View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Low end computer Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an old laptop, a pentium II with 96MB of RAM and I was thinking about putting it to use with linux.
I would only use it to listen to music, browse the web, IM and watching a few videos.
I was thinking about installing debian, because gentoo would take a very long time to compile on such an old system, with xfce. I've never used xfce, I know it's very light, so I was wondering if it would run smoothly. Another thing are applications. Which ones are the best, as well as lightweight, to browse the web(I believe it's firefox), listen to music, watch films and IM.
Thanks
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Low end computer Reply with quote

tmafcerqueira wrote:
Hi,
I have an old laptop, a pentium II with 96MB of RAM and I was thinking about putting it to use with linux.
I would only use it to listen to music, browse the web, IM and watching a few videos.

Slackware is nice for low-end systems, or you could go with an old version of an operating system. A bit more ram would give you AMAZING performance boosts, and totally worth the money. You're going to have trouble with only 96mb, unless you're VERY careful.
tmafcerqueira wrote:

I was thinking about installing debian, because gentoo would take a very long time to compile on such an old system, with xfce. I've never used xfce, I know it's very light, so I was wondering if it would run smoothly.

I've had some luck with xfce. It is rather light, but again, up your ram. You may also consider working without a desktop manager and using fvwm or something.
tmafcerqueira wrote:
Another thing are applications. Which ones are the best, as well as lightweight, to browse the web(I believe it's firefox), listen to music, watch films and IM.

NO FIREFOX!!! It is the MOST bloated web browser EVER (Well, maybe not, but ESPECIALLY on old systems it will be almost unusable). Get something like Dillo or, well, your options are a little limited. For music, get XMMS or something similar. Not bloated, and even gives you a GUI ;) ! Movies will give you a bit of a problem because of your system, especially at your ram. Poke around mPlayer and XINE. I believe Pidgin is standalone for IM?
tmafcerqueira wrote:

Thanks

Up your ram, get either an old distro or one made for old stuff (AKA slackware ;) ), and careful what programs you grab.

Good call, not going for Gentoo. Great for new systems, but not-so great for "legacy*" stuff.

poly-p man

* "Legacy" is the P.C. term for Old :D

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
s0ulslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfce is a Desktop Environment, not just a Window Manager. It should provide a fairly complete suite of apps that'll take care of almost everything you want/need.

Videos/Music: Xfmedia, part of the Xfce Project. Uses libxine and works pretty well here from experience here.

IM: pidgin is about the only "full featured" multi-protocol client that works well

Since Xfce is gtk+ based you might try a lightweight browser such as epiphany or galeon (not sure if both are maintained/developed anymore)

The ram shouldn't be too big a problem with just Xfce/Xfce apps, but once you get outside that realm (especially if you use Firefox) you'll want atleast 256mb+

Have Fun
Alcap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't buy more ram because it's a laptop. It's an ASUS F7400 and it's currently running windows 98 SE.
I thought about not having a desktop environment, just X+evilWM, or any other window manager you might sugest, but if I install a program like pidgin it will install the gtk libraries, and it would be pretty much the same as having xfce, am I right?
Another thing is that, I've never seen a computer with just 96MB of ram. Usually this is not the exact amount, I've seen windows (and linux) giving me wrong ram numbers. For example, on this computer I have 1024MB of ram. When the computer boots, it says 1024 on the bios checksum, windows recognizes 1024MB, but linux only recognizes 826MB. I'm really hoping that this is such a case, and I have in fact 128MB. Is there any way to check?
By the way, why not debian? I mean, without gnome it's as good as any other distro, am I right? I've never used slackware, and I know that it doesn't have a package manager, and that gives me creeps :lol:
Thanks for the help :wink:
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96 is actually a reasonable number: one 32mb stick and one 64mb stick.

You should be able to get some more ram for it on craigslist or ebay. Google the model and see if you can find what weird old ram it takes...
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmafcerqueira wrote:
I can't buy more ram because it's a laptop. It's an ASUS F7400 and it's currently running windows 98 SE.
I thought about not having a desktop environment, just X+evilWM, or any other window manager you might sugest, but if I install a program like pidgin it will install the gtk libraries, and it would be pretty much the same as having xfce, am I right?
Another thing is that, I've never seen a computer with just 96MB of ram. Usually this is not the exact amount, I've seen windows (and linux) giving me wrong ram numbers. For example, on this computer I have 1024MB of ram. When the computer boots, it says 1024 on the bios checksum, windows recognizes 1024MB, but linux only recognizes 826MB. I'm really hoping that this is such a case, and I have in fact 128MB. Is there any way to check?
By the way, why not debian? I mean, without gnome it's as good as any other distro, am I right? I've never used slackware, and I know that it doesn't have a package manager, and that gives me creeps :lol:
Thanks for the help :wink:

Can too buy more ram!! A quick search pulls up this. You laptop has 32 mb of ram soldered on, and can be upgraded to 288mb (256 + 32). You don't _need_ it up that high, but it would be cool ;)

I like the idea of no DE. I personally like FvWM, but you can go for just about anything.

I'll say, in addition to my previous post, that IM software might be a bit tough to get for you system.

Debian is alright, but AFAIR, Slackware is actually optimized for older stuff, and may run a bit faster. It DOES have a package manager, BTW. Though at that rate, you might as well look at FreeBSD also.

poly-p man

BTW, how big is your hard drive? That could help determine what you can/can't do.

Alcap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6GB. It's big enough, I believe.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, give yourself (somewhat) generous swap. Remebr that memory is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than swap, bu still, it is VERY useful.

poly-p man

mbreith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running FVWM and Firefox and I am using about 210MB of ram doing it. The largest drain on the ram is firefox, which is using over 10% of the total.

As for installing things that use gtk+ or qt libraries, it is not the same as actually running the desktop. If a program needs one of the libraries, it will load just the libraries that it needs and maybe some supporting programs. I am not entirely sure on the details. Running the actual desktop loads many more libraries than just a single application would.
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Good call, not going for Gentoo. Great for new systems, but not-so great for "legacy*" stuff.

Actually, I don't agree! I have installed gentoo on low end machines before, and with careful choice of packages, USE flags and compiler settings you can build a very light system.

Of course, compiling big packages takes ages, but if you have a powerful desktop or server nearby you can do a stage 3 install and then use distcc.

A 6GB drive is big enough, but yes you need a bit more ram. You will end up using firefox because dillo will be incompatible with too may web sites.

As for a wm, don't overlook enlightenment e16 if you want something lightweight but different, or icewm if you want something lightweight and not different.
Alcap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly install gentoo, but it will take ages to compile.
I was trying to avoid upgrading, but I really don't see much choice.
Should I install the newest version of the distro(I'm still trying to decide which one is the best), or should I look for an old version?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmafcerqueira wrote:
I would gladly install gentoo, but it will take ages to compile.
I was trying to avoid upgrading, but I really don't see much choice.
Should I install the newest version of the distro(I'm still trying to decide which one is the best), or should I look for an old version?

My official position is that you should go with either a new Slackware or an old RedHat.

Just remember, whatever you do, you will definitely sacrifice usability because your system is old.

You could so gentoo with DistCC, but I still say it's not your best option.

poly-p man

linuxpyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bendy wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

Actually, I don't agree! I have installed gentoo on low end machines before, and with careful choice of packages, USE flags and compiler settings you can build a very light system.

Of course, compiling big packages takes ages, but if you have a powerful desktop or server nearby you can do a stage 3 install and then use distcc.

A 6GB drive is big enough, but yes you need a bit more ram. You will end up using firefox because dillo will be incompatible with too may web sites.

As for a wm, don't overlook enlightenment e16 if you want something lightweight but different, or icewm if you want something lightweight and not different.

Search for the exact procedure, but it should be possible to run an NFS server on the low-end laptop, mount / on a higher end PC, and the chroot into that. That way you can do compiling on the higher end machine for the laptop system. Another option of course is to just create binary packages.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're bashing firefox and all, I feel that I'm obligated to tell you about the alternatives for firefox.

SwiftFox is a stripped-down version of Firefox. Basically, it's what firefox used to stand for, but is built off of the latest firefox builds.

Opera is very reputable, especially on machines that have less resources. I use it as my primary browser, but there are the occasional sites that I have to visit that require that I use either something like that uses either the Gecko engine (e.g. firefox & netscape) or the Trident engine (e.g. Internet Explorer)
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: I have an P2 notbeook with gentoo running Reply with quote

Hi!

I also have some old notebook with Gentoo installed. It's an old Toshiba Tecra8100 (P-II, 366MHz, 192MB RAM (of 256max), 30G HDD). Gentoo runs great on this device.

I'm using XFCE4 as a desktop environment. All XFCE apps are starting very fast, and i don't even have superspecial CFLAGS (-O2 -pipe -fomitframepointer) or have done some other tricks. I really recommend XFCE as an desktop-env for this laptop!

Starting Firefox is a bit slower on this notebook, but it's usable when it's running. But don't try pages with many animations/flash on it, they will eat all your cpu-power. Maybe try Opera?
Music playback is done mostly with Audacious, but i gave mpd and some clients a try. Might be a good alternative for you music playing needs? Yes, MPD and its client are running on this laptop.
I also have VLC installed, i wanted to see how it would work out. It works, but the CPU limits the experience, as it too often cannot play the movie smoothly (DIVX AVI, a VCD should work better).
Curious as i am, i also tried some emulations and found out that some NES emulations were not so bad on the machine.

I can only support the suggestions to buy more RAM! It was funny to see that you never saw a system with 96MB before ;o) It will work with 96MB, but don't try heavy web surfing! Music Playback should be pretty ok with it. Hey, i also have an old p1-233 lappy with whoping 72MB RAM and it played music very well (audacious and XFCE) :o)
But your exeperience of using the laptop really gets better with more ram! Just buy 128MB to have 192MB in total. For me it is enough to surf around while listening to music.

Compiling is of cource possible on this machine, but of course it is slooow :o) Compiling Firefox for example takes several hours...
I did the install using a newer machine (AthlonXP 2.8). Basically i followed the install instructions, but i did a chroot into a directory on the bigger machine and installed the whole system into that dir. After all SW was compiled and installed, i made a tarball out of it and transferred it to the laptop. I think i got some bootdisk from somewhere (maybe some rescue disk?) and booted it. The tarball was burned to a CD. I prepared the disk of the laptop and extracted the tarball. Some additional touches and there you go: Gentoo installed on an old notebook. Maybe you could check the alternative install guides for some ideas how to better install gentoo on this laptop.
You could also just take out the disk and but it to a bigger desktop machine and install it there :o)

In general, your old notebook is pretty well suited for some browsing, small office and music playback tasks.

have fun! :)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur: Gentoo should be just fine. The nice thing about Gentoo is that the base install is sooo lean. My smallest system is a 90 MHz Pentium I, initially with 96MiB of RAM and a single 5.5GiB hard drive. This system is still in service as my home router, although it now has 128MiB of RAM and a slightly larger hard drive. I also have distcc installed now but initially did all the compiles locally. As I recall, glibc took about 2 days to compile. :o

- John
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary distros like Slackware are a lot quicker to get running than Gentoo by far. Slackware in particular is nice because it uses much simpler config layout (More BSD-style than SystemV or Gentoo-style), and the tgz package system is so basic that you can easily compile (./configure && make && DESTDIR=~/test/ make install) your own packages with a lot less hoop-jumping than you'd need in Gentoo.

Of course it has no dependency checking and you can only upgrade the 'edges', and not stuff like GCC or X. Because it would be painful.

Gentoo would seem like a good distro at first, but the compiling would kill you - The first incarnation of this server I used with Gentoo was, I think, an AMD K6-3 400 - Thank smeg it was a server because I literally had to leave it running for DAYS after installing 2005.0 and trying to upgrade (The fact that I had a 256kb DSL connection didn't help).

If you could somehow get around that, it wouldn't be so bad.

I think Slackware is still optimized for i386 for maximum compatibility, and while x86 CPUs have been very good at optimizing i386 code on account of Windows being compiled for it, there will be a slight performance loss. Nothing major 'tho.

I actually used KDE on the K6-3, so it can be done, but you need to treat it a bit careful and not open loads of stuff at once or turn on all the flashy stuff.

Current versions of KDE are a lot bulkier, as is X, so I'm not sure how far your lappy can go there.
XFCE is a good choice, but if you're a classic Unixen you could forgo that sort of thing altogether and just use a lone Window Manager (Like we did in the old days young whipper snapper! :P).

Nice ones I've tried include FVWM, AfterStep, Blackbox, IceWM, AmiWM and Window Maker.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
If you could somehow get around that, it wouldn't be so bad.
Well, what I do is to get distcc working as quickly as possible. That takes a lot of the pain out of the install. And, it keeps all of my boxen homogeneous.

- John
Alcap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I have an P2 notbeook with gentoo running Reply with quote

Hey,
I've been browsing around some forums, I found a tuturial that uses ubuntu 5.10, X+XDM+iceWM for pc's with ram from 32 to 128MB. I don't know if it will work for me, but it seems reasonable. The only thing I would defenitly change is the distro, I would used debian. My experiences with ubuntu have not been the best. Too much instability.
Another thing that I thought about is damn small linux. I was afraid to bring it up because the only thing I know is that is debian based. Can anyone give me info about this distro? Especially if you've used it in a low end computer.
PS:
synapscape wrote:

I can only support the suggestions to buy more RAM! It was funny to see that you never saw a system with 96MB before ;o)

I've used a system with a lot less ram. It's a really old computer, with DOS. I have also a 486, a pentium 200Mhz. I'm sure their ram was lower than this pc lol. And they're all working with they're obsolete OS's :lol: I worked with all of them, the problem is that I was 4 years old, so I don't remember much about they're specs:cry: .
The only reason I said that is that I never thought about small memory modules. I simply assumed that it was an OS error. You could say that I'm a baby user :lol:
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm on holidays with my parents, and I don't have many opportunities to use the internet, so execuse my late responses.
blkdragon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have an old laptop that I am using to post this.

1. Get more ram. 192Mb minimum.

2. Up your HDD. With 6Gb, you will not be able to compile VLC's wxGTK/wxWindows packages, and your HD will die as a result. I speak from experience.

Its a PII 366 Mhz, with a 30Gb drive and 192Mb ram.

Yes, back in the day i used this beast to compile Gnome-2.14, and that took, what, 72hrs+? It was madness, and at that time i only had 128Mb ram. Plus, that doesn't include distfiles downloading time as i already had the distfiles from a friend.

The better option i find for compiling (instead of using distcc, which is a pain to setup and get going) is plugging up your lappy HD into an external hd, and hooking up to faster computer. I have used to emerge world, and it did so in around 4 hours. Much better than 72 hours!

Yes, i too tried the binary distro method. It was Ubuntu 6.06, and it ran SLOOOOW. I got so fed up with it, i said "what else can be faster?" and my friend recommended Gentoo to me.

KDE (from ArchLinux) works, but is SLOW.

XFCE is lightweight, but i found that it wasn't as easily customisable as Gnome, and had less of an "appeal" to it then Gnome.

Fluxbox would be recommended, as it is extremely lightweight, but is again, uncustomisable and lacks "appeal".

As for music playing, why not use the command line? Its lean and fast, plus you dont have to compile many extra apps to get it working! The program i'm thinking about is MPG123, and it works like a dream.

Use Os instead of O2. Will compile smaller binaries, which equals less disk space and snappier performance.

Currently running Pidgin-2.1.0, Firefox-2.0.0.6 (four tabs), MPG123 playing in background, and I'm experiencing no lag whatsoever...

And another handy tip: once you get a workable environment with all your apps etc installed, make a full complete tarball of your system, as this will reduce stress levels later on when something goes wrong and you want to reinstall.

For office apps, use Abiword, or openoffice-bin. You will like these so much more than openoffice from source! Preformace does take a hit, but you dont have to wait a day or two just so you can type a letter, hey? And you need 8+GB of disk space to even emerge openoffice from source anyways!

Gentoo is great for legacy machines, just make sure you only upgrade when there's a more powerful machine nearby (distcc) or when you have your external enclosure ready....

Cheers and Have Fun!

[quote=synapscape]I did the install using a newer machine (AthlonXP 2.8). Basically i followed the install instructions, but i did a chroot into a directory on the bigger machine and installed the whole system into that dir. After all SW was compiled and installed, i made a tarball out of it and transferred it to the laptop. I think i got some bootdisk from somewhere (maybe some rescue disk?) and booted it. The tarball was burned to a CD. I prepared the disk of the laptop and extracted the tarball. Some additional touches and there you go: Gentoo installed on an old notebook. Maybe you could check the alternative install guides for some ideas how to better install gentoo on this laptop.
You could also just take out the disk and but it to a bigger desktop machine and install it there :o) [/quote]

yes, i agree with this totally. Good on you, synapscape!

Any other questions, dont hesistate to ask!

Toshiba Portege 7020CT
PII, 366Mhz, 192Mb RAM, 30GB HDD, XP & Gentoo

Hewlett Packard 8833
PIII, 1Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 80+40Gb HDD, XP & Gentoo

Non-Branded Computer
P4, 1.6Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 160Gb HDD, XP & Gentoo
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Of course it has no dependency checking and you can only upgrade the 'edges', and not stuff like GCC or X. Because it would be painful.

Not true. They have a 'current' branch also, and a tool to check for updates. I forget what it is, but linuxquestions.org had a fairly large Slackware userbase the last time I used it. In fact, I believe that slackware's main forum is on linuxquestions
zkosty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Inspiron 5000e Reply with quote

I have just recently installed Gentoo on Inspiron 5000e laptop with approx 300 MB RAM and Pentium III. It was not so bad but some compiles still took half a day (e.g., GCC or Firefox). I also have a faster desktop so I tried DistCC but it did not seem to speed up anything almost at all, besides, emerging things like GCC won't use DistCC anyway.
I never considered another distro simply because I have Gentoo on the Desktop and that simplifies things for me.
1. So reading this forum, I got cheered up with the idea of using NFS or hard disk enclosure to mount the laptop hard disk on a higher end machine, chrooting, and compiling there. Can you somebody post a small how-to about this? Eg, compatibility of USE flags, architecture, GCC versions, is any of these an issue? Except for CHROOTing, do you need to issue any other commands before you start emerging?
2. I installed it on a 2 GB partition (this excludes /home /boot and swap), and to my surprise, after I installed the basic stuff I like to have (Fluxbox, Firefox being the major big applications) I found out I used up some 90% of this space even after deleting all the distfiles. So I moved /usr/portage on the Desktop and use it over NFS, but I still only have less than 500 MB space. I would love to install OpenOffice also but there isn't enough space. Now I am reading on this forum how lean a gentoo BASE installation can be - what have I done wrong?
3. It is true, I fear the day this laptop harddisk fails and I will have to start everything over again. How exactly would you go about tarballing the whole installation? Can be done over NFS ? Do I have have to mount the partitions separately (root, /boot, and /home)? What will be the exact tar command to preserve all the links, permissions, etc. ?
thanks
zkosty
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:

Just remember, whatever you do, you will definitely sacrifice usability because your system is old.

For me, it would be the other way around: to change from fvwm to kde would be a usability and functionality loss (and I will better keep for myself my opinion about gnome :twisted: ). Of course, to each his/her own. I don't think that xfce will perform any better than kde or gnome at all. Something like fluxbox or fvwm will compile in some minutes and will allow you to build a good looking and functional desktop easily using so little system resources.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

For me, it would be the other way around: to change from fvwm to kde would be a usability and functionality loss (and I will better keep for myself my opinion about gnome :twisted: ). Of course, to each his/her own. I don't think that xfce will perform any better than kde or gnome at all. Something like fluxbox or fvwm will compile in some minutes and will allow you to build a good looking and functional desktop easily using so little system resources.

Gawd, I forgot this thread was around ;)

Try Redhat 3.0.3! I'll scp you the iso ;)

poly-p man

ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkdragon wrote:

2. Up your HDD. With 6Gb, you will not be able to compile VLC's wxGTK/wxWindows packages, and your HD will die as a result. I speak from experience.

I'd go for mplayer instead. Especially on a low resource system!
There's also the option of mplayer-bin if compiling this one app isn't crucial to you. Mplayer's built with some nice runtime cpu architecture detection and optimisation, so platform-specific compile doesn't gain you much.
Quote:

Fluxbox would be recommended, as it is extremely lightweight, but is again, uncustomisable and lacks "appeal".

Fluxbox not customisable?! Au contraire! By it's very nature it allows you to customise far more than with Gnome/KDE.
See http://www.gentoo-portage.com/x11-wm/fluxbox for a small taste of what Gentoo users (including me - the fluxaqua screenshot is mine) have done with it. There are vast resources out there showing you how to set it up as you like, not least of which is the very helpful Gentoo/fluxbox community :) Thoroughly recommend flux' for your system.
Quote:

As for music playing, why not use the command line? Its lean and fast, plus you dont have to compile many extra apps to get it working! The program i'm thinking about is MPG123, and it works like a dream.

I can't recommend XMMS highly enough. Still the best!
Quote:

And another handy tip: once you get a workable environment with all your apps etc installed, make a full complete tarball of your system, as this will reduce stress levels later on when something goes wrong and you want to reinstall.

This is an excellent tip.
If you've got plenty of storage space elsewhere though, you might gzip to .tar.gz instead: Lower compression, but bzip2 takes an awful lot of processor time.

Starting your install might be best done with an old Gentoo x86 Universal CD. I started with 2004.1. The handbook included is brilliant (the original drobbins et al effort), and it includes a stage 3 tarball saving you compiling the base packages.. just what the doctor ordered in my view.
The new 2006/2007 LiveCDs are i686 only.

Bring back the x86 Universal CD! :D

Let us know how it goes, and post screenshots/pictures!

Andy

Edit: They've taken down the old universal CDs from the main mirrors. Does anyone know if they're still hosted somewhere?
You might have to go for slackware or similar (arch linux?).

Edit(2): I forgot about the minimal x86 CD. Thanks to cruxeternus for pointing it out. That would be the thing to use, with a stage 3 tarball and the Full Handbook.

Last edited by ahurst on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: