View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

For the last while I've been experiencing complete lock-ups of by computer.

I've running
Tyan Tiger Mobo
Dual AMD 246 Opterons
1Gb Ram
Sparkle Nvidia 7600, 512MB
Nvidia Module 100.14.09
Kernel 2.6.21-r4
Xorg 7.2

I've tried everything. I can think of to fix it. The only I've seem that helps is using the NV module. This is quite madding. So it must be related to the Nvidia module. Has anyone got a fix. I've just tried Kernels 2.6.17.-r4, 2.6.20-r8 and I still get the same problem. I tried to use NvAGP = 0 which disables AGP Support, and that didn't work. Now I've set it to NvAGP = 2 which uses AGPGART if possible, this also didn't work.

Oh and I notice that most of my crashes occur when playing games, kstars, and google earth.

--
DWW
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check ram with memtest. Also check if any power to the card is plugged in (speaks from experience).
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
Check ram with memtest. Also check if any power to the card is plugged in (speaks from experience).

Done both, so we can eliminate that from the possible causes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
DWW
BaYGoN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try upgrading the Nvidia module to version 100.14.11
I've had experienced lockups using the 100.14.09 too.

[]'s
BaYGoN
Linux User #433896
HP DV6-6190US / Linux 3.4.6-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 10 13:19:26 BRT 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
"The destiny of every guru is to be a noob for eternity"
nizar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaYGoN wrote:

[]'s
BaYGoN

This also didn't help in my case.

any solution? (meanwhile, reverted to nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r1)

thanks.
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nizar wrote:
BaYGoN wrote:

[]'s
BaYGoN

This also didn't help in my case.

any solution? (meanwhile, reverted to nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r1)

thanks.

Tried to downgrade to the 9755-r1, still have the same issue.

--
bruce
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it ab laptop?
madpinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
is it ab laptop?

DancesWithWords wrote:

I've running
Tyan Tiger Mobo
Dual AMD 246 Opterons
1Gb Ram
Nvidia Module 100.14.09
Kernel 2.6.21-r4
Xorg 7.2

Looks like a Desktop/server
joaander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords: I have *almost exactly* the same hardware as you. A Tyan K8W board with Dual Opteron 246's, except I've only got a lowly Geforce 6800 GT. I too experience crashes when playing certain games, whether it is under windows or linux. With very thorough testing, I am 99.9% confident now that it is the AGP bridge chip overheating that causes the freeze. I have confirmed this by putting a temperature sensor on the heatsink for that chip and crashes always occur when the temp starts reading higher than 135 F.

I have "solved" my crashing problem by putting a beefier fan in the front of my case. When the weather gets really really warm, this isn't enough and I need to remove the front faceplate on my case to allow more airflow in over the AGP bridge. Usually, that is enough to make any game playable except when inside temperatures start climbing above 85 F. One of the earlier things I tried was underclocking the HyperTransport from CPU0 to the AGP bridge. This did seem to help a little bit, but it wasn't sufficient to make certain games playable again.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

madpinger wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
is it ab laptop?

DancesWithWords wrote:

I've running
Tyan Tiger Mobo
Dual AMD 246 Opterons
1Gb Ram
Nvidia Module 100.14.09
Kernel 2.6.21-r4
Xorg 7.2

Looks like a Desktop/server

hey, give me a break, it is an good sign if I can read after studying advanced intergal and differential calculus for 10 hours a day...
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having locks on an machine with an nvidia card. I have a 4800+ X2 amd64. The thing that fixed it for me was tuning off NUMA support in the kernel. If your setup only has memory directly attached to one processor you might try the same thing to see if it helps.
st0ned
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

DancesWithWords wrote:

I've running
Tyan Tiger Mobo
Dual AMD 246 Opterons
1Gb Ram
Nvidia Module 100.14.09
Kernel 2.6.21-r4
Xorg 7.2

any luck with this? i'm running pretty much the same, dual amd 246 opteron, 4 gb ram and have recently added an xfx geforce 7600. since adding the new gfx card i am experiencing constant lock ups.
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

st0ned wrote:
DancesWithWords wrote:

I've running
Tyan Tiger Mobo
Dual AMD 246 Opterons
1Gb Ram
Nvidia Module 100.14.09
Kernel 2.6.21-r4
Xorg 7.2

any luck with this? i'm running pretty much the same, dual amd 246 opteron, 4 gb ram and have recently added an xfx geforce 7600. since adding the new gfx card i am experiencing constant lock ups.

See the following post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559068-highlight-.html

It has what I've gone through so far. I'll be post more there on Wednesday or Thursday.

--
DWW
desowin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it should go into this thread but I get complete lockup when switch to console (ie. ctrl+alt+f2) and then go back to X (ctrl+alt+f7)
if I kill X session whilst in console and start new one, then it works without harm
can it be fixed or it's something what nvidia should fix?
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joaander wrote:
DancesWithWords: I have *almost exactly* the same hardware as you. A Tyan K8W board with Dual Opteron 246's, except I've only got a lowly Geforce 6800 GT. I too experience crashes when playing certain games, whether it is under windows or linux. With very thorough testing, I am 99.9% confident now that it is the AGP bridge chip overheating that causes the freeze. I have confirmed this by putting a temperature sensor on the heatsink for that chip and crashes always occur when the temp starts reading higher than 135 F.

I have "solved" my crashing problem by putting a beefier fan in the front of my case. When the weather gets really really warm, this isn't enough and I need to remove the front faceplate on my case to allow more airflow in over the AGP bridge. Usually, that is enough to make any game playable except when inside temperatures start climbing above 85 F. One of the earlier things I tried was underclocking the HyperTransport from CPU0 to the AGP bridge. This did seem to help a little bit, but it wasn't sufficient to make certain games playable again.

i had the same problem with my asrock 939-dual sata2. i solved it by putting a 60mm fan on top of the chipset heatsink.
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser wrote:
i had the same problem with my asrock 939-dual sata2. i solved it by putting a 60mm fan on top of the chipset heatsink.
I'll give that a try. There are some advantages to working in a computer store :-) I can get what I need quick. Will post in the next few days to let you know if it worked. As of now I'm still having issues.

--
DancesWithWords
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords wrote:
truekaiser wrote:
I'll give that a try. There are some advantages to working in a computer store :-) I can get what I need quick. Will post in the next few days to let you know if it worked. As of now I'm still having issues.

--
DancesWithWords

So I did as this suggested and still no love. :-(, Still lock ups on games, kstars, googleearth. I does not matter if I'm in KDE, Gnome, or pekwm. This must be and Xorg or nvidia issue.

--
DWW
novymir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

I'm getting this too. My findings so far -

- Same thing on both standard Gentoo & Sabayon.
- Stops happening when using the Xorg nv driver
- It doesn't happen in Ubuntu or any other distro I've tried of the past couple of months (I get frustrated with every other distro and come back to gentoo after a week or so).
- It started happening around August or so.
- I'm using exactly the same kernel .config for the past year so I doubt its that.
- It isn't reproducible, ie it happens completely randomly as far as I can tell.

I've got an AMDx2, ASUS Motherboard, GeForce 7300 GS.

Can't wait until the Nuveau is working well and we can ditch this binary driver rubbish....

MXV
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

novymir wrote:

- It doesn't happen in Ubuntu or any other distro I've tried of the past couple of months (I get frustrated with every other distro and come back to gentoo after a week or so).
- I'm using exactly the same kernel .config for the past year so I doubt its that.
- It isn't reproducible, ie it happens completely randomly as far as I can tell.

Can't wait until the Nuveau is working well and we can ditch this binary driver rubbish....

MXV

Well I'm beginning to give up. I've decided to buy a ATI based card and give that a go. I posted to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559068-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-75.html in hopes that they might be able to help but that is hopeless. It seems we have gone as far as we can without some expert help. We need concrete ways of gathering info on exactly what is happening at the time of our various lock ups. That info then has be analyzed by ppl who know how to read the debug out. But at this stage I can even get anyone to tell how to do this and who should look at it. This is hugely frustrating.

--
DWW
hpeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

novymir wrote:

MXV

This is a known bug it effects users running smp systems with the Geforce 7300GS i suffer from it to. :(
The good news is Nvidia has been able to reproduce it. The bad news is they haven't yet come up with a fix for it.
So some day it should be fixed but based on Nvidia's past peformance it could be many months. :(

Harley
dmead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the exact same problem but with a 2ghz athlon xp and a 6800 OC

have you guys checked your system messages in /var/log/messages?

does it say dma timeout with one or more of your disks?
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting DMA timeouts from your disks, that is either an hdparm issue or a hardware issue with your drives.
novymir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

hpeters wrote:

This is a known bug it effects users running smp systems with the Geforce 7300GS i suffer from it to. :(
The good news is Nvidia has been able to reproduce it. The bad news is they haven't yet come up with a fix for it.
So some day it should be fixed but based on Nvidia's past peformance it could be many months. :(

Harley

I can confirm that the new Nvidia beta driver - 100.14.23 - fixes the issue (for me at any rate). Hopefully, there will be a stable release soon!

MXV
hpeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

novymir wrote:

I can confirm that the new Nvidia beta driver - 100.14.23 - fixes the issue (for me at any rate). Hopefully, there will be a stable release soon!

MXV

The 169.04 beta driver fixed it for me.

Harley
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia lockups Reply with quote

novymir wrote:

MXV

This driver seems to work for me as well. My specs:
2.6.23-gentoo-r3 SMP x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] (rev a1)

I'll let you know if it locks up again. I was gonna sell this card and switch over to ATI, but if this works I'll stay with Nvidia.
The open source drivers look really really interesting though. Too bad they aren't ready just yet...

[Update 18th of dec]
The new driver didn't fix my problems. It still freezes and locks up.
I also tried the new 169.04 driver. This resulted in an immediate freeze after starting glxgears => reboot...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: