DRM WMA - is there a solution for linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: DRM WMA - is there a solution for linux Reply with quote

Does there exist any program or method to crack drm wma or is there some kind of workaround, so it will be possible to play these files on a linux system?

If I google on this subject I find programs and solutions if your on a Windows system. But is it really necessary to have Windows installed just to be able to play these files on my linux system?
I hope not...

If someone has ideas or help or just comments on this subject, I would like to hear about it!
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does there exist any program or method to crack drm wma or is there some kind of workaround, so it will be possible to play these files on a linux system?
And if there were, you might get sued for violating the DMCA.. :roll:

well, there is the bruteforce workaround: burn the files to a audio-cd, and rip them to a bit more linux compatible format (ogg, or mp3)

just my .02$
V.
Kobin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not illegal to break drm in Denmark where I live or in most of europe. In fact on the homepage for the Danish Ministery for Cultur it is mentioned that it is legal to break the drm protection, to play legally bought media on the kind of device you want. Linux is even mentioned as an example...

But on the advice: If I buy a wma that is drm protected online, which program could do what you refer to?
I tried to burn it to a CD using k3b as a audio cd. Then I tried ripping it using Grip to .ogg without succes. Well it seems to be doing everything it should, but when I try to listen to it theres is only a short noice as if some error occured...
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not illegal to break drm in Denmark where I live or in most of europe...
I wasn't sure from where you are...

I wasn't referring to a specific program. I meant to burn it in windows - or any other environment that understands wma-drm - and the rerip it (I use kaudiocreator) to a suitable format. For some reason I was under the impression that there was still a windows around.
the idea come from using the itunes-music-store: Burn a cd in itunes - with protected material - and rip it to mp3.

AFAIK this is no program that understands drm protected media under linux. What you could try, is to install wine and some program that understands it - iTunes does not work (in wine) IIRC.

I hope that clarified my idea.

cheers
V.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is simple: don't buy drm media.

Ok, a bit more serious answer (not that the above one isn't serious): Look here. The tools are for windows, but maybe they will work with wine.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
The solution is simple: don't buy drm media.

Ok, a bit more serious answer (not that the above one isn't serious): Look here. The tools are for windows, but maybe they will work with wine.

It is indeed very serious. If we support this kind of fascism where you don't even own the files you pay for, then we are asking for even more trouble in the future. There are a lot of ways to buy music without supporting drm. :wink:

Making a drm decoder would put the developers in a weak legal position in some countries, and even more, we would also be supporting that behaviour from the free world. I don't want that, if you ask me.
Kobin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually like nothing better than not using drm protected files. But I am a classical musician by profession and often I want to buy the music I am playing. Of course I could just add more CD's to my collection, but often I need to listen to just one track of some CD I will never need again and a lot of times it will take way to long time to order the music since a lot of it is not in shops.....

But of course if someone were to guide me to a page on the internet where they have an extensive collection of all kinds of classical music you can buy legally where the files are not drm protected, then my problem would also be solved.
There are a lot of sites with classical music to download but none I have found that has other than the most popular music.

I will try some of the advices given to me in this thread.!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Making a drm decoder would put the developers in a weak legal position in some countries, and even more, we would also be supporting that behaviour from the free world. I don't want that, if you ask me.

Maybe you could clarify what you mean by this....
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobin wrote:
I would actually like nothing better than not using drm protected files. But I am a classical musician by profession and often I want to buy the music I am playing. Of course I could just add more CD's to my collection, but often I need to listen to just one track of some CD I will never need again and a lot of times it will take way to long time to order the music since a lot of it is not in shops.....

But of course if someone were to guide me to a page on the internet where they have an extensive collection of all kinds of classical music you can buy legally where the files are not drm protected, then my problem would also be solved.
There are a lot of sites with classical music to download but none I have found that has other than the most popular music.

I will try some of the advices given to me in this thread.!

I don't buy anything online, maybe cause I work with computers everyday, and like to do mundane tasks by myself, and not in front of a screen. So, I can't tell you about any site that does so, but I know someone who can:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=es&q=buy+classical+music+online+-drm&btnG=Buscar&lr=

Choose any site you want.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobin wrote:
Quote:

Maybe you could clarify what you mean by this....

To give people tools to use this would vulnerate the purpose of the drm itself. It depends upon the legality on each country, of course. And i am not too smart about the legal issues. So, I can't elaborate much more in the issue. I just can put an example: dvddecrypter stopped its development because legal issues. DVD makers did not like that program, because it was able to read and decrypt a propietary encryption algorythm. This is, mostly, the same case.

About the other issue, I can tell you that there is no need to support drm on linux, because we already have open standards without drm that work well, and are nicely and broadly supported. I would be happy if I don't see "technologies" like drm step into linux. I would not like that at all.

EDIT. add to that that wma is a poor audio format. I would preffer ogg or flac, which are loseless. That way, you pay for real music, not a low copy that someone made and blocked with drm crap. mp3 is not much better either.
der.gecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLKIKIV
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
add to that that wma is a poor audio format.
WMA is actually a good format, especially at low bitrates. See this listening test.

i92guboj wrote:
It is indeed very serious. If we support this kind of fascism where you don't even own the files you pay for, then we are asking for even more trouble in the future.
This, I fully agree with. If we buy drm media, even only to break the drm afterwards, we give the impression that we somehow accept stores selling drm media.

I realize that there is no choice sometimes, but at least try to find a legal drm-free solution first.
Kobin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone could break drm easily after buying, in the end I think they would have to let the idea go. Why maintain something if it had no real effect?
der.gecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do it to annoy us^^

css, the "protection" of the dvd was cracked within a few weeks and the developers knew, that it would happen. it's just a matter of the industry feeling "safe" nothing more nothing less.

edit:

it's always the same pattern:

1. industry feels betrayed by "pirates" or at least wants "security"
2. copy protections are created or improved
3. someone cracks it (most crackers do it for fun, others for political reasons)
4. goto 1.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobin wrote:
If everyone could break drm easily after buying, in the end I think they would have to let the idea go. Why maintain something if it had no real effect?
Because they're stupid. There's no other explanation. They spend a whole lot of money on a drm scheme that inconveniences legitimate, honest users like yourself under the pretense that they need it to fight piracy. The drm scheme gets broken. Companies spend even more money on a new drm scheme that screws legitimate users even more. It gets broken again. Rinse, repeat.

The thing is, I fail to see where the connection is between pirates and drm anyway. You see, pirates get the drm-stripped version in the first place, they have no contact whatsoever with the drm'd version. So really, the only one who gets screwed are legitimate users.

Of course, not all are that stupid. EMI sells drm-free music on iTunes. Wal-Mart now sells drm-free music too. So there is hope at least in the music industry. The movie industry might take a bit longer, sadly. Fox and Sony being the worst offenders.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
i92guboj wrote:
add to that that wma is a poor audio format.
WMA is actually a good format, especially at low bitrates. See this listening test.

I dont care about charts, cause I could make my own with different numbers. No lousy format is good format for a professional in the field of music, because lousy format erase data randomly, the same you can't compare jpeg to png cause of the same reason: jpeg is a lousy format. Period.

WMA is lousy. WMA9 is not lousy, but is trashed with drm, which is even worse. What if you want to play your music in many different machines? Let's say, your desktop pc and an iPod? It just makes our lives more difficult.

If you want lossless codecs, and thus, an optimum quality, use monkeys audio (ape) or flac into an ogg container.

I'm not going deeper into the drm policy, because I hate those debates, and they are useless anyway.
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: DRM WMA - is there a solution for linux Reply with quote

Kobin wrote:

If I google on this subject I find programs and solutions if your on a Windows system. But is it really necessary to have Windows installed just to be able to play these files on my linux system?
I hope not...

If someone has ideas or help or just comments on this subject, I would like to hear about it!

(Coming back to the original question)

You did try google? According to this blog post, there's a proggy you can use under wine to accomplish what you want.
andriy155
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how about a simple use of a drm-protected media? For example, if I subscribe to a drm-protected audio stream, is there any way to listen to it on Linux? Not in my knowledge:(
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get too OT...here's a must-read on the topic of DRM...it's from the blog of Yahoo Music General Manager Ian Rogers about how he/they refuse to continue down the DRM path:

http://www.fistfulayen.com/blog/?p=127

...simply an awesome read. I really do think things are going to change. Between the God-awful PR the industry is getting about that $222,000 fine, all the press that Radiohead is getting by successfully selling their CD in mp3 format (for whatever you're willing to pay), and opinions like Ian Rogers', I think it's becoming clear that the industry will have to change or die.

Myself...I'd never buy anything with DRM protection even if I could use it, as I refuse to support it's use in any way. I'd simply buy the CD and rip it myself before I'd ever do that.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: