Problems with Gensplash [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueNote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Problems with Gensplash [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a recent follower of Gentoo. Previous experiences with other dists, namely Debian, but Gentoo and its community seems to fit me better =)

I am trying to install gensplash but I'am having some problems here...
I am following this well written how to of Gentoo Wiki http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash

I am using a customized 2.6.20.6 vanilla kernel patched with the fbsplash patch. My arch is x86_64 (amd64).
I enabled all the options reffered on the above how-to. (Using vesafb not vesafb-tng, I know that there is an alternative suitable also for amd64 systems uvesafb, but I want to solve this problem before trying uvesafb)

I emerged splash-utils (1.4.2, current stable on the portage tree) and also some themes.
Added the splash service to the boot runlevel so I have a splash before init enters in the default runlevel.

However I'm unable to get a silent splash. The consoles have the background of the theme, but I don't have a screen with a progress bar in the silent mode.
For now I don't want to enable fbsplash earlier in the boot process, so I skipped the part that requires to use an initrd image with the necessary theme and tools inside.
This is the setup used in the livecd of gentoo for example. When you boot a livecd after init starts you get a nice silent boot screen with a working progress bar as well as a console with a background. If you press F2 you are able to switch between silent and verbose mode. They also don't use an initrd imaged with the theme included. I just want to enable the same behaviour present in the liveCD.

Initially I suspected of my kernel configuration, so I just copied the kernel and initrd image used in the livecd as well as the relevant /lib/modules directory and boot my system with that kernel. The strange thing is that I'm also unable to get a silent splash, only the consoles have the background. So this means that the problem is in other component, not in my kernel configuration. I mean if I use the liveCD everything works but if just boot the system with the same configuration present in the liveCD (kernel,initrd image and modules)it doesn't work. =(

My grub configuration looks like this:

Code:

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.20.6 (customized vanilla)
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.20.6 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791 splash=silent,theme:livecd-2007.0 console=tty1
   initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.20.6

I don't know what it can be. The system logs don't shoe any problems relating with vesafb or splash-utils.

(In the process I already tried to use a gentoo-sources kernel that already has the fbsplash patch applied, but with no success)

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all

Last edited by BlueNote on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueNote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Ok I found the problem.

I was getting a message at boot saying "the file system mounted in / doesn't contain the /dev/tty1"
This message doesn't appear on the system logs :( that's why I didn't notice it.

Ok but what was the problem causing this message?

Gensplash needs to access /dev/tty1 before /dev is mounted and handled by udev. This won't prevent the machine from booting but the silent mode of gensplash will not be activated.

To correct this issue you must make sure that /dev/tty1 entry is there, try the following

Code:

mount --bind / /lib/splash/tmp
   mknod /lib/splash/tmp/dev/tty1 c 4 1
   umount /lib/splash/tmp

I got this workaround from here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351048-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html?sid=38eb90a32808e0b8b9e2ec0ca330bd06

I will add this to the troubleshooting section of the gentoo wiki article about gensplash
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: