because I'm using cinelerra-cvs, so the "unofficial" fork of it and it works really well, although it is actually masked in portage. Just unmask media-video/cinelerra-cvs in /etc/portage/package.keywords and emerge cinelerra-cvs and it should work fine...
orange_juice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have unmasked and tried to install both available versions in portage:

Code:
media-video/cinelerra-cvs-20070122
media-video/cinelerra-cvs-20070607

Everything during installation seemed OK. However, when I loaded a video-clip (either .mpg or .mov) and I hit the play button, every cinelerra window available disappeared... The program kept crushing without any apparent reason.

I disabled the 3dnow and mmx flags as suggested in certain threads but still no result and no hint of any logged message...

Kind regards,
orange_juice
orange_juice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that
Code:
media-video/lives

is suitable for the job I need to do.

Kind regards,
orange_juice
vap0rtranz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: video/audio sync Reply with quote

I've tried lives but can't overcome audio running normal speed while video runs warp 9. ugh! I wish there were better docs on these programs because the ones online don't say much about the playback options
orange_juice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: video/audio sync Reply with quote

vap0rtranz wrote:
I've tried lives but can't overcome audio running normal speed while video runs warp 9. ugh! I wish there were better docs on these programs because the ones online don't say much about the playback options

:D :D :D
Allow me to consider your Lives audio warp field disrupted by a subspace distortion...
:D :D :D

Meanwhile ... I am not sure I can prove of great help in this issue.

I am using Lives only to capture HDV from my camera and this not for long...
There is already kino's dvgrab-3.0 released two weeks ago that can do the same thing more rigorously.
I am waiting for it to appear in portage.

However, I would like to offer my penny regarding linux and video editing.

Indeed, there are not many online guides to walk through these programs.

Cinelerra seems to be the most user friendly video editor in linux and its support also seems to be descent.
Therefore, you should give it a try.
For some unknown reason it worked on my system too, out of the blue ... !!! ...
(...after getting involved in some portage updates, kernel tweakings and all these gentooish things that apparently
render each gentoo box and its user better and better by the time...)

If you are not very familiar with tweaking your gentoo's system settings in order to accomodate for multimedia programs,
(although this is the best thing to do) there are suites that might render your box in a multimedia editing studio.
You can check the following:

64Studio
Dynebolic
Ubuntu Studio

Otherwise, you can try the hard core way, which is the command line video editing...

Seems very tempting and I am currently trying to dig further into this field.
It involves a lot of learning and understanding the rather complicated way video editing works.
I think that it is worth trying if you have the time.

Kind regards,
orange_juice
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I'm know looking for some suitable video editing tools. I'm using gtk-recordMyDesktop to create movie clips. I then want to create fade and other effects during certain sections and also place text during playback.

Any suggestions regarding which tool will allow text to be placed into the video stream?
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titlers in Kino (including fading, scrolling, banner but lower quality of rendering of fonts), Kdenlive(less possibilities of titler, but under development) and Cinelerra (well elaborated tool, good fonts) work well.

Another way is to make your text in Gimp on a transparent back ground and export as png. Import the png in a multi track video editor on the upper track.

I very nice tool for fading is the automatic keyframes in cinelerra. However, if it is only for a couple of titles learning cinelerra might be overshooting.
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only command-line editing I have done is for creating DVD menu screens, but of course that starts life as a video clip.

If this is of interest, definitely check out the huge thread on here about creating DVDs.

The most elaborate editing I have done so far was for a menu for 4 episodes of the TV show "Medium". What I wanted was to start with a static image (one frame extracted from the beginning of an episode that is the standard lead-in for the show) and for audio throughout the menu I had a loop from a Toad the Wet Sprocket song (yes, this was for private consumption). After one second in the top-left quadrant of the screen a shrunk down frame from the first episode would fade in over 1 second time; then in the lower-left quadrant a shrunken frame from the second episode would fade in over 1 second; and so on (third episode in top-right, fourth episode in bottom-right). That is 5 seconds total. Then for 1 second the episode title text would fade in on top of the shrunken frame images (all 4 titles fade in at the same time), and that was the end of the menu (well, it would now do a loop on the static ending frame from that clip).

Did all that with imagemagick and some other tools (mjpegtools for things like converting a png to a video clip, etc). Used audacity for creating the audio clip, used frame (29.97 frames per second) for timing - which was fine since the audio did not sync to the video, but I think it would have been do-able even if I did have some sync'd audio.

That was way fun, but was much too time consuming for making the menus for my TV show DVDs, so I ended up writing a script that automatically calculated compression sizes and created a menu for a bunch of episodes in a directory. These menus just have a static background image and static text labels for the episodes..

Edit:

I should mention that this is all "relatively" easy if you are working with progressive, because all the effects work is basically treating each frame as an image; I don't know if there are tools for interlaced.

Also you have to be a little careful of video degradation. That is, you can't just keep decompress-manipulate-compress the image data or it will degrade relatively rapidly (unless you are using some kind of lossless video compression, and I don't know if there is one). The ultimate would be to take all the video and (deinterlace if necessary and) convert to lossless (eg png) images. Now you could play with each frame as much as you want without degrading quality (assuming you keep the original on hand in case of an oopsy). Of course unless it is a small clip this would take a VAST amount of disc space. But in the age of affordable 1TB consumer hard drives, this is not unrealistic even if you are making a feature length film.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: