View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vespira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: ati-drivers + 200M ATI chipset + external monitor Reply with quote

i am hoping someone can help me out here as i am in a bind... was in a traffic accident today and broke my display on my laptop :( i need it while i go on a business trip this coming week and insurance will not be able to get me a replacement beforehand...

the problem that i have is that i am attempting to configure XGL to operate on an external monitor. i managed to use the aticonfig --dtop=clone --force-monitors=crt2,crt1 to attempt to get the external as primary, but it does not seem to work.

i get my main gdm login screen on the broken LCD, and the black/white X default background on the external monitor.

i attempted to do aticonfig --help and tried playing around with various settings and could not make it workout. would probably be easier if i could SEE what was going on the LCD panel which is receiving the image...

does anyone here use an ATI 200M with an external monitor? i could really use some help with the configs. If need be i can post my xorg.conf, but it was just the one created with the aticonfig command.
mfocker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an external monitor with my ATi 200M.
Here is the part of my xorg.conf that does that:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
   Driver      "fglrx"
   Option       "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
   Option       "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
   Option       "DRI" "true"
   Option       "VideoOverlay" "on"
   Option       "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
   Option       "mtrr" "on"
   Option       "UseFastTLS" "0"
   Option       "DesktopSetup" "single"
# Define some values for my external monitor
   Option       "Mode2" "1280x1024,1024x768"
   Option       "HSync2" "30.0-95.0"
   Option       "VRefresh2" "50.0-160.0"
# Use the external monitor only
   Option       "ForceMonitors" "crt1,nolvds"
   #Option       "ForceMonitors" "lvds,none"
   BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Here is my complete xorg.conf
Vespira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: thank you billions Reply with quote

OMG... thanks. This did the trick.. i guess i totally overlooked the couple of settings that resolved the issue. You saved me a decent amount of work.

BTW... for the time i had it, the little Compaq V2000 was a worthy companion. After the accident i was expecting it to be lost completely, but aside from the fact that the screen is completely unreadable and the case itself was warped by about 5-6 degrees and no longer rests flat, it still works 100% with the external monitor. Going to be sad to part with it.

Right now i am trying to decide what to replace it with. Hopefully i can get $1000 from the settlement, but time will tell. I need to find something that will do XP and Linux fairly well, and for use as homePC i would like to have a fairly quick XGL/AIXGL setup. If anyone has suggestions on a good laptop, let me know.

As much as i love Apple, the macbooks for $1100 look appealing... until the integrated intel i950 video comes into the picture. i have heard both good and bad regarding this adapter with AIXGL. Anyone have firsthand experience?
AdShea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer compaq laptops are pretty nice, and have nvidia graphics, however good luck getting XP on them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: