Back on the gentoo scene: New PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dikkiedik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Back on the gentoo scene: New PC Reply with quote

So I'm back. After a long time not using gentoo, I've recently bought a brand new PC (Home made) and I now want to try Gentoo on it. My last PC was way to slow do the things I want with Gentoo.

So, I put the live cd in and got started. But right in the beginning I'm allready getting into trouble:

- X won't start (No screen found)
- On Board NIC won't DHCPCD.

Code:
This is my configuration (thanks to Everest EDIT: Running on Windows so indeed I have an IP (windows 'just works'):

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          2x , 2400 MHz (7 x 343)
      Motherboard Name                                  P5N32E SLI Plus (Asus)
      Motherboard Chipset                               Chipset NVIDIA Dual X16 SLI - ATX
      System Memory                                     2048 MB
      BIOS Type                                         Award (12/20/06)

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
      Vendor                                            Phoenix Technologies, LTD
      Version                                           ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS ACPI BIOS Revision 0302
      Release Date                                      12/20/2006
      Size                                              1024 KB
      Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
      Capabilities                                      Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
      Supported Standards                               DMI, APM, ACPI, PnP
      Expansion Capabilities                            PCI, USB

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS  (256 MB)
      Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (AU30637002364)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     SoundMAX HD Audio

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller
      IDE Controller                                    NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller
      IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
      SCSI/RAID Controller                              A347SCSI SCSI Controller
      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR4  (69 GB, IDE)
      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0  (465 GB, IDE)
      Optical Drive                                     ATAPI DVD A  DH20A1S
      Optical Drive                                     AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device  (Virtual DVD-ROM)
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Network:
      Network Adapter                                   NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller  (192.168.1.3)

Processor Properties:
      Manufacturer                                      Intel
      Version                                           Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
      External Clock                                    266 MHz
      Maximum Clock                                     3800 MHz
      Current Clock                                     2400 MHz
      Type                                              Central Processor
      Status                                            Enabled
      Upgrade                                           ZIF
      Socket Designation                                Socket 775

Do I need some special kind of driver(s) for this motherboard?

How do I proceed??

Last edited by Dikkiedik on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
djscribble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per your output you already have an IP address on there of 192.168.1.3, however, i had a similar problem, and the module you need to get your networking going is: FORCEDETH (in the kernel it is under the 10/100 section, however it still works with gigabit)

What is the output when you run dhcpcd? Also, what did you use to get that output that you provided (i looked for everest, but couldn't find anything in portage)

Also, in RE to x not starting, that is because the livecd does not have the nvidia drivers that you card requires (i have the 8800gts and had the same problem) if you change the driver in your xorg to vesa then you can start X
Dikkiedik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Everest is a program I use running on Windows. It does indeed not show in Portage. And even if it did, I haven't installed Gentoo jet on my system (because of the X problem... Way too much work to set up a second computer for the handguide (since I couldn't use LINKS because of the network problem).

The output of DHCPCD is something like: Timeout, couldn't find DHCP server, or something like that. It says it's unable to locate a DHCP server, but my router and switch are set up alright and the router is definitly serving IP's. Windows works just fine.

I read some time ago that some Nvidia onboard cards don't seem to work with Gentoo and there was a solution, however I couldn't find anything after a quick search on the forum (and didn't really know what to look for).

I'm going to try and run using the vesa driver now. If it works, my problem is halfway to being solved!! Thanks!!!
Dikkiedik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried the vesa stuff yet... So no progress on there.

Can anybody tell me why my network cards (2 onboard on a P5N32E SLI Plus (Asus) motherboard) won't work???

And perhaps a resolution to this problem??
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikkiedik wrote:
Can anybody tell me why my network cards (2 onboard on a P5N32E SLI Plus (Asus) motherboard) won't work???

It could be an IRQ routing problem.

Try booting with "acpi=off" or "pci=noacpi" and see if that helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: