Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minimal installer detects P4 as i686; 2 days later as i486??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deej1977
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Minimal installer detects P4 as i686; 2 days later as i486?? Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on an old PC using the 2007.0-r1 minimal installer as the Graphical Installer is mentioned to be buggy. I screwed up my first install by forgetting some stuff from the handbook so I wanted to reinstall it properly and now I find one very funky thing:

- The CPU is a single P4 2.8GHz. The first time I installed gentoo it did everything with i686-pc-linux-gnu in the environment & the CHOST variable in /etc/make.conf.
- Now, 2 days later, it does everything with i486-pc-linux-gnu??? Nothing changed in the HW :/.

Can anyone explain this or tell me how to make that installation cd use the i686-pc-linux-gnu profile / environment again?

Thanks!

-- one very confused linux user
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most likely used the wrong stage3 file. Did you use x86 file instead of i686?

The difference is very minimal but if you want to use i686 I'd just reinstall.
deej1977
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it happens before I even download any stage3 file... I haven't chrooted into the new environment, I'm still on the installation cd.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deej1977 wrote:
Actually it happens before I even download any stage3 file...

Um, please state which Handbook you are using and at which point "it does everything with i486-pc-linux-gnu"?? Basically what were you doing (or which file you looked at) that made you conclude that something is wrong?

If you haven't even downloaded stage3 tarball you have not even chrooted to your own system. Only after unpacking stage3 tarball you have something to look at in your own system.
deej1977
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was following the normal handbook found here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1.

It happened like this:

- I boot from the minimal CD
- I follow the steps explained in the handbook
- I download tar balls as suggested by handbook
- Chroot etc...
- Unpack stage3 tarball and notice it only unpacks i486 stuff (purely accidentally as I see the extraction flying by on my screen)
- I scratch my head ;-)
- Thinking I've done something wrong I shutdown the system completely and boot the install CD again to wipe the disks and start over
- Out of curiosity I do "env" when the install CD prompt greets me and notice it's always saying i486-pc-linux-gnu in stuff such as PATH, INFOPATH and some other parameters

I'm at work right now so I do admit I can't double check whether I download an x86 or i686 stage3 tarball. You might be right there. But still, shouldn't the CD detect my systems as i686-pc-linux-gnu?

Regardless of that, thanks for your help anyway, it's much appreciated!
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deej1977 wrote:
I'm at work right now so I do admit I can't double check whether I download an x86 or i686 stage3 tarball. You might be right there. But still, shouldn't the CD detect my systems as i686-pc-linux-gnu?

No, the installCD can be almost anything - and in this case the installCD itself most likely has i486 stuff. The crucial part is to choose the correct stage3 tarball - that has all the files that are the foundation of your system to be. I guess you simply chose the x86 one instead of i686. So do it once more using the correct tarball and I'm sure it will work properly.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deej1977 wrote:
Well I was following the normal handbook found here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1.
A wise decision ;-)
deej1977 wrote:
It happened like this:

- I boot from the minimal CD
- I follow the steps explained in the handbook
- I download tar balls as suggested by handbook
- Chroot etc...
- Unpack stage3 tarball and notice it only unpacks i486 stuff (purely accidentally as I see the extraction flying by on my screen)
You unpack first, then chroot.
deej1977 wrote:
- Out of curiosity I do "env" when the install CD prompt greets me and notice it's always saying i486-pc-linux-gnu in stuff such as PATH, INFOPATH and some other parameters.
It does not try to detect anything. The CD was compiled for i486 so that it can run on a widest range of computers.

Just make sure you unpack the i686 stage3.

Hth
deej1977
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa, Neysx,

Thanks for the help! I will try it tonight and give it another go!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: