Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a complete Gentoo installation, and it had worked perfectly until my last boot...
My system tries to mount /dev/hda7 (my root filesystem, ext3) on / at init process, but just gives a whole screen about newbie things for mount use and the error message
Code:

Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write
Give root password for maintance

I have searched the forums, but didn't find a solution... I don't even have wrong spaces in my /etc/fstab:
Code:

/dev/hda1      /windows   vfat      noatime,uid=1000,gid=1000      0 0
/dev/hda5      /boot      ext2      noatime         1 2
/dev/hda7      /      ext3      noatime            0 1
/dev/hda6      none      swap      sw            0 0

proc         /proc      proc      nodev,nosuid,noexec   0 0

/dev/hdb      /mnt/dvd1   auto      auto,ro   0 0
/dev/hdc      /mnt/dvd2   auto      auto,ro 0 0
/dev/sda1      /mnt/usb   auto      auto,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

shm         /dev/shm   tmpfs      nodev,nosuid,noexec   0 0

And anyways, if I had wrong spaces, everything worked fine with this fstab before, too.

BUT, there are two things that could give reasons...
1. I don't know what is written before the "newbie things for mount use and the error message" as I can't scroll up and unfortunately disabled my syslog... Is there another way to see what it says?
2. I updated my kernel... However, I imported my old config(2.6.21) with "make oldconfig" (into 2.6.22-r1) and must have made a mistake in configuring the new options... the screen output at boot level didn't work anymore until the kdm login appeared, but everything still worked. It's just that NOW I can't get any output with this kernel at booting, and so don't know if there's another error message.

However, the gentoo livecd can mount with read/write, but my gentoo installation just read-only... All I remember what I did in the session before was emerging a few things and browsing the web, so nothing special...

Does anyone have an advice?
Thanks for help in advance :-)

Last edited by BigBrain on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you suggest, there must be a problem with the new kernel, perhaps lacking support for fs, device, etc. What about chrooting in with LiveCD, copy the old bzImage + System.map back to /boot (or renaming current good/bad kernels, etc.), get the system back running on the old kernel and then starting with a fresh .config to upgrade? IIRC, I'm not sure you can use the old .config when crossing major kernel versions (e.g., 2.6.21-r3 --> 2.6.22-r1), only when changing releases within a version (e.g., 2.6.21-gentoo-r2 --> 2.6.21-gentoo-r3).
GWilliam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#NULL

Last edited by GWilliam on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Tipp: Styles ko:nnen schnell zum markierten Text hinzugefu:g Reply with quote

Well, the thing is... it CAN'T be the kernel, as I have booted it very often before my system refused to work (even the new kernel version)..
and I haven't changed any configuration or so, and I have rebuilded it around 4 times now with different (and one with completely new) configurations...

However, a few details about my system may be good:
- AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ (=> x86)
- ATI X1600 PRO (I don't see anything at system boot process)
- using baselayout-2(=>problem?)
- kernel-2.6.22-r2
- dual boot with windows

Well, some things may not seem to have a relation to the problem, but I added them just to make sure I don't miss any keypoints :-)
karafeka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with option rw in boot kernel options in grub (or lilo).

Like this:

kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.20-no2 root=/dev/hda3 rw
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tipp: Styles ko:nnen schnell zum markierten Text hinzuge Reply with quote

BigBrain wrote:
Well, the thing is... it CAN'T be the kernel, as I have booted it very often before my system refused to work (even the new kernel version)..
and I haven't changed any configuration or so, and I have rebuilded it around 4 times now with different (and one with completely new) configurations...
Perhaps the physical drive has developed problems, and/or the root fs has become otherwise corrupted? to rule this out, can you boot with livecd and run fsck on /dev/hda7?
BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF... I just passed the rw thing to the grub boot options and it worked though I never needed it before...
There are still a few errors though, but I think I can solve these myself, thanks for help to all :-)
BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just found out where the real problem was. I had installed baselayout-2 but did not update /etc/init.d/checkroot correctly, which resulted in it not being able to find some files. Now that's fixed ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: