Mutt - grouping emails from mailing list
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Mutt - grouping emails from mailing list Reply with quote

Anyone know of a way to group emails from mailing list, either in diffrent folders in $HOME, or in how mutt displays them, as well as display which list they are from?
cynric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use mutt (yet), but in reading some stuff hoping to migrate I ran across Gentoo's Guide to mutt which answers how to sort mails into different folders. As for how mutt displays them, I'm pretty sure you can color and add your own, custom flag for mail items. This is done in the .muttrc file (as opposed to procmail for the sorting above). This link may be of help with regards to that: http://linuxbrit.co.uk/mutt/

Hopefully that helps some.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look at that tomorrow. Thanks.
gentuse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mutt - grouping emails from mailing list Reply with quote

Can you use procmail? Here's a rule the will group incoming messages by mailing list:
Code:
:0
* ^(Mailing-List: (contact|list)|Delivered-To: mailing list|X-BeenThere:) \/[^@]+
.lists.$MATCH/
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mutt - grouping emails from mailing list Reply with quote

gentuse wrote:
Can you use procmail? Here's a rule the will group incoming messages by mailing list:
Code:
:0
* ^(Mailing-List: (contact|list)|Delivered-To: mailing list|X-BeenThere:) \/[^@]+
.lists.$MATCH/

I've got procmail installed. I havn't ever dealt with it THAT much, but I'll look into that as well as the above. Thanks.
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly do you want to do?

If you just want to save all mail from a certain list to a certain mailbox, something like this should do
Code:

# save any mail addressed to GWN to Mail/gentoo-gwn
save-hook '~C gentoo-gwn@lists.gentoo.org' =gentoo-gwn
# save all email from SF announcements to Mail/sourceforge
save-hook '~f noreply@sourceforge.net' =sourceforge
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd like 1 of 2 things. Either I'd like it to group the emails by the "To:/From:" Fields, and later on into the account I grabed them from. This is what I would prefer, as well as listing the mailing list they are from (iunstead of the person who sent it), or maybe throwing them into a diffrent mailbox, but I'm still not sure on that one.

I tried the prior snippet of code
gentuse posted, and I've lost a few emails because of it, and really don't know why. I uncommented it from my procmailrc.

I've never dealt with diffrent mailboxes before, either (I currently only have the one in /var/spool/mail and a Mail dir in my homedir).
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you want to do is list them together in the inbox? Well, this is automatically done by mutt's superb thread detection and custom ordering.
(hit "o" in the menu, or look up order in "man muttrc")
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around some with the way it sorts stuff, but it seemed to not like the idea of grouping + threading. I'll look more into that in a little while.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: