View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman4300
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Gui for Portage??? Reply with quote

Just out of Curiosity...... is there a graphical front end to portage???

Not that i don't like emerging from the command line..... :wink: it would just be pretty nifty.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gui for Portage??? Reply with quote

stratman4300 wrote:
Just out of Curiosity...... is there a graphical front end to portage???

Not that i don't like emerging from the command line..... :wink: it would just be pretty nifty.

Yep, there are some.

You can look around for portato, kuroo, or porthole. Beware that kuroo liked to corrupt the portage database every now and then, I don't know if this is still true. Though at a first glance it might seem impressive, it is -or at least, used to be- pretty pretty buggy. Porthole is fine, though a bit slow, but at least, it works ok. But the porthole version in portage is outdated, and will not even work with the current portage, I think. So, use the cvs instead. No ebuild, sorry, just download it and use it in your home dir.

To download it do:
Code:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@porthole.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/porthole co -P trunk

then

Code:

cd trunk
./porthole -l -d ALL

Portato is way too limited and is not in portage. I don't know about its current state.

In any case, I would not rely too much on any of them. Their development is too slow and the command line tools work just ok.
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're a KDE fan, I tried kuroo at one point and it was pretty well done. I haven't tried any of the GTK ones though.
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gui for Portage??? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
Portato is way too limited and is not in portage. I don't know about its current state.

I just assume, your info is a little bit too old ;). Currently it should have more functionality than porthole (though I haven't tested the cvs version) =)
If you want to test it - it is in the sunrise overlay.
chaosfinity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged the masked porthole version in portage and it works fine with my portage tree, unless thats why klibs took so long to compile Lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: