I'm having trouble with dosbox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: I'm having trouble with dosbox Reply with quote

Hi all,

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux w98home 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP Wed Apr 18 23:45:31 PDT 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I've tried using dosbox lately to wast some time playing some old DOS-based games, primarily the XCOM series. I emerge'd dosbox, which downloaded v0.70 and compiled it and installed it. However, when I ran it from a shell prompt, I was given an error about a missing sound device (/dev/snd/seq), and generally just faced with a black dosbox window with nothing going on.

Code:
$ ls -l /dev/snd/
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 Jul 14 17:12 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 26 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 27 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D3c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 20 Jul 14 17:12 pcmC0D4p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Jul 14 17:12 timer

I'd tried symlinking all of those devices into a /dev/snd/seq device but then saw errors that /dev/snd/seq wasn't a valid device, so removed the symlink.

On an alternate system (Ubuntu on the laptop) I was able to generate a dosbox configuration file (which I called dosbox.cfg), and have tried running that as well, testing every combination of CPU type and output (surface, opengl, etc)., and nothing seems to help. Thinking it was maybe an issue with the sound system, I also tried commenting out all sound options within the config file but still see the /dev/snd/seq warning upon starting up. There doesn't seem to be a flag to the 'configure' script to disable all sound options.

So I downloaded the source directly from dosbox.sf.net and compiled it, and other than installing the code in /usr/local/bin/ instead of /usr/games/bin/ for the emerge'd version, everything appeared to compile the same... except the manually-configured version would at least show me the initial start-up text in the dosbox window and I'd see the Z:\ prompt. However, the prompt would be super-laggy, and often it would take up to 5 minutes just to be able to type a mount command to make a C: entry and start to run XCOM. And typically in XCOM, windows would freeze, if the game started at all. Occasionally I'd see a 4DOS error about an overflow of interrupt 08h, but usually the game would at least start but then hang a few seconds into the game.

When faced with the empty black dosbox window, I've left it like that for up to an hour wondering if it was just some weird timing issue, and still wouldn't even get to the Z:\ prompt. Even with --enable-debug mode turned on, the debugger wasn't even printing any information.

dosemu wasn't an acceptable alternative since it doesn't do CPU slowing, and I'm determined to get dosbox running on gentoo.

When running 'configure' for manually compiling dosbox, I've tried disabling every flag mentioned within the script, and that hasn't helped. I occasionally have success (at least getting to the Z:\ prompt) when compiling with the --enable-debug flag, but when getting into graphics loops, the debugging has taken many minutes just to draw the opening Microprose logo on the screen as the debugger is spastically spewing out tons of information about writing graphics. Since XCOM is an entirely-visual game, debug mode wasn't going to help me.

My last attempt last night was to remove all of the --disable-* flags, and just use --enable-debug, and it compiled a 7.4MB executable (7,771,713 bytes) whereas the emerged executable was typically less than 2MB in size.

Can anyone make any suggestions or let me know what else I can post here to help solve this? I'm not sure where to start poking around, if it's a libsdl issue or a sound driver issue or what. I even considered installing vmware and looking for an actual MS-DOS guest operating system profile, but I thought I'd ask here first about getting dosbox running.

Thanks,
Ian
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm having trouble with dosbox Reply with quote

Quote:
When faced with the empty black dosbox window, I've left it like that for up to an hour wondering if it was just some weird timing issue, and still wouldn't even get to the Z:\ prompt. Even with --enable-debug mode turned on, the debugger wasn't even printing any information.

dosemu wasn't an acceptable alternative since it doesn't do CPU slowing, and I'm determined to get dosbox running on gentoo.

When running 'configure' for manually compiling dosbox, I've tried disabling every flag mentioned within the script, and that hasn't helped. I occasionally have success (at least getting to the Z:\ prompt) when compiling with the --enable-debug flag, but when getting into graphics loops, the debugging has taken many minutes just to draw the opening Microprose logo on the screen as the debugger is spastically spewing out tons of information about writing graphics. Since XCOM is an entirely-visual game, debug mode wasn't going to help me.

My last attempt last night was to remove all of the --disable-* flags, and just use --enable-debug, and it compiled a 7.4MB executable (7,771,713 bytes) whereas the emerged executable was typically less than 2MB in size.

I didn't do anything strange to get this thing working, anyway, without a config file, you should get it started. If not, then there is a problem.

The default should just boot up a dos shell, regardless that your games work or not on it (here is when you would need to configure it). I am not too much into dosbox nor gaming, and I never saw such strange issue myself. Maybe you could try looking into the dosbox forums. There might someone around there that can help you, or maybe someone who had the same problem:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=d58d85876a9d2275a01d7a4b91bd8758
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
without a config file, you should get it started. If not, then there is a problem.

... which is exactly why I posted a message here asking for help :wink:

Just running 'dosbox' at the prompt will, 9 times out of 10, give me a new dosbox window, all black, with nothing in it, nothing going on. In the remaining 1 time out of 10, I'll get the Z:\ prompt, but it'll be severely lagged, and my game will not play.

I've looked through the vogons forums and will perhaps post there as well, but as dosbox runs perfectly okay on my Ubuntu installation on the laptop, as well as on my wife's WinXP machine, I figured this was a gentoo issue and figured this would be the best place to post my questions. Every vogons post I found when searching for "hang", "locked", "blank" etc keywords all had the same response: try varying 'output' settings (surface/overlay/opengl) and cpu 'core' types (normal/simple/dynamic/auto), but none of those combinations has worked in gentoo.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w98 wrote:
Quote:
without a config file, you should get it started. If not, then there is a problem.

... which is exactly why I posted a message here asking for help :wink:

Just running 'dosbox' at the prompt will, 9 times out of 10, give me a new dosbox window, all black, with nothing in it, nothing going on. In the remaining 1 time out of 10, I'll get the Z:\ prompt, but it'll be severely lagged, and my game will not play.

I've looked through the vogons forums and will perhaps post there as well, but as dosbox runs perfectly okay on my Ubuntu installation on the laptop, as well as on my wife's WinXP machine, I figured this was a gentoo issue and figured this would be the best place to post my questions. Every vogons post I found when searching for "hang", "locked", "blank" etc keywords all had the same response: try varying 'output' settings (surface/overlay/opengl) and cpu 'core' types (normal/simple/dynamic/auto), but none of those combinations has worked in gentoo.

I see, then it must be something with your configuration in the gentoo installation, though I have no idea were to start looking. Just to be sure that your system is sane, could you post your emerge --info?

Also, have you correctly configured your video driver and such stuff?

I don't know if we will be able to narrow the problem, but we can try. Another thing you could try is to download a precompiled rpm for dosbox, and uncompress it in your home. In case it runs ok, then we can be sure that the problem in in the binaries that your Gentoo is producing. If they fail the same, then the problem is something with gentoo's configuration, either graphics, sound or whatever.
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
could you post your emerge --info?
Code:
Portage 2.1.2.9 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.5-r4, 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:00:01 +0000
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [enabled]
ccache version 2.4 [disabled]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.33-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r7
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.23b
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.21
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distcc distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/gentoo/ http://mirror.usu.edu/mirrors/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.usu.edu/mirrors/gentoo/ "
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acpi aim alsa apache2 apm audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bluetooth bonobo bzip2 bzlib cairo calendar cdb cddb cdparanoia cdr clamav cli cracklib crypt cscope ctype cups curl curlwrappers dbm dbus dbx doc dri dvd dvdr dvdread encode evo examples exif fam fastcgi ffmpeg firefox flac foomaticdb fortran ftp gcj gd gdbm geoip gif glut gnome gnustep gphoto2 gpm gps gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml hal iconv icq imagemagick imap imlib inifile innodb iodbc ipod ipv6 isdnlog jabber java javascript jbig jikes jpeg jpeg2k json junit kde ldap libg++ libwww mad maildir mailwrapper mcal mhash midi milter mime mmap mmx mng mono mp3 mpeg mplayer msn mudflap musicbrainz mysql mysqli ncurses nls nptl nptlonly odbc ofx ogg openal opengl openmp pam pcmcia pcre pda pdf perl php png ppds pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime radeon rdesktop readline reflection ruby samba scanner session sharedmem simplexml sndfile soap speex spell spl sqlite sqlite3 sse sse2 ssl svga symlink tcpd theora tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb vcd vhosts videos vim-syntax vorbis wifi win32codecs wmf wxwindows x264 x86 xine xinetd xml xmlrpc xorg xpm xprint xsl xv xvid yahoo zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

i92guboj wrote:
Also, have you correctly configured your video driver and such stuff?
Yes, I have an AGP ATI Radeon X850 Pro. I can't run my glxinfo command via SSH (I'm at work at the moment), but I'm running with OpenGL, not Mesa, via the gentoo-wiki (and associated links) instructions for getting the ATI drivers working; when I run the glxgears application, I get reported numbers in the thousands.

My system, on a whole, is quite stable. I primarily use the machine for web/graphics/music development and lots and lots of programming (thus the long list of USE keywords above).

Quote:
I don't know if we will be able to narrow the problem, but we can try. Another thing you could try is to download a precompiled rpm for dosbox, and uncompress it in your home. In case it runs ok, then we can be sure that the problem in in the binaries that your Gentoo is producing. If they fail the same, then the problem is something with gentoo's configuration, either graphics, sound or whatever.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable, I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight, as I can't test this while at work. ("One of these days" maybe I'll work on a VNC connection to my system at home...)

For good measure, the last version of the dosbox.cfg I was playing with:
Code:
[sdl]

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=normal,lower
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
memsize=32
machine=vga
captures=capture

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none
The only settings I've really played with from the default configuration it created for me were:
sd1->output (I've tried every setting, in combination with cpu->core)
cpu->core (I've tried every setting, in every combination with sd1->output)
dosbox->memsize (tried at 16, 32 and 64, but got a warning at 64 saying it only supported a max of 63)
mixer->nosound (I tried setting this to true to work around the /dev/snd/seq warnings to no avail)

Thanks for any additional thoughts.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your system has nothing strange at basic configuration level. Your dosbox config seems quite reasonable as well. Let's give a try to some precompiled binaries just in case.

The only thing that is not familiar for me when using dosbox, is a little detail: your kernel is SMP enabled. I never tried dosbox on a smp enabled kernel, though I have no reason to think that that would be the problem either. It might worth a shot, though.
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so we have progress.

I downloaded the RPM, unpacked it, and ran the binary, and the game at least ran. No serious lagging as before, but I still see the sound warnings, and lots of other text:
Code:
$ dosbox -conf dosbox.cfg
CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.cfg
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
ALSA:Can't open sequencer
MIDI:Opened device:none
Can't find matching event for hand_speedlock
Can't find matching event for hand_video
Can't find matching event for key_lessthan
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_0
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_1
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_1-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_1+
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_0-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_0+
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_2
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_3
Can't find matching event for jbutton_1_0
Can't find matching event for jbutton_1_1
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_2-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_2+
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_3-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_0_3+
Can't find matching event for jaxis_1_0-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_1_0+
Can't find matching event for jaxis_1_1-
Can't find matching event for jaxis_1_1+
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_4
Can't find matching event for jbutton_0_5
Can't find matching event for jhat_0_0_0
Can't find matching event for jhat_0_0_3
Can't find matching event for jhat_0_0_2
Can't find matching event for jhat_0_0_1
Write 0 to rom at fffea

And I see that 'write 0 to rom' message repeated every now and then.

The sound was stuttering pretty badly, so I tweaked a few options within the dosbox.cfg file, and now it's playing nice and smoothly with the precompiled binary.

So now that we've pinpointed that it's indeed something on my gentoo machine, where do I start looking?

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Here's my video card info that I couldn't give earlier today:
Code:
# /opt/bin/fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON X850 PRO
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

# glxgears
35621 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7124.009 FPS
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it *must be*, I think, something that affects at compile time. Since the Gentoo machine is the same for the self-compiled and the pre-compiled version, and only one of them works.

Your CFLAGS and such stuff is fine, your glibc and gcc versions are ok, nothing strange I can see. Let's me know the output of this command, so I can compare with my versions and USE flags, and see if there is any important difference:

Code:

$ emerge -pv alsa-lib libpng libsdl sdl-net sdl-sound dosbox

These are the direct dependencies of dosbox.

Oh, another experiment you can try is to compile it yourself in your home directory. Configure is with something like ./configure --prefix=$HOME/test and install it there. Then try and see if manual compilation works. The ebuild is quite simple, but if the manual compilation works, we can assume that there is something wrong in the ebuild. Just an idea.

Mmm, a quick thought: have you compiled libsdl and dosbox with opengl support?
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Let's me know the output of this command
Code:

$ emerge -pv alsa-lib libpng libsdl sdl-net sdl-sound dosbox
Code:
# emerge -pv alsa-lib libpng libsdl sdl-net sdl-sound dosbox

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14_rc2  USE="doc -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.18  USE="doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.11-r2  USE="X alsa opengl svga xv -aalib -arts -dga -directfb -esd -fbcon -ggi -libcaca -nas -noaudio -noflagstrip -nojoystick -novideo -oss -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-net-1.2.5  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-sound-1.0.1-r2  USE="flac mp3 mpeg speex vorbis -mikmod -physfs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] games-emulation/dosbox-0.70  USE="alsa opengl -debug -hardened" 0 kB

Total: 6 packages (6 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
So given the 'R' column it'd simply recompile everything, as I've already installed all of these with my current USE flags. Maybe I'll try recompiling them anyhow, but I've just installed the SDL software within the past week or so just for dosbox, so my USE flags haven't changed at all since I last built them. ALSA sound has worked fine, OpenGL has worked fine, etc.

Quote:
compile it yourself in your home directory. Configure is with something like ./configure --prefix=$HOME/test and install it there. Then try and see if manual compilation works.
As mentioned in my first message here, I've downloaded the source tarball directly and built it manually and that version hasn't worked either -- the manually-built version (tried with varying flags, with/without --enable-debug etc) will sometimes get me to the Z:\ prompt, but then hang and be useless within 10 seconds or less.

Quote:
have you compiled libsdl and dosbox with opengl support?
Yeah, as I say above, I've only just added the libsdl software within the past week or so as dependencies for dosbox. I tried the binary version last night with the graphic support set to opengl and it made the graphics pretty blurry, but I didn't try the openglng setting. Granted, the native resolution of XCOM is 320x240, so scaling that up had to adjust a lot of things graphically, but I found the advmame2x setting just fine for the jagged corners, etc.

Thanks again for your patience in going through all of this with me.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that midi is not working. Are you using the alsa-driver or alsa in kernel? What is the output of
Code:
emerge -pv alsa-driver
I think you should try to set the midi useflag for alsa-driver. (This does not explain why the rpm version is working though :) )
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# emerge -pv alsa-lib libpng libsdl sdl-net sdl-sound dosbox

[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14_rc2  USE="doc -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.18  USE="doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.11-r2  USE="X alsa opengl svga xv -aalib -arts -dga -directfb -esd -fbcon -ggi -libcaca -nas -noaudio -noflagstrip -nojoystick -novideo -oss -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-net-1.2.5  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-sound-1.0.1-r2  USE="flac mp3 mpeg speex vorbis -mikmod -physfs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] games-emulation/dosbox-0.70  USE="alsa opengl -debug -hardened" 0 kB

Well, I put mine here, in case you want to compare, The only thing that seems to be a possible cause of this problem is some use flag or capability that some libs should have, but it has not. This is, at compile time. But this is strange. Usually, those problems should end in compilation errors. Runtime errors like this one are more difficult to solve.

You could try to use my USE flags to re-emerge those packages, and see if that makes any difference. If it works, then it is time to revert them one by one, until you find the culprit. Again, there is no guarantee that this will work at all. It is just another shot in the dark.

Code:

[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14a-r1  USE="midi -alisp -debug -doc" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.18-r1  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.12  USE="X alsa directfb fbcon ggi opengl xv -aalib -arts -dga -esd -libcaca -nas -noaudio -noflagstrip -nojoystick -novideo -oss (-svga) -xinerama" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-net-1.2.7  366 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/sdl-sound-1.0.1-r2  USE="mikmod mp3 mpeg speex vorbis -flac -physfs" 996 kB [?=>0]
[ebuild   R   ] games-emulation/dosbox-0.70  USE="alsa opengl -debug -hardened" 913 kB [?=>0]
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
What is the output of
Code:
emerge -pv alsa-driver
Code:
# emerge -pv alsa-driver

[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2-r1  USE="midi -debug -oss" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci -ad1816a -ad1848 -ad1848-lib -ad1889 -adlib -als100 -als300 (-aoa) (-aoa-fabric-layout) (-aoa-onyx) (-aoa-soundbus) (-aoa-soundbus-i2s) (-aoa-tas) (-aoa-toonie) (-armaaci) -asihpi (-at91-soc) (-at91-soc-eti-b1-wm8731) (-au1x00) -au8810 -au8820 -au8830 -azt2320 -azt3328 -cmi8330 -cs4231 -cs4231-lib -cs4232 -cs4236 -cs4281 -cs46xx -cs5535audio -darla20 -darla24 -dt019x -dummy -echo3g -es1688 -es18xx -es968 -fm801-tea575x -gina20 -gina24 -gusclassic -gusextreme -gusmax (-harmony) -hdsp -hdspm -ice1712 -ice1724 -indigo -indigodj -indigoio -interwave -interwave-stb -korg1212 -layla20 -layla24 -loopback -mia -miro -mixart -mona -mpu401 -msnd-pinnacle -mtpav -mts64 -nm256 -opl3sa2 -opti92x-ad1848 -opti92x-cs4231 -opti93x -pc98-cs4232 -pcsp -pcxhr -pdaudiocf -pdplus -portman2x4 (-powermac) (-pxa2xx-i2sound) (-pxa2xx-soc) (-pxa2xx-soc-corgi) (-pxa2xx-soc-poodle) (-pxa2xx-soc-spitz) (-pxa2xx-soc-tosa) -riptide -rme32 -rme96 -rme9652 -s3c2410 -sa11xx-uda1341 -sb16 -sb8 -sbawe -seq-dummy -serial-u16550 -sgalaxy -soc -sonicvibes -sscape (-sun-amd7930) (-sun-cs4231) (-sun-dbri) -usb-usx2y -virmidi -vx222 -vxpocket -wavefront" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
I'll try the midi flag, and the flags from i92guboj when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again for all the help,
ian
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w98 wrote:
Code:
# emerge -pv alsa-driver

[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2-r1  USE="midi -debug -oss" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci -ad1816a -ad1848 -ad1848-lib -ad1889 -adlib -als100 -als300 (-aoa) (-aoa-fabric-layout) (-aoa-onyx) (-aoa-soundbus) (-aoa-soundbus-i2s) (-aoa-tas) (-aoa-toonie) (-armaaci) -asihpi (-at91-soc) (-at91-soc-eti-b1-wm8731) (-au1x00) -au8810 -au8820 -au8830 -azt2320 -azt3328 -cmi8330 -cs4231 -cs4231-lib -cs4232 -cs4236 -cs4281 -cs46xx -cs5535audio -darla20 -darla24 -dt019x -dummy -echo3g -es1688 -es18xx -es968 -fm801-tea575x -gina20 -gina24 -gusclassic -gusextreme -gusmax (-harmony) -hdsp -hdspm -ice1712 -ice1724 -indigo -indigodj -indigoio -interwave -interwave-stb -korg1212 -layla20 -layla24 -loopback -mia -miro -mixart -mona -mpu401 -msnd-pinnacle -mtpav -mts64 -nm256 -opl3sa2 -opti92x-ad1848 -opti92x-cs4231 -opti93x -pc98-cs4232 -pcsp -pcxhr -pdaudiocf -pdplus -portman2x4 (-powermac) (-pxa2xx-i2sound) (-pxa2xx-soc) (-pxa2xx-soc-corgi) (-pxa2xx-soc-poodle) (-pxa2xx-soc-spitz) (-pxa2xx-soc-tosa) -riptide -rme32 -rme96 -rme9652 -s3c2410 -sa11xx-uda1341 -sb16 -sb8 -sbawe -seq-dummy -serial-u16550 -sgalaxy -soc -sonicvibes -sscape (-sun-amd7930) (-sun-cs4231) (-sun-dbri) -usb-usx2y -virmidi -vx222 -vxpocket -wavefront" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
I'll try the midi flag, and the flags from i92guboj when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again for all the help,
ian
This shows you are using the kernel alsa version. You should enable sequencer/midi support in the kernel
Code:
Symbol: SND_SEQUENCER [=n]
   Prompt: Sequencer support
     Defined at sound/core/Kconfig:19
     Depends on: !M68K && SOUND!=n && SND
         -> Sound
           -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
             -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=n]) 
     Selects: SND_TIMER

See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml for more information
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
This shows you are using the kernel alsa version. You should enable sequencer/midi support in the kernel

According to my .config file, I have both CONFIG_SND_TIMER and CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER building as modules, and have snd_timer as a running module right now:
Code:
 # lsmod | sort | grep snd
snd                    24568  6 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_ac97_bus            2048  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_ac97_codec         71200  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_intel8x0           19356  1
snd_page_alloc          5512  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_pcm                45444  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              12420  1 snd_pcm
soundcore               4064  1 snd
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you do:
Code:
modprobe snd_seq_device

BTW this is all to get rid of the /dev/snd/seq missing error message, but the fact that the rpm version works without it indicates that this is not the main source of your problem.
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
What happens when you do:
Code:
modprobe snd_seq_device
Code:
# modprobe snd_seq_device

# lsmod | grep snd_seq
snd_seq_device          4364  0
snd                    24568  7 snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

Quote:
BTW this is all to get rid of the /dev/snd/seq missing error message, but the fact that the rpm version works without it indicates that this is not the main source of your problem.
Yes, I definitely agree, since the precompiled binary gave the same /dev/snd/seq warning but sound still worked in XCOM.

I've re-emerged the packages with the same USE flags as i92guboj, so we'll see how it acts tonight when I get home.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: