X.Org on Powerbook G4 12"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liu.pei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: X.Org on Powerbook G4 12" Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm reading online documents in order to prepare to install X.Org on my Powerbook G4 12" which already running Gentoo Linux 2007.0 with kernel 2.6.15 (I will upgrade the kernel once the desktop is fully installed).

Here's the information taken from Mac OS X:

• Model: Powerbook6,8
  • Processor: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
  • nVidia GeForce FX Go5200
  • LCD 1024x768 32bits

I was wondering about the monitor configuration especially the values I should set for HorizSync and VertRefresh. Can anyone be of any help for me because I know bad values could severly damage the display unit.

Any other suggestions or experiences about installing X.Org with further XFCE desktop would be welcome.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the xac tool to create an xorg.conf for you. You'll probably need to emerge it first.
To bad you have an nvidia gpu. There are no binary drivers from nvidia for ppc and the opensource driver doesn't support 3D acceleration goodies.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
liu.pei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
Try using the xac tool to create an xorg.conf for you. You'll probably need to emerge it first.
To bad you have an nvidia gpu. There are no binary drivers from nvidia for ppc and the opensource driver doesn't support 3D acceleration goodies.

Hi,

First, thank you for your quick answer. I have another question but not completely related to this topic: I need to buy an AGP 8x graphics card (to replace a defunct GeForce TI4200 one) for a desktop PC, would it be better to buy an ATI or nVidia graphic-card regarding to manufacturers' and/or open-source drivers and the fact it is an AGP card ?

I'll try the semi-automatic xorg.conf generation. Anyway, I had planned to install the open-source drivers first and when the laptop runs X to get into nvidia drivers installation...

What I'm trying to do is to install a X system as quick as possible to be more confortable to continue installing the laptop. I would like to use XFCE but I'm wondering if I must first install a simple-to-configure window manager such as XFCE or just start with XFWM.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ppc it's better to buy ATI, for x86... we'll either should do. ATI's drivers have improved a good deal I've heard. Nvidia used to be the better deal, but I have no idea how things stand these days.

XFWM is the window manager of the XFCE desktop environment. If you install XFCE you'll have XFWM too. If you want a quick and easy wm with little dependencies you could give fluxbox a try.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
hawaiian717
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: X.Org on Powerbook G4 12" Reply with quote

liu.pei wrote:
I was wondering about the monitor configuration especially the values I should set for HorizSync and VertRefresh. Can anyone be of any help for me because I know bad values could severly damage the display unit.

I have the same model. My HorizSync value is 30-70 and my VertRefresh value is 50-160. I can post my whole xorg.conf if it would help. I used Xorgautoconfig to generate it.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xac is the new Xorgautoconfig. :) If you could give it a try and let me know if it works for you, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
prairie_dad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: same problem, different machine Reply with quote

I have a "quicksilver" G4 tower 733, with, Apple's web site says, nvidia geforce 2mx (32 MB.) (Edit -- but oddly enough, lspci, which must be definitive?, says it has a Radeon 7500, with the RV200 chipset....isn't that odd?)

I haven't had any success yet using any of the xorg cofig tools discussed in gentoo's xorg documentation: xorgcfg or xorgconfig, nor making the .conf by hand, etc. looking forward to trying the new version of xorgautoconfig, of which I only learned today. (Edit, that didn't work last night either....sorry)

Why do so many of the horiz and vert sync rate categories overlap? The studio display has vert 75, horiz 79.9 something, but these values fall within the bounds of several of one's choices in xorgcfg. so which to choose? (Edit -- and the range chosen in xac's xorg.conf for the vert is only 50-60, I think.)

I know there are proprietary drivers for this card, but are there open source ones as well, like fglrx for ati cards? Nvidia's web site says there's a version 1.0-96xx, while gentoo documentation says nvidia-drivers-1.0.7185, can it just be that our docs are a little out of date...? (Edit--I guess that's all moot, so now the question is radeon vs. fglrx, any thoughts...)

thanks, I think the display is just about the last problem, everything is all compiled at last.

well, there is still Java to deal with, but ...
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: same problem, different machine Reply with quote

prairie_dad wrote:
I have a "quicksilver" G4 tower 733, with, Apple's web site says, nvidia geforce 2mx (32 MB.) (Edit -- but oddly enough, lspci, which must be definitive?, says it has a Radeon 7500, with the RV200 chipset....isn't that odd?)

Perhaps someone changed it without your knowledge?

Quote:
I haven't had any success yet using any of the xorg cofig tools discussed in gentoo's xorg documentation: xorgcfg or xorgconfig, nor making the .conf by hand, etc. looking forward to trying the new version of xorgautoconfig, of which I only learned today. (Edit, that didn't work last night either....sorry)

Have you tried xac?

Quote:
I know there are proprietary drivers for this card, but are there open source ones as well, like fglrx for ati cards? Nvidia's web site says there's a version 1.0-96xx, while gentoo documentation says nvidia-drivers-1.0.7185, can it just be that our docs are a little out of date...? (Edit--I guess that's all moot, so now the question is radeon vs. fglrx, any thoughts...)

You are on PPC, so there are no proprietary drivers available for any card. You can only use the open source radeon driver.
liu.pei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used xorgcfg to generate a skeleton of xorg.conf and then fbset to setup de screen to 1024x768 VESA mode for a "generic" display not defining HorizSync and VertRefresh values at all since I have to laptop. The 1024x768 resolution is not setup correctly.

I followed www.linux-france.org/macintosh HOWTOs to setup de keyboard. The keymap for the console keyboard suits very well without any effort but unfortunately the keymap for X.Org does not work even if it improves a little bit the use of the keyboard under X.

Setup of X.Org on a Powerbook is the most awfull and I wonder if I'll succeed to setup it correctely one day.

I tried to find xac with emerge but I did not succeed so I did not try this tool, sorry.
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liu.pei wrote:
I tried to find xac with emerge but I did not succeed so I did not try this tool, sorry.

It's in x11-misc/xac.
vnv_lain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: for the curious... Reply with quote

xac worked REALLY well creating my xorg.conf file. Ran it on an old Powerbook 12' Alum 867 MHz. Typed in startx and loaded Ratpoison no problem.

No more manual editing...I remember I used to spend a long time back in the days setting up X's conf file.

Thanks for the nifty tip. :)
x30n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint xac worked fine on my 6.8.

The lack of a native 3D driver is not too bad. I´m happy with a load of shells ;D

I´m really impressed by xac. I´m used to very bad autoconfigs by these programs ... but thats maybe only on PCs who knows.

cu
x30n
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying xac! Please let me know if xac doesn't work for you, or if you have a better suggestion for some of its defaults. It should also work on x86 and amd64 (but is a bit less reliable).
jp10hp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
Thanks for trying xac! Please let me know if xac doesn't work for you, or if you have a better suggestion for some of its defaults. It should also work on x86 and amd64 (but is a bit less reliable).

Xac worked well on my iBook G4 mid 2005, I made by hand only few and not critical adjustments:
1) added Option "DynamicClocks" "true" for radeon driver
2) as X searches for a <default pointer> (xac only configures the synaptics device), I add an extra input device with the standard driver "Mouse". In any case X works.
3) some minor adjustments for synaptics options: the most important was adding the Option "TwoFingerVertScrolling" "on", now it works fine!

Actually I have found xac very useable with respect to other similar tools, it is a very good starting point for configuring X without boring loss of time. thanx for developing, Cheers.

P.S now I'm interested in dual monitor config ;)
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
is the kernel aty128fb having issue with the x11-video-ati-driver ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: