Install gentoo with out killing OSX?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Install gentoo with out killing OSX? Reply with quote

I know the answer is probbly NO but just to make sure...

can i create a partion for gentoo without killing OSX? I thougt i herd of a program that can do this kind of thing on windoze (maybe linux), called partion magic or something like that.

O wait! i have a idea!

My iBook has both OSX and OS9 installed on it, dose that mean OS9 is on a seperate partion? Then i could kill OS9 (which i dont mind doing...) But still, even if it was, wouldent it be a rather small partion? Aggh... maybe that not a good idea
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I installed, I just wiped it clean and started over. then you can install os x with only the international packages you actually use. (saves 100mb of disk space). also keep in mind that linux will soon have the capability of reading hfs+ volumes. so in linux you'll be able to see all the files in your OS X partition.

I describe my ibook's partition set up here:

http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/ppc
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o allright... :wink:

nice page on what you did you get your iBook workin with gentoo, i have the same one so i'll definatly be lookin to it for reference

thats the nice thing about Macs, there all pretty much the same, i mean they dont have very many models, so its easy to wirte / follow instructions on how to get your hardware to work cause everyone has the same hardware, with PCs very few people have the exact same setup.
iMre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas:

I have an iBook 600 and plan to install gentoo linux onto it. I think your page the most informative on getting gentoo on a ppc, and to get linux on ppc overall. I am happy to see your guide, because I also plan to keep OS X, especially for language CD-Roms and such. And I am also a fan of seperate partitions.

I have printed most of the material on gentoo.org, and also all ibook and powerbook pages on linux-laptop.net. I plan to read the documentation, and start installing gentoo afterwards. I have decided by gentoo among the different distros, because gentoo has the best documentation. I think a distro is hard to install if there is little doc, and you have to get info from forums and firends.

Are their any issues you think I should be prepared for? Or are there any points you think it is a hard subject, and I should pay more attention to it? I have no real experience in Linux - I have a few mail accounts on Linux and Unix servers, so working in command line and the atmosphere is familiar, but I am decades behind your configuring a kernel while sleeping. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: