Can Compiz-Fusion do this?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Can Compiz-Fusion do this? Reply with quote

I've been wanting to get one of the great new 3D desktops running for quite a while, but they always made a mess of my lovely current config. So, I wanted to ask the experts if C-F can do the following:
- I have four workspaces arranged in a square with a terminal (Eterm) in the background of each of them.
- To move between workspaces, I move the mouse to the edge of the screen.
- Therefore I don't want the cube at all, but rather a 2x2 plane arrangement with slides.
- I need those terminals as background and I need them to not show up on kicker, not be alt-tab'able, etc.

Can it be done?
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Compiz-Fusion do this? Reply with quote

termite wrote:
I've been wanting to get one of the great new 3D desktops running for quite a while, but they always made a mess of my lovely current config. So, I wanted to ask the experts if C-F can do the following:
- I have four workspaces arranged in a square with a terminal (Eterm) in the background of each of them.
- Therefore I don't want the cube at all, but rather a 2x2 plane arrangement with slides.
- I need those terminals as background and I need them to not show up on kicker, not be alt-tab'able, etc.

Can it be done?
That's possible.
Just don't let the terminal be controlled by your windowmanager and set it to be always in background.
And you can configure compiz fusion to arrange your desktops in one layer, it changes automatically when you move the mouse to one edge of the screen.
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by
Quote:
don't let the terminal be controlled by your windowmanager
?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Compiz-Fusion do this? Reply with quote

buddabrod wrote:
termite wrote:

Can it be done?
That's possible.
Just don't let the terminal be controlled by your windowmanager and set it to be always in background.
And you can configure compiz fusion to arrange your desktops in one layer, it changes automatically when you move the mouse to one edge of the screen.

All windows *should* be controlled by the window manager, and it IS reponsability of the wm to do such tasks. The opposite behaviour means that the application is not EWMH compliant, and as such, it is another problem to deal with. It will work better or worse depending on the wm you use. Examples of broken applications are gkrellm or xmms, which have problems on some wm's cause the completely ignore the wm hints and do things on their own. Fortunatelly, most wm's are smart enough to be able to fix the behaviour of these broken applications.

So, unless drawing into the root window directly (torsmo, root-tail, conky and such things), all the windows should listen the the wm hints, and not ignore them. I don't know if eterm can do that either (never used it for more than 5 mins unless forced to).

That said, I don't know if compiz or any of its children can do that. I suppose that they should have some property to set window stickyness across pages/desktops and some other to avoid the window cycling list. You will have to look into the compiz/compiz-fussion wikis, forums and available docs.
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

termite wrote:
What do you mean by
Quote:
Don't let the terminal be controlled by your windowmanager
?
When kwin doesn't controle your terminal, it won't have a kicker entry, no window decoration and you can disable it's borders so it seems as if the terminal was integrated directly into your background.

You just need a startscript for that or a .desktop entry which you can put into your .kde/Autostart folder (since you talked about kicker i think that you are using kde) and everything should be fine. I myself used that some time ago, but not anymore and i don't have such a start file here right know, but i think you will find enough in the www.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddabrod wrote:
termite wrote:
What do you mean by
Quote:
Don't let the terminal be controlled by your windowmanager
?
When kwin doesn't controle your terminal, it won't have a kicker entry, no window decoration and you can disable it's borders so it seems as if the terminal was integrated directly into your background.

Kwin would still be controlling the window, even if no border is drawn. You can still the kwin key bindings and the window will react to them. As well as to the configured focus policy. If kwin wansn't managing the window, you would not be able to move it pressing alt+click, like you do. Having no title and window border=0 doesn't mean the window is unmanaged. It just mean it is visually more suitable to be on the background ;)

It is precisely because kwin controls the window and manages it, that it can choose to pass its name to kicker or not.
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this: http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=2271

May work....it seems similar to the kwin window controller, which is what I use to put the terminals in the right places.
Jjeje007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure if i understand every thing but I have an eterm terminal as background and there is no problem so far with compiz-fusion, here is my bash script :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

killall Eterm
kstart --skiptaskbar --skippager --alldesktops --onbottom Eterm -x -O --buttonbar no --scrollbar no --no-cursor --font-fx none --foreground-color="#5C9CD9" --geometry 80x20+5+10

You will get an eterm terminal in the top left of your desktop, in the background, without scrollbar, cursor, decoration, etc

Here is my desktop :

[IMG]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2743/chezmoi2ek5.th.jpg[/IMG]

With compiz-fusion and a lot of transparency :lol:

And whitout compiz-fusion and the transparency :

[IMG]http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8430/chezmoimm2.th.png[/IMG]
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more or less. I want one terminal on each workspace.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: